VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 2019 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:46 pm 

The Set list..what is left to say, this night. Very disappointing and can only hope it changes significantly over the the course of the tour.
I am looking forward to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame in about 5 weeks. As they gather in NYC for perhaps some rehearsals, will be looking for any late night TV appearances etc. but doubt it. My seats overlook the main floor where the inductees and their spouses sit throughout. Will be curious if the boys even sit together.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:10 pm 

What makes me laugh is references to this (and earlier iterations of the same long outing) being a crowd pleasing 'greatest hits'. If only! Give me a truly greatest hits setlist any day as relief from the relentless peddling of these songs. If you define a 'hit' as something that troubled the chart and which those who've never seen BF would want to hear, then by my reckoning only 10 of the latest offering were singles (in the UK at least) and two of these were pretty minor hits. It just doesn't stack up. Seems to me he's neither satisfying die hard fans or the casual listener at the moment but hey, at a time when few have regard for fact and bums on seats is king, who cares?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:21 am 

Strange interpretation of Jealous Guy in Pretoria. I never seen until now that Bryan leaves the stage before the end of the song (after his whistle). Usually he lets himself celebrate after the end of the song.
But for that he has whistled again. He didn`t do it at Night of The Proms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvK6CJmWdI8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 am 

[quote="UKRichard]

“.......... . It just doesn't stack up. Seems to me he's neither satisfying die hard fans or the casual listener at the moment but hey, at a time when few have regard for fact and bums on seats is king, who cares?” [quote]

Fellow Fandangoists,

W2 thinks UKRichard is completely correct. This satisfies neither faction.

What always interested me about Ferry was his artistry. It was oh so evident in everything he did prior to ‘The Groundhog Day’ tour.

Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised and he’s using time on the road to rehearse a new set before they hit Europe ?

Windswept’s breath is not bated.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 pm 

I like the set list very much. Great songs. I thoroughly enjoyed it many times. Then the band started to look bored. Bryan too. Then groundhog Day after the Xth replay. The orchestral versions in Amsterdam were largely not very orchestral (unlike Andy's roxsymphony...superb), despite my high expectations for something different. So...I no longer book tickets for Bryan's concerts. Simple conclusion..and a shame.

I hope it delights those who have not seen this material yet, or are happy with seeing it all yet again.

I'm no fan of the Colin Good arrangements alternative thing, if I'm honest, but yet another identical setlist and same arrangements isn't what I'm looking for either. I'll save the dosh.

A rock, or unplugged, or orchestral, or xylophone, (or anything but the replica last 4 years stylee) outing with a few new arrangements of underplayed great songs...please.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:12 am 

I must admit to agreeing with the previous remarks of ones disappointment.

From a commercial point of view it probably makes sense to play
in places other than the home grounds, and to audiences who have
not seen Bryan for many, many years. The show is probably very refreshing for them them, so good luck and enjoy.

The show is the same, with just another packaging, and not what we
(long-terms fans & followers) were hoping for. It could be about making a maximium of proft from the concerts.... but why?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 pm 

StephenPep wrote:

The show is the same, with just another packaging, and not what we
(long-terms fans & followers) were hoping for. It could be about making a maximium of proft from the concerts.... but why?

Hipsters,
StephenPrep poses an interesting question.
Cynically it could be said that it offers the biggest return from the minimum effort.
Emotionally one could say that it is a comfort blancket insomuch as our hero knows he can handle it and that it has garnered universally good reviews.
Certainly in SA and Australasia where it hasn’t played it will doubtless be well recieved.
That said, with what is now close to 100 shows with the same songs, the band must be bored out of their skulls and bringing this back to Europe for the third time risks to backfire.
The irony of all of this is that prior to 2016 every show you could book with confidence to see something that would be new, different and often better. A huge amount of artistry went into those shows - big bands, big sets, different themes. It’s only since ‘16 that ‘The Groundhog Tour’ has cemented.
Let’s just hope that we are worrying about nothing and that he’ll hit Europe with a completely new show.
Salutations,
W2

Last edited by Windswept2 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:33 pm 

All of the points raised on this thread are valid, I'd say.

But let's face it , without a new album to promote , and Bitter-Sweet is by Bryan Ferry and the Bryan Ferry Orchestra, who are definitely not to be part of this tour, the songs will remain the same.
So one can choose to go and re-tread recent previous shows , or sit back and play the aforementioned Bitter-Sweet, or The Bride Stripped Bare , or Mamouna or any past work and enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:

“.....But let's face it , without a new album to promote , and Bitter-Sweet is by Bryan Ferry and the Bryan Ferry Orchestra, who are definitely not to be part of this tour, the songs will remain the same...”

Hipsters,
W2 is not so sure and will keep his powder dry until he hits Eindhoven.
In 2013 TBFO never left Europe and it would be unreasonable for him to tour other continents with such a big band but within ?
Windswept retains a glimmer of optimism. It would be a BIG risk to play the same cities three years running with the same set !
Accusations of ‘The Same Old Scene’ would rightly abound.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:02 pm 
Site Owner

[quote="UKRichard"]What makes me laugh is references to this (and earlier iterations of the same long outing) being a crowd pleasing 'greatest hits'. quote]

Back in the day when the singles charts mattered, a song was deemed to be a hit if it got into the top 40. Bryan has had 31 songs in the top 40, 16 with Roxy Music and 15 as a solo artist. Some of these songs have been in the top 40 more than once with re-mixes/re-issues etc.

I have always admired Bryan & Roxy for not always doing hit laden sets and doing many album tracks too. I concur that the last few tours have been the same hits and album tracks. Below is a list of the 31 songs Bryan has been in the UK top 40 with so far.

Roxy top 40 hits:

Virginia Plain 4
Pyjamarama 10
Street Life 9
All I Want Is You 12
Love Is The Drug 2
Both Ends Burning 25
Trash 40
Dance Away 2
Angel Eyes 4
Over You 5
Oh Yeah 5
Same Old Scene 12
Jealous Guy 1
More Than This 6
Avalon 13
Take A Chance With Me 26

Bryan Ferry solo hits

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall 10
The 'In' Crowd 13
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes 17
You Go To My Head 33
Let's Stick Together 4
The Price Of Love 7 (Lead track on Extended Play)
This Is Tomorrow 9
Tokyo Joe 15
Sign Of The Times 37
Slave To Love 10
Don't Stop The Dance 21
Is Your Love Strong Enough? 22
The Right Stuff 37
I Put A Spell On You 18
Will You Love Me Tomorrow 23

J.O’B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next