VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 2019 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:26 am 

Stabbs McKenzie: May your God forgive you, you clearly know not what you say :shock: [/color]

Maybe it's because we are 60 and prefer young women playing the saxophone, Stabbs :lol: . No, as for me, I 'd prefer Andy but will never have the opportunity to see him again. Jorja knows that she plays Andy's sax + oboe parts like a classical musician - I talked to her last year after a show in Germany. And: Andy and Jorja respect each other's work.

Windswept2: It is fun to see those youngsters, Oberon & Pianoman duelling over the best Ferry era.

And if we ever opened a discussion about the value of 'Mamouna' within Bryan's work it could be a long war of words :lol: But you know, Oberon, that I love the title track ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:19 am 

[quote="pianoman Maybe it's because we are 60 and prefer young women playing the saxophone, Stabbs :lol: [/quote]
That must be it then, I'm only just 58!!!!!
And don't forget you can still see AM & PM this October :D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:09 pm 

Cher pianoman,

No, it´s not a war of words. I know that you are true fan and your posts are always interesting to read. Et voilà - spot on with your thougts on Jorja. She performs like a classical musician - following a given script. I don´t know if I will be forgiven by God by my remarks - or for my sinful life in general - but maybe Stabbs M. will calm down a little when I say that in my opinion A.M. is by far the second most important member of RM. And who can deny that a concert also is a visual thing. To enjoy the sight of a beautiful woman is according to my experience not an age related thing but why not call it so in this strange time...
Anyway, Viva BF and the new set list!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:43 pm 

Graham Middleton wrote:
Six songs from ‘Avalon’ certainly justifies the North American tour being promoted as that. I wouldn’t be surprised if ‘The Main Thing’ replaces ‘Flesh +’Blood’ at some stage.

Mes Amis,
If our friend Graham is correct I pray to Penshaw that it doesn’t until after TRAH . Windswept loves Flesh & Blood !
Salutations W2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:12 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Graham Middleton wrote:
Six songs from ‘Avalon’ certainly justifies the North American tour being promoted as that. I wouldn’t be surprised if ‘The Main Thing’ replaces ‘Flesh +’Blood’ at some stage.

Mes Amis,
If our friend Graham is correct I pray to Penshaw that it doesn’t until after TRAH . Windswept loves Flesh & Blood !
Salutations W2

Seconded! I feel that I am probably in a minority of one on here in having great fondness for the Flesh & Blood album. Yes it has its faults but is of its time and is a great early 80s commercial album, which is presumably what they intended it to be. Roxy at Wembley on the Flesh + Blood tour was my first ever gig by anyone so I will always defend it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:46 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Cher pianoman,

....... I don´t know if I will be forgiven by God by my remarks - or for my sinful life in general - but maybe Stabbs M. will calm down a little when I say that in my opinion A.M. is by far the second most important member of RM. And who can deny that a concert also is a visual thing. To enjoy the sight of a beautiful woman is according to my experience not an age related thing but why not call it so in this strange time...
Anyway, Viva BF and the new set list!

Cher Oberon et all,

W2 has spoken to the Penshaw Gods and be reassured you are dissolved of any musical sins.

Apropos the wind instrument department, when he saw your missive, W2 thought the Stabbster would ride in hard in defence of his ‘Emperor’.

Indeed, Windswept was wondering what was taking him so long ?

It is stating the blindingly obvious to say that they are both great players but it is so true.

When it comes to sound, it could be further blasphemy but W2 actually prefers TBFO’s section. Their work supporting AEWBF tour fare transcended their TJA set. They breathed new life into songs like NYC, Move On Up and AHRIGF - to name but three. Indeed, the second part of that was nothing short of majestic and their take on ‘Crazy Love’, ‘Chain Reaction’ and ‘Casanova ‘ sheer genius. All done under the peerless musical direction of Colin Good.

Why oh why this live set has never been released on disc remains one of the mysteries of all things Ferry. It was without doubt a career high.

Of course, involving TBFO into the debate is not comparing apples with apples albeit as an Alto Sax player, W2 would definitely rank Ian Dixon up there with Jorja and Andy.

As to who Windswept would prefer to see as a single player ?

Mais oui, Jorja for all the reasons given by Oberon. She adds a frisson to the act, is the perfect Femme Fatale who’s siren sax julst lures you into the show. Poor Ian and Andy are just blown away.

Windswept is getting too excited about TRAH.

Salutations a tous (meme Le jardiniere).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:57 pm 

Excitement for TRAH is palpable and Windswept would like to thank the Ferry Gods and all those in the environs of Penshaw Monument - particularly Rendezvous’ mam for making this happen.

You are welcome W2. The set list is varied and voluptuous.

Now I'm just praying for a play-off victory.

Appreciate you and Bryan may be of the magpie persuasion.....but none of us are perfect and seeing 6 Wembley defeats I deserve a bit more Penshaw magic.

Lots of love to all.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:36 pm 

Forensic analysis of the Groningen set list reveals the following sources:

1982 Avalon x 6
1980 Flesh & Blood x 3
1994 Mamouna x 1
1974 Country Life x3
1985 Boys & Girls x3
1979 Manifesto x 1
2007 Dylanesque x 1
1977 In Your Mind x 1
1973 These Foolish Things x 1
1975 Sirens x2
1981 Jealous Guy.
1976 Let’s Stick Together x 1

Certainly some fresh ones in there, although BF's solo output is still rather neglected (i.e. two thirds of the set list is still from the Roxy back catalogue).

At the risk of winning the Queen's Award for Pedantry, I think there were only two Country Life songs, while The Bride Stripped Bare & For Your Pleasure were also represented (by Can't Let Go & Editions Of You respectively).

Looking forward to Amsterdam on Friday... :D

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
W2 thought the Stabbster would ride in hard in defence of his ‘Emperor’.Indeed, Windswept was wondering what was taking him so long ? Sheer disbelief, that's what!

As to who Windswept would prefer to see as a single player ?

Mais oui, Jorja for all the reasons given by Oberon. She adds a frisson to the act, is the perfect Femme Fatale who’s siren sax julst lures you into the show. Poor Ian and Andy are just blown away.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:03 am 

Just been watching the fabulous Dutch performance of Boys and Girls on Youtube. Such a long time since I've seen BF get lost in a performance like that. His Live Aid performance of the same track from back in the day is a fave of mine but this certainly gives it a good run for its money. He's still got it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next