VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Olympia enters uk chart at no.19
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:27 pm 

I sometimes think I live on another planet... 'a bad album with no soul'...???? :shock: :shock: I think Olympia is great, very sensitive too, and the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate it. No matter how much I love Roxy, and I do, I think Bryan did a great job on this one, and he deserves better than all this negative sh...comments here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:45 pm 

I agree. I think it's a great CD. I don't care if some of the songs are really old or if his voice is going. It all sounds good to me. Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix had the worst voices in music, but people still listen to them. My least favourite songs are the one's he's promoting which is a blow ! YCD, Heartache and Shameless, although , I can put up with Shameless. The rest , I love. And his version of Song to the Siren is miles better than Robert Plant's, David Gray's, George Michael's and even Tim Buckley's ! Err...in my opinion .....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:56 pm 

ann laenen wrote:
I think Bryan did a great job on this one, and he deserves better than all this negative sh...comments here.

I respect your opinion, please respect mine. Nobody has got the truth, it's always a question of personal feeling.
I just see that it's the worst selling for a Ferry's album, so I'm not alone to think it's not a good one ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:43 pm 

I knew it wouldn't sell. Even if it was the greatest album ever, it wouldn't have sold. I'm not too sure if a Roxy album would have sold much more. It's a young person's market now, in terms of chart positions. The only ones selling are really big names like Streisand, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc. Not much from his era are selling much these days. Rod Stewart seems to be successful releasing old favourites, but any new stuff isn't selling. I can't think of anyone else really.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:43 am 

Olympia is overplayed, undersung and will be consigned to the Bargain Bin at HMV before Christmas.
Ferry needs to restart Roxy.
Be the pioneer again.
Experimental. Avant-garde. Bold.
If not, it`s over.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:19 am 

Firefighter wrote:
Olympia is overplayed, undersung and will be consigned to the Bargain Bin at HMV before Christmas.
Ferry needs to restart Roxy.
Be the pioneer again.

Experimental. Avant-garde. Bold.
If not, it`s over.

I completely agree with you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:03 pm 

I think the dream is over. It's just a different era. If the Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Bryan, Bowie, Stones , McCartney, etc released a song today , it wouldn't sell. But if Westlife, Coldplay, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Cheryl Cole, JLS, etc recorded the same song and released it , it would probably get to No. 1. It's just a different era. And the well may be dry as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:52 pm 

I hope I can be forgiven for writing a eulogy for Olympia just 3 weeks after its release but here goes....too many of the songs are of a similar tempo, beat and ambience; the production is unsympathetic; some of the sound mix is muddy and the vocals too far "back" in the mix (is this to hide a failing voice? I genuinely don't know). There is a general lack of crispness and it doesn't make an impact. It's absolutely true that every one of Bryan's solo albums improves with playing and Olympia will grow on me as time goes by (!) but this is not the meister's best work...far from it. Entered the chart at 19; fell to 57 and now dropped out of the top 100. Is this Bryan's poorest album performance...I believe it is. This is sad. However, this is also an album that it's difficult to love. The live performance of "You Can Dance" on Jools Holland was excellent. Perhaps this bodes well for the New Year Roxy tour. Will the failure (I reckon Bryan will see it as such) of Olympia bring the merry-go-round back to a Roxy album...perhaps. But I sense the muse is waning.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:21 am 

I listened 5 times to it and each time it was harder.
When a good album is a bit hard to assimilate, the more you listen to it, the more you love it. It's really the contrary here and I really don't know if i will listen to it once. Even "Reason or Rhyme", the only one I really liked, seems now too long to me and boring.
And I really ask myself the interest of tracks 11 and 12 : bad, bad covers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:25 am 

Well the last time he had a failure (TBSB) he reformed Roxy. So it may happen again. I hope not. Roxy should RIP with a great 8 album legacy. A band that quit at the top,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next