VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry - 2019
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:37 am 

I am surprised by the negative reports of his tour in 2019. Does anyone really believe that Bryan, with his almost 73 years, still needs money? He has sold over 30 million albums ... when should he spend the money?
I am glad that he dares the difficult journey again and goes on tour. As he recently confirmed in an interview, he gets his motivation to give something back to his fans who have been with him for decades. Some of his fans he meets again and again, it is - as he said - a small family emerged.
I met a David Bowie fan and he said he would be happy if his hero would go on tour and if it was the same set every year.
The main thing he would still live.

VIVA BRYAN FERRY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:30 am 

W2 posted

Hipsters,
What great comments.
Naturellement Windswept supports docs idea completely. It would be Ferry nirvana.
W2 also loved Gardner’s one two postings. From le coeur !

Thank you :) and I totes / sincerely hope that your gig with a theme or 'new reason' for being ... happens soon - I second that emotion !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:50 am 

I was poised on the Royal Albert Hall site yesterday but in the end I didn’t commit.
Fond memories of 2013 will not be repeated next year.and I cannot foresee the opportunity for this tour setlist to evolve into something new.
Like Gardner, like all of us, I recognise the talent and influence of Ferry and I will always listen to his muse.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm 

To Uwe and Doc:
Would you really stick to the often played "average" version of his shows? The ones that starts with a hit and ends with a lot of them, and we all know far too good what hits I`m thinking of. That`s what he does in the more remote areas of the world, like Bodø and Bergen in Norway, for instance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:58 pm 

I have been a fan of Roxy and Bryan since 1972, been to every tour from FYP in 1973 until 2013. Then I left Europe for retirement in South Africa.
Since then I have missed a few tours but did see him in Zofingen in 2014.
I have been following the posts here since then and can understand the frustration of "been there, seen it" with very little variation in the set list.
But here I am sitting in Knysna, just 500km away from Cape Town.
So I have bought tickets to see him on 14/feb. I must say the ticket prices are very reasonable for us Europeans, about UKP 50 for the most expensive seats.
I am guessing this will be my last opportunity to see him in concert, so I will be there.
With ticket prices so high in Europe, why don't you make a holiday of it, come to South Africa (it will be summer here). See Bryan and enjoy what South Africa has to offer.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:34 am 

Very good postings in this thread.

I have been to three Ferry concerts during the last four years of which the last one in July 2018 was outstanding concerning his voice, his band, the set list and the location (a castle in Bavaria). More than this there is nothing - at least without substantial changes of the set list or the style (jazz, chanson, electronics).

As Uwe puts it I am thankful to meet my life-time idol alive in concert and not as subject to benevolent obituaries. I would suggest that Bryan records a chanson album with old and/or new material and sparse instrumentation. Or as Gardner proposes with electronic instruments as in Johnny And Mary. Even swing music works well with electronic sounds as in Robert Palmer's Riptide.

Paul Simon ends his career because he is 76 now - and because he thinks he has already written everything. On the other hand Ray Davies of The Kinks (74) has recently published his two Americana albums with definitely not his worst songs. So why shouldn't Bryan record some really new stuff?

Besides that I am sure that there are a lot of outtakes from ATGB, Dylanesque, TBSB and other albums. Why not publish them in the form of a rarity album? At the moment I am looking forward to the Babylon Berlin soundtrack album - I hope it contains some vocal tracks.

All in all I would like to see my hero rather in the studio than on stage - I am curious what he'll do next ;) .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm 

pianoman said:

All in all I would like to see my hero rather in the studio than on stage - I am curious what he'll do next.
.............................................................................................

I think we're all in agreement: Bryan will not leave the stage and say goodbye to his retirement age without releasing a new album beforehand
Here is a report from 2018:

" Ferry went on to reveal that he is “experimenting with a few things at the moment,” but did not divulge any additional details " .

VIVA BRYAN FERRY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 pm 

[quote="Uwe"]I am surprised by the negative reports of his tour in 2019. Does anyone really believe that Bryan, with his almost 73 years, still needs money? He has sold over 30 million albums ... when should he spend the money?

Cher Uwe,
Honestly, I don’t find negativity. Purely a desire for something new or re-made, re-modelled.
Some people who visit this forum have seen every incarnation of Roxy & Ferry and have enjoyed the innovation but feel that the ‘Avonmore’ tour, professional as it is, has morphed into a never ending sameness and with ticket prices as they are, it is more than legitimate to point that out and make suggestions.
Probably the caveat being that those making the suggestions (W2 included) prefer the more avante garde end of things and this will cause a tension on the pressure he will doubtless feel to deliver the commercial.
Of course, it goes without saying that we are all pleased he is doing it !
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 pm 

BF may have sold 30 million records over the course of his career, but he (and a lot of other Rock/Pop acts from the 1970s) hasn't sold a whole lot of "plasticware" (to borrow a great term from 8 Miles High) in the past 15 years. And he might have lost money on Avonmore given the cost of the video shoot for UCanDance...

Compared to LPs and CDs, Internet streaming is far far far less lucrative for recording artists; these days a key way for musicians of any vintage to generate income is to go on tour and sell tickets to live performances.

Yes BF can license his back catalog for TV shows like Berlin Babylon and this can constitute a significant revenue stream. Unfortunately for BF some of his biggest hits were written by some other artist (LST, SGIYE, JG) and even LITD (his biggest Roxy Hit, at least here in the States) was co-written with Andy M. And song-writing rights are what you want if you want to maximize value from back catalogs.

I admire BF's determination to keep touring and assemble a skilled set of musicians in his band. Over the summer I listened alot to the BF LIVE 2015 cd while driving around in my car and the instrumental backing tracks are uniformly excellent. The dicey part of the songs relate to the voice quality. Sometimes OK, sometimes only serviceable. When I saw him in 2016 I had a good time, but the magic of his voice was not there - or it appeared only fleetingly...

So I understand the trepidation of many fans on this forum who are reluctant to embrace the 2019 tour unless they can be assured that it will offer "something" new. But what ever this "something" might be it will have to be filtered through BF's 2019 Voice.

Sigh. Time keeps on slippin', slippin' into the future...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:38 pm 

[quote="pianoman”]

........More than this there is nothing - at least without substantial changes of the set list or the style (jazz, chanson, electronics).

.........I would suggest that Bryan records a chanson album with old and/or new material and sparse instrumentation. Or as Gardner proposes with electronic instruments as in Johnny And Mary. Even swing music works well with electronic sounds as in Robert Palmer's Riptide.

.........So why shouldn't Bryan record some really new stuff?

Besides that I am sure that there[/quote]

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Windswept is more than enthusiastic regarding the ever tasteful Pianoman’s suggestions.
Particularly the reference to “Riptide”.
W2 adores Palmer’s interpretation of that song. He plays it often and thinks of Robert often. What a huge talent that guy was.
Surely, Bryan’s take on ‘Johnny & Mary’ must form part of the inspiration for the future ?
Salutations,
Windswept

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next