VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 2019 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:23 am 

n addition to my previous contribution: by the way, the concert organizer does not care which songs Bryan presents, and whether these songs have been played up and down for three years will not interest him either. The main thing is that the concerts are close to sold out, so that the greatest possible profit comes at the end. And the shows in Germany are sold out.
That's just how business goes.

That was also my last contribution for today. Let's be happy that Bryan is even ready to perform concert performances as now and that he is not lazily lying around on the sofa.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:33 am 

On a positive note, the setlist is 'new' to audiences on this leg of the tour and, with that in mind, it's great to read some highly enthusiastic reviews.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:44 pm 

Uwe wrote:
Personally, I would prefer to finish the half-finished Roxy album and possibly combine it with a tour. Even if the album does not have the quality of earlier Roxy albums. I could live with it. A Roxy album is still better than none. Besides, I am very curious what they produced in the studio at the time. I would like to hear that.

To be honest: Manifesto, their 1979 Reunion album, has not reached the quality of previous albums (my personal opinion!). They have produced and released it to re-position themselves in the market and to put an exclamation mark again.

Why should it not be possible now?

-Talking `bout the possibility of this album, I vividly remember Brighton based fan Timon`s comment in Paul`s forum many years ago: "I`m sure it`s bloody marvellous".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:28 am 

@le freak:

There are various statements and evaluations about this misterious album. Even Manzo has commented differently. He says they produced 15 songs in the studio, some of them sound fantastic. Then he says that the songs are not good enough for a release, then he says that only the lyrics of Bryan were missing.
Incidentally, this is the only statement I know of Bryan on the development of that time:
"Olympia was actually planned as a new album by Roxy Music, but then I wanted to draw from a limitless palette and not limit myself to the different colors that different musicians can bring in. But I hope it will happen again someday It should be instrumental, with a focus not on the songs but on the sound That would be really interesting ".

If there's any album left in Roxy then it's going to be a soundtrack ( my opinion) .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 am 

I carried it before me for many years and never wanted to write it here. But there was something really mysterious about this Roxy album back then. Well, I want to do it.
Maybe in advance: I'm 51 years old, married, 2 children a house and a crisis-proof job. I'm fine and I'm anything but a busy guy. On the contrary, I tend to be smaller out of respect for others.
But what I have seen at a late hour on an evening in the late autumn of 2010, I will publish it now : I had clicked on the PC through the various pages to see if there is something new from Bryan or Roxy. How to do that. When I called up the homepage of Phil Manzanera the middle part of the page mentioned the Roxy Tour 2011 (For Your Pleasure) and under it stood a big header (either in red or yellow - I do not remember -) in any case immediately Stinging in the eye: New Roxy Album in Summer 2011. It was a header without any further text entry (link).
I jumped in the air, cheered with joy, as if an important goal would fall in football. After that, I woke up my wife, get up, get up, come on, I have to show you something important. She first thought our house would burn, but then followed me.
And as we are on the PC the entry with the new Roxy album disappeared. He was gone. This still concerns me after many years. I know from another BF Forum (bulletin - there is not the forum anymore) that at the same time somebody had also read this headline.
Maybe a VRM member has seen something like this, or is there a person in contact with PM, where there may be a posterior confirmation for this header?
I didn`t dream it.
Maybe John has an idea for that ?
Is it subsequently reconstructable?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:58 pm 

I`m surprised you came over such a plain statement. It looks it couldn`t have been there for a very long time. On the other hand, how "official" is a site like this? Anyway, it looks like this album was closer to release than it has appeared to be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 pm 

All forum topics lead to one of two things....the 'new' Roxy album or one more Roxy tour! Or so it seems anyway. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:59 pm 

All forum topics lead to one of two things....the 'new' Roxy album or one more Roxy tour! Or so it seems anyway.

And I seriously doubt that either will happen now! That's the main driver for my trip to NYC for the induction ceremony: possibly the last time Roxy will take to the stage together (if only for 2 or 3 songs maximum) and hopefully with Eddie Jobson joining them.

Just to steer us back towards the original topic, I'm sure BF said in an interview that there would be some different songs in the set list when the tour hits Europe. I'm certainly hoping so; as I get to a handful of shows during each tour, it would be nice to have a bit of variety in my musical diet. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:30 am 

Smudge wrote:

.....I’m sure BF said in an interview that there would be some different songs in the set list when the tour hits Europe. I'm certainly hoping so; as I get to a handful of shows during each tour, it would be nice to have a bit of variety in my musical diet. :)

Cher Smudge,

Where and when did he say this ?

W2 is much in need of motivational sustenance. “The Main Thing” is just playing on a loop right now.

Ironically, our hero’s last never ending tour , ‘Frantic’, had a markedly different set list at the end.

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:39 pm 

I wish I could recall with greater clarity, Windswept2!

I read so many online interviews and reviews (e.g. a Japanese friend posts daily on social media regarding BF & Roxy matters) that it's hard to pinpoint precisely the timing and content of each news item. My recollection is that it was after the South African dates were announced, but before the Australasian & Japanese ones were added, so there was a more significant gap in BF's schedule between South Africa & Europe.

As BF plays in the southern hemisphere infrequently, fans there wil probably accept and want a greatest hits package, whereas European diehards who see him almost annually hope for and expect some set list variations year on year. I'm sure BF is aware of this and I hope he'll dig out some different gems for us in 2019.

There's no burning reason why the setlist can't be refreshed more often; the band often rehearses songs which, for whatever reasons, seldom make the final set lists. On rare occasions some of us have, from outside the gig venues, heard songs played during afternoon soundchecks and been surprised when they didn't make the final cut for the same evenings' concerts.

Like you, I have good memories of the Frantic tour, the latter part of which saw BF revisit some smaller venues from earlier in his career. This may have been driven by economics, rather than nostalgia (e.g. there had been more empty seats than expected when he played at the Royal Albert Hall), but it was great to see him up close at Shepherds Bush Empire and Reading Hexagon.

If I can locate the interview to which I referred, I'll post a link here, but it would probably be best if we don't hold our breath! ;)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that BF will dust off some seldom played nuggets for us this year...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next