VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Set List
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:42 pm 

I was at Manchester and Glasgow. I love all the early Roxy stuff so was relatively happy and enjoyed both shows. I just wish he would play some from the first 3 solo albums for a change.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:50 am 

The set lists for any artists of a certain vintage will always be a trade off between songs for those who've never seen the performer before and those who've been countless times. No problem there - we all expect a generous selection of the best-known songs and no one would complain at their inclusion. It's the rest of the show that there's so much room for including the occasional fan favourite or three.

There's so many great songs from the Ferry/Roxy canon that haven't been played in years that could be done to freshen things up. If the argument is that LST gets a great reaction so is always played I'm sure there are others that would have a similar effect if played often enough. And The Main Thing was first an opener in 2011, surely time for a change there?

The Rolling Stones are also currently pedalling a stadium show around the UK to considerable acclaim and packed houses, featuring a set list comprising essentially nothing released since 1981 (bar one or two blues covers). Not that different to the Ferry show then. Expect that with tours every year since 2011 the novelty factor is wearing off with Bryan, unlike the Stones. If you're going to tour the same markets as frequently as he is we need a fresh approach. No significance that two of his best tours in recent memory have been in 1999 and 2013 when he has re-interpreted his own back catalogue with the aid of essentially a non-rock group backing (strings section and jazz musicians).

Now what about that promised release of the RAH show from 1974?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:04 pm 

Hipsters,

How bizarre - this site's updates on specific set lists appears to have stopped.

Have team Ferry placed an embargo on future publications less they provoke 'Frantic' discussions ?

Windswept was looking forward to seeing if a special set list had been constructed for the 'strings' evening in Holland but perhaps the answer for the foreseeable is going to be just say ditto ?

Is the needle really that stuck ?

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 pm 

More likely John is just busy.
There have been posts with video excerpts of the orchestral shows on FB.
The set list is unchanged and i'm guessing the conductor/arranger has been working with recordings from recent shows to be able to create the arrangements and rehearse the orchestra beforehand.
How I wish I could witness this show, I would also welcome a CD release of the recording.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:03 am 

Meanwhile this service can be used:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/bryan-f ... 6ee65.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:08 am 

I was at the Amsterdam show. Pretty good, but similar set list I’ve seen already. Main thing, windswept and bitter sweet benefited from orchestral arrangements. Rest either glorified string backing or silent backing.
Audience a bit stiff, not approving of standing up till v late. or at least around me (I was in 5th row). One chap next to me asked me to stop moving in my chair to avoid creating vibrations. Really. Btw, I am an Amsterdam lover and lover of its people (ex resident). Seemed like the squares turned out at AFAS where I was sitting.

Great venue though.

But if happiness equals reality minus expectations...I was rather disappointed given how much I was looking forward to it.

Ps
We could do with a serious rock strings arranger. Not (absolutely not!) Colin (mainstream jazzmeister) Good. No, bring back Ann O'Dell!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:52 pm 

Hedonistic Hepcats,

W2 is becoming more depressed by the minute.

The same set list for the Orchestral evenings makes it a 'stringalong'.
Not at all like ATGB, AEWBY or Dublin.

If this is indeed the last Fandango it is not IWNSHO a great note to finish on.

Hopefully our hero will rest and then put together something that is truly unique.

Hopefully with the brilliant Colin Good and with a set list that will show the depth, breadth and magnificence of his solo career.

If not, W2 will hold AEWBF at Brighton's Dome in his memory as the last totally 'Peak Ferry'.

What a night that was. The stars were truly aligned: Brilliant set list, brilliant arrangements, brilliant musicians, great staging and great tour book. It was even a sartorial high and to cap it all, we even got to boire un verre with our hero.
Quelle soiree !

Hopefully it will happen at 'Another Time, Another Place' ?

For the remainder of this one, Windswept thinks the set list could be printed in advance.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:45 pm 

Chers amis!
Merci, W2, on avait une soirée formidable à Paris!
Mme Oberon's highlights: Oh yeah! Avalon. Jealous guy (comme toujours!) Pour moi: Bête Noir, Windswept & Mamouna /As expected.)
Audience; Slave to love, Love is the drug, Jealous guy.
BF seemed to be in good shape. Band strong as ever. Still something was missing from last year's show in Krakow - can"t put my finger on it. Too predictable? Probably.
Is this the last fandango? That could be the reason for this set list that has the aim to please the broad audience. I saw in a Greek newspaper that he migtht play after all in Athens (outdoot, ancient arena, fantastic setting) Hope to get a confirmation of that as soon as possible!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Is this the last fandango? That could be the reason for this set list that has the aim to please the broad audience.

Cher Oberon,

Windswept is delighted that you had a good time - all Ferry is good Ferry.

Hopefully the hiatus of the never changing set list will be over and that our hero will find the energy for an "All New Shoe".

It would be great to go out with 'Peak Ferry'.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm 
Site Owner

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_41_setlist.php

J.O'B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next