VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Bryan Ferry 2019 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm 
Site Owner

The set list for the first night of the 2019 Bryan Ferry tour can be found here:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_44_setlist.php

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 2019 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:26 pm 

Oh no!!!!¡
the same set list...same songs ..he has put on the stage in the last tour ...
I think we understand there is songs that are the core of the Man and roxy mysic stuff but....It is a dissapointed think to hear always the same songs...
He needs to renovate at last half of the set list..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 am 

JO'B has made the very valid point elsewhere that this setlist, tired though it is to those of us in the UK, will be 'new' to audiences in the countries BF is visiting on this tour. My son is going to Melbourne and I hope he enjoys it - the whole ensemble ought to be able to play it in their sleep by now! That said, whilst he may pull something out of the hat mid tour as he has in the past, it doesn't bode at all well for UK audiences later, especially the RAH.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 am 

The set list certainly has not set this forum on fire.
Predictable , but if it ain’t broke , why change it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:23 pm 

For Tour 2018 we were promised "a brand new show". It wasn't.

For Tour 2019 we are told it "features songs from Avalon" (not to all tastes but there we are). So far at least, apart from the usual suspects from RM8, it is the same old same old scene again.

Years and the marketing approach may change but the set list stays resolutely and stagnantly the same.

What can they call a 2020 tour, if there is one? "Singing songs by John Lennon"? That means Jealous Guy's included. "Songs from the 1970s and 1980s"? The current set-list certainly ticks that box.

For an artist with such an extensive back catalogue, both solo and with Roxy, Bryan chooses to visit so little of it and it's getting less with every year. Maybe he can't physically perform some of the songs any more (quite possible). Maybe he doesn't like some of them. Maybe he's actually forgotten some of them completely. He should listen to his old records more often. They're very good.

If you don't play songs live anymore then, apart from in the unlikely event that your songs get played on the radio, no one is going to hear them or remember them, so the only songs that are going to get an audience reaction are the familiar ones. I'd like to hear, say "This is Tomorrow" and "What Goes On", but I'm not holding my breath for either of them any time soon. If he played either after a 40-year absence there would be whooping and hollering from those of us who have been following him for years, and a stunned silence (plus a trip to the bar) from everyone else.

I've come to the conclusion that Ferry live 2019 maybe just isn't for those of us who've been with him "for the duration" - it's only for those who've never seen him before and just want to see him do The Greatest Hits before he throws in the towel.

Sadly Ferry has become The Rolling Stones. And that isn't meant as a compliment. It could and should be More Than This.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:56 pm 

My 2 cents and I hope there is no quality control:

There sure has been a lot of expectation. Now the tension is released, and to a thundering silence. This is the flipside of time gone by. Bryan seems to know he can`t play Stone Woman or Valentine, neither Sensation nor The Chosen One, I`d guess. -Not Wildcat Days either. The tour moves on as the time flies by. It`s streamlined and money-making. He needs the money, I take it. A minimum rehearsal time. A lot of grateful listeners who seldom get a chance to hear him live, I presume.

Last edited by le freak on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:59 pm 

Totally agree with your opinión true2life!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:15 pm 

Very good posting, True2Life. You've summarized all that is to be said about this tour / set list.

Since I have decided not to go to this year's show the setlist and the first impressions from blakey have confirmed me in my decision. Yes, the band consists of very talented studio + tour musicians (Jorja, Spedding, Luke Bullen etc.), but that is what I at least expect from a Ferry concert.

But Mr. Ferry could have easily changed 10 songs from the set list and it could have been a greatest hits show all the same! At least some material of his back catalogue (8 RM + 16 BF records!!) should suit his mature voice. But another problem I mentioned in an earlier posting are the radio stations of today, as True2Life wrote.

They play let's say 1.000 songs ("greatest hits of all times") to death, from Radio GaGa to Jealous Guy. The times when radio presenters had the freedom to influence the radio listeners' taste are long gone. So let's put the blame on the advertising industry generating the boring music selection of today. Even if I doubt that people would change their radio station because they play What Goes On instead of Jealous Guy ...

What I expect from BF/RM for the future is a super deluxe edition of For Your Pleasure and Andy Mackay's demand from his latest interview: It is only right and proper from us fans when we want them to finish that last Roxy album - so do it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 pm 

Fidele Ferryistas,

Salient comments from beloved fans.

It is with deep regret that W2 has to proclaim this 'The Groundhog' day tour. To say that the needle is stuck is the understatement of the decade.

It's a testimony to the loyalty of those that haunt this hallowed cyber hall that some just plead for "a few new songs". Just a little jam please.

Sorry, Windswept can't roll with this. If there isn't a complete new set when he hits Europe, W2 isn't going, it's as simple as that. If there is a new set list, bravo Bryan, I take all this back and I'll be there.

We spend ages empathising saying " we know there are some songs you can no longer do etc.. etc..." but sorry, there is a ton of stuff you could do and you just don't. It's bad for you and it's bad for the band. Last time out everybody was note and move perfect but they also looked as bored as hell. Where is the fun in that ?

I don't say any of this with any malice but you must know yourself because you don't even bother to buy a new jacket.

W2 would prefer to stay chez-lui and play the albums. They are all excellent and 'Bitter-Sweet' is a triumph. He wants to remember the good times. AEWBF was absolutely scintillating .

Nous verrons ce que nous verrons.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:03 pm 

I'm not surprised about the set list. Solely the appearances in North America have been announced as "Avalon Tour" and will differ in content. , His concert appearances in Germany are touted in various media as a compilation of the Best of Hits (RM + Solo). The shows are all sold out. So Bryan and his management did everything right. It would also be a big disappointment to the audience if they did not suddenly get the best of hits.
Whether I like that is a completely different matter. I would be more excited about a recent Roxy album combined with a tour. Nevertheless, I look positively forward to his performance in Hamburg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next