VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry on tour 2018
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 pm 

After so much doom and gloom on here I attended Bristol with not a little trepidation. But I was very pleased with the performance and really enjoyed it. Highlights for me were Streetlife (unexpected) and STTY and IFTIS. Yes I would like ideally to hear a wider range of songs especially from IYM and more recent solo albums but I wonder whether at least in part the reasoning (as I am sure others will have commented) is that former Roxy numbers allow the band more spotlight for their talents (esp Jorga) . I appreciate many of his solo numbers have instrumental parts but do they allow the same opportunity.

Somebody either on here or maybe twitter felt drumming over dominated. I thought it kept a good pace and enjoyed it.

Recognising the weaker voice (no criticism as he's older) I did wonder slightly whether MTThis and Oh Yea worked for him.

The last mainstream 5 yes - but thats been discussed and crowd seemed to enjoy

Anyway very enjoyable .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 am 

Streetlife was replaced by Don't Stop The Dance at Birmingham.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:14 am 

pmctbc wrote:
Streetlife was replaced by Don't Stop The Dance at Birmingham.

Oh dear, awful decision.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:28 pm 

Like Angel Eyes, I too was nervous about my trip to Oxford on Friday night. In fact I didn't really think much about it at all ! However both my husband and I were surprised and relieved at how good the concert was. Firstly it was sold out and there were a lot of die-hard fans there, who were on their feet after " The Main Thing " . The lighting was sumptuous and the band played well particularly Jorja and Marina. Bryan's voice managed to last the evening - the only weakness being on " More than This " and " Love is the Drug ". More so, he was thoroughly enjoying himself and seemed genuinely humbled by the reception he was getting from the whole theatre. Also we managed to join the throng at the front ( we were on row K ) for the last few songs without being shepherded back to our seats ( as in previous visits to the New Theatre ! ). This added to the atmosphere and it was a privilege to be up close to some tremendous harmonica playing on LST from our man. Street Life was terrific but then it has a special place in my heart as it was the first record I ever bought by RM. Finally afterwards, Bryan very graciously sat in his car and signed autographs There was quite a crowd too ) although no photos allowed due to the flashes. I have met him 6 times previously but this time he talked to me for quite a long time. This was a much better experience than a couple of years ago in Oxford when he rushed off. Therefore those who have yet to see him - enjoy ! We both had a wonderful evening .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 pm 

Watching Live in Paris , at Le Grand Rex, March 2000 , as a warm up for tomorrow’s show at the Palladium.
It’s working, but wow, almost two decades have passed.
Noted that a few old favourites are still on the setlist. - Bitter Sweet, Out of the Blue, Oh Yeah, Avalon, plus 3 of the Big Five encore.
It’s a great piece of work, though, carried off with panache.
The Only Face, with Ferry on piano and Tomaso on trumpet is the highlight. And Ferry’s whistling on JG- anyone who whistles a tune im front of a live audience has supreme confidence.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:17 am 

Resistance is futile , and I know some of you sceptics may disagree, but Ferry and his very capable band put the Palladium audience in rapture last night.
Misgivings over the set list aside, it’s still a strong suite of songs, very much representative of a Roxy’s canon, with all but one Roxy Music’s albums referenced. Jorja Chalmers brought depth and , well, thrills to the show, as did Bobbie Gordon on Avalon, and , Hannah Khemoh on Jealous Guy. Spedding displayed his versatility , and virtuosity throughout, from leading on Re-make, Re-model , to picking up acoustic guitar for Zamba.
The coherent and full sound of the band and the visuals made the show complete. When they kicked off with the Main Thing, my eyes welled up, and that wasn’t the only time that this happened during the show.
I admit I am not a reviewer, I am a fan, and stand out tracks for me were Windswept, (Chalmers again) , If there is Something , (the whole band) ,Bitter Sweet, Mamouna (both Ferry), and Virginia Plain , which for some reason has a new vibe to it.
Yes, we’re all getting older, but, oh boy, let’s enjoy ourselves in the process.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 am 

I completing agree with Angel Eyes - last night's Palladium show proved to be a treat and then some. Having read the various forum posts on here in addition to a few of the local media reviews, I went with a slight sense of trepidation. All of this was unfounded as Bryan seemed on genuine good form vocal-wise, happy to be there and certainly appreciative.

Sadly for my taste there were no Young or Dylan tunes but then again those were amply covered on the last solo tour(s). The airing of Wasteland was a first, and a a welcome surprise yet there were no jaw slackening unexpected gems as was the case with the addition of Beauty Queen during the last tour. All in all I think the song set was a well chosen balance of Roxy, solo & covers drawn from his formidable back catalogue - personally I was praying for a more diverse set like he did at the Foundation Beyeler or better yet do an entire album with a smattering of other hits, I'd certainly promote The Bride Stripped Bare as my personal choice!

It's always reassuring when Chris Spedding is at the helm but I have to mention the percussionist Luke Bullen - I thought he was brilliant and would like to hear feedback from others.

I'm off to the Apollo tomorrow night where Bryan always seems so at home that he manages to pull out all the stops - can't wait. Detractors, skeptics and naysayers can squelch their fears that this would be the last outing - I for one enjoyed this tour over a few of the previous and will continue my forty-six year diehard support!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:14 am 

And remember Hammersmith

"ROXY...ROXY...ROXY...ROXY...ROXY...ROXY...ROXY..." :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 pm 

As a guitar player myself, for my money over the years Roxy and BF have had too many guitarists fighting for the same musical space. Remember the early days of Roxy - Phil playing both rhythm and lead, and doing a great job!

Although he's not one for effects, Sped is an unsung hero and will do a great job by himself. Also a lone guitarist has quite a few options these days - a Boss loopstation is always a good option.

Personally I've always preferred the smaller, tighter and less flabby bands, either RM or BF.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7