VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Night of the Proms ...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:46 pm 

Another concert report from Erfurt:
73-year-old Brian Ferry was hit hard by the fact that not every title is given to an entire orchestra, the powerful voice of a choral soloist or a dominant saxophone. For the dandy and real grand seigneur of the evening, this Santa Claus boots was clearly too big. The former singer of the Artrock band Roxy Music contributed with "Slave to Love", "Avalon" and the John Lennon cover "Jealous Guy" while three actually indestructible staple blues classics, but remained rather short-winded and powerless. He had already lost the role as "headliner" of the evening to the Pointer-Sisters ("I am so excited") after the premiere in Hamburg, maybe because only the 70-year-old Anita belongs to the original line-up, her " Soul and Disco-with-sisters "are significantly younger.
...............................................................................................
I am very sad to have to endure these reports. Did Bryan overestimate himself? Did he really think he was only allowed to present songs by Bitter Sweet?
He is about to ruin his reputation in Germany ... no, Bryan, that did not have to be.

@Ferry Management: ends this madness !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:46 pm 

I thought the link to Jealous Guy posted on here was actually ok but have just come across this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICPr-o1Ub9M

...and quite frankly BF sounds like his voice has completely gone. Maybe a sore throat or a bad night but embarrassing regardless and painful to watch compared with his performance of the same song in the 1995 proms. I'm really starting to wish he would restrict himself to the studio henceforth after watching this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 am 

Tracy wrote:
I was sorry to hear Bryan was getting bad reviews and was removed from the headline position to earlier in the show.....

I will be happy when he has finished this Proms thing and can concentrate on his own agenda. First thing I would advise would be an outfit change. Get rid of that jacket he insists on wearing. Where's the old Bryan with a touch of bling? He's had some great outfits over the years. Needs a refresh. Blast out a few more gems like he did with Beauty Queen and Mamouna.

Hipsters,
Sage and thoughtful points from Tracy.
Sometimes there are things only your friends will tell you ...... concentrate on your own agenda Bryan. ‘Bitter -Sweet’ is a masterpiece and please return that jacket to Englebert Humperdinck !
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:47 pm 
Site Owner

Dean wrote:
I thought the link to Jealous Guy posted on here was actually ok but have just come across this...

...and quite frankly BF sounds like his voice has completely gone. Maybe a sore throat or a bad night but embarrassing regardless and painful to watch compared with his performance of the same song in the 1995 proms. I'm really starting to wish he would restrict himself to the studio henceforth after watching this.

Bryan's voice has changed for sure like anyone his age. I recently had to learn on piano Aretha Franklin's Natural Woman. I found two versions on YouTube:- the original from the 60's and her performance from around 2014 in the White House and the later one was in a much lower key so it happens to the best of singers when their range lowers.

I think the main problem with Hey Jude was that the key chosen for this song had to suit several younger singers and Bryan had to fit in with it and therefore some of the notes where outwith his 73 year old range and therefore he was forced into singing other notes within the chords at certain points in the melody.

I am sure that if Bryan had to singe Hey Jude on his own the key would be changed to suit his voice.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 pm 
Site Owner

Bryan looks and sounds more comfortable here as Let's Stick Together is arranged in a key to suit for his 73 year old voice and not the 30 year old voice when he recorded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ENzEDqo1g

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Dean wrote:

Bryan's voice has changed for sure like anyone his age. I recently had to learn on piano Aretha Franklin's Natural Woman. I found two versions on YouTube:- the original from the 60's and her performance from around 2014 in the White House and the later one was in a much lower key so it happens to the best of singers when their range lowers.

I think the main problem with Hey Jude was that the key chosen for this song had to suit several younger singers and Bryan had to fit in with it and therefore some of the notes where outwith his 73 year old range and therefore he was forced into singing other notes within the chords at certain points in the melody.

I am sure that if Bryan had to singe Hey Jude on his own the key would be changed to suit his voice.

J.O'B.

Cher J.O'B,
There is a lot in what you say but, let's be honest, balling out rock anthems in some sort of 'pop' jamboree is not an elegant route at this stage of the game.
A quality performance of the fabulous 'Bitter-Sweet' in a beautiful appropriately sized venue that has great acoustics would surely be much more his style ?
Salutations and Happy Christmas,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:26 am 

Dear J.O`B.,

I was able to experience Bryan live at his concerts in Bremen and Regensburg this year. They were great concerts.
But nevertheless I knew that his voice was raised to a different level than the reality by the technical possibilities. As long as it is credibly presented that does not bother me.
It also does not bother me that his movements have slowed down on stage and he allows himself rest periods when he either lets the backing vocalists sing parts of the songs and he simply sits in front of the electric piano on the chair. Everything is understandable and human.

But if, like Night of the Proms, the technical possibilities are exhausted and viewers wonder if Bryan is singing or just moving his lips, then that's more than questionable ...

Since I respect my idol too much, I do not put any video clips to prove this.

I'm looking forward to his first performances next year in South Africa.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:35 am 

I think I'll spare myself viewing the video in question. I've always said I recognise the fragility in the voice and how well it's suited to some of the newer material released from 2010. As such I think the learned JO'B and W2 comments are both very pertinent. That said, I agree BF needs to be far more selective about his live choices. Ditch appearances like this and select only suitable songs (from a vast repertoire) for future BF outings.
Having invested in Melbourne tickets as a gift to family there, I'm sincerely hoping for a return to more of a 'normal service' next year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:29 am 

It's absolutely true that Mr. Ferry should take his vocal range into account - and I think he does. The songs he performs are normally carefully chosen or arranged in a lower key but to be supposed to sing Hey Jude was really an unfortunate situation for Bryan.

I am very excited about the BF setlist for 2019 but I can't imagine major changes there. Up to now I haven't bought tickets for Munich 2019 because the Regensburg show this year was really great and I don't want to spoil these impressions. Only if he changed his setlist significantly I could change my mind ;) .

And now: Happy Christmas to all members of Viva! Roxy Music - have relaxed holidays and don't forget to insert some of your favourite Roxy/Ferry CDs into your player - and Christmas will be even more beautiful. Myself I hope that Santa Claus brings "3 Psalms" 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:08 am 
Site Owner

Windswept2 wrote:
A quality performance of the fabulous 'Bitter-Sweet' in a beautiful appropriately sized venue that has great acoustics would surely be much more his style ?
Salutations and Happy Christmas,
Windswept

I agree, but you also have to consider all these things come at a cost. The recent album had one low position in the charts then back out so presumably sales of the album will be low in comparison to albums like Boys & Girls, an album Bryan didn't feel the need to tour to promote it and then went on to his next studio album.

If you look at the 2013 dates with the An Evening With Bryan Ferry tour Bryan had his biggest band ever and at the same time there was a very expensive and well sold VIP Meet & Greet package for those dates. I would imagine there is a connection there.

Bryan like most creative people are, to quote a line from 'Bitter Sweet' "Gestrandet an Leben und Kunst" caught between creating their art for art's sake but at the same time have to make a living from it and I would imagine some of the things musicians do away from their main core work helps pay for that. It could be a case of you need one to support the other.

I am a part time musician in my own small way. I have a studio at home with a load of gadgets, nice guitars, expensive microphones so that I can write and record music for my own enjoyment. To justify the expense and help pay for it I will be playing two Christmas parties this weekend, where I will be playing Slade, Shaking Stevens etc as well as all the cheesy pub/function band stuff like Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally. All of this is music I have no connection with whatsoever but it is what puts the gear into my studio for me to do what I like to do as a musician. I am sure the professionals like Bryan etc have a big boys version of that to support their main work and maybe Proms is one of them.