VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Tour Reviews
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:15 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
I am sorry I watched that Melbourne Airport clip

Indeed.

I doubt most of these individuals were "fans", more than likely eBay autograph sellers complete with B&W glossy photos ready to sign. The "selfies" and filming providing the provenance required to prove it a genuine BF autograph. I imagine most of us here would never dream ambushing Bryan is such a way. I'm sure he is quite happy not to be noticed when making his way through an airport going about his business.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm 

Agreed Roxy. It's downright rude but then there's not much mannered about today's 'me, me, me' selfie culture is there?
I'm sure Bryan would have been far more receptive and comfortable with a quiet, polite approach and maybe a request that someone else takes a photo - he's got a good reputation for giving people his time, but this is not how to go about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:39 pm 

DCJ wrote:
Airports are sites of social leveling, which is one reason why the well-to-do are so enamored of private jets.

A septuagenarian trundling along pushing a baggage cart... I'm a few years younger, but I see in this video what millennials likely see when I amble down the street to get my coffee and a printed copy of the NYTimes in the morning. A print version of the NYT??? Who is this dinosaur??? The barista at the coffee shop doesn't seem to notice my cool BF T-shirt from the Mamouna tour. I'm just some grey-haired relic who still likes to pay with cash instead of a smart phone.

Yes, the veiled prophet's withered gaze may reflect the "nouvelle vague," but what if it all passes unnoticed...

DCJ - stay calm W2 bets you look very nice in your T shirt and rest assured millennials or these snow flake jobbies won’t notice a thing. They’ll all be looking at their phones !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm 

Uwe wrote:
Again for clarification: this is not an As Time Goes By Tour or An Evening With Bryan Ferry Tour where BF is allowed to select the musicians as well as the songs. It's a Best Of Tour with hits from Bryan and Roxy, that's what the contractual arrangements say. That's how the tour is promoted. Unlike in North America (Avalon Tour). The program will differ in Europe only in nuances from the current set list. Everything else would be a breach of contract.
And who believes that it will be different then will realize that his wishes burst like bubbles in the air.
There will be no Colin Good or Enrico Tomaso on this tour.
Spedding and Chalmers are the mainstays of this tour.

Cher Uwe,
I don’t believe for one minute that our hero’s management would have signed a contract that allowed the promoter to dictate the set list !
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:20 pm 

Quote:
It's a Best Of Tour....that's what the contractual obligations say

That's an interesting insight but not one that resonates with anything I've read. The usual blurb is he'll be drawing on his extensive RM and solo back catalogue. To me that's a long way from a 'Best Of' outing, but then I haven't read the contract!
Quote:
I don't believe for one minute...a contract...allowed the promoter to dictate the setlist.

Me neither. We all know how much control BF retains and it's unimaginable he'd relinquish ownership of something so fundamental. In any event, were the claim true and the European content was to differ in "nuances" only from the current setlist, it would be about as far removed from a hits-laden Best Of than you could get!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:04 pm 

@ Windswept2 and UKRichard:
Presenting the influence of the concert promoter on the program is very difficult because it is very extensive. I've spent a lot of time studying this topic in recent years.
Summarized the following statements:
If the artist does not come to the market with a new album at the time of the tour, his influence on the program will be reduced. The organizer is interested in the largest possible number of visitors to the events. Around 40 percent of the concert performances are shared by artists and organizers. Without organizer there is no tour. It is sometimes a 60- to 80-page set of rules.
It regulates many details ...

North America includes an Avalon Tour. He also has to stick to it.

If he presents a completely different set list in Europe, then I'm happy for you. Really !!! I personally believe that only a few songs are exchanged, a maximum of two to three.

If it should be different I owe you a drink. We will clarify that later.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 pm 

Uwe wrote:
@ Windswept2 and UKRichard:
Presenting the influence of the concert promoter on the program is very difficult because it is very extensive. I've spent a lot of time studying this topic in recent years.
Summarized the following statements:
If the artist does not come to the market with a new album at the time of the tour, his influence on the program will be reduced. The organizer is interested in the largest possible number of visitors to the events. Around 40 percent of the concert performances are shared by artists and organizers. Without organizer there is no tour. It is sometimes a 60- to 80-page set of rules.
It regulates many details ...

North America includes an Avalon Tour. He also has to stick to it.

If he presents a completely different set list in Europe, then I'm happy for you. Really !!! I personally believe that only a few songs are exchanged, a maximum of two to three.

If it should be different I owe you a drink. We will clarify that later.

Cher Uwe,
There is only one man who decides the set list and his name is Bryan Ferry. If it changes for Europe it will because he decides it.
You only have to look at the evolution of ‘The Frantic’ set list to see the folly of implying that the promoter has any say in whatsoever.
Ditto with ‘Avonmore’ that actually included few songs from the aforementioned album.
Bryan Ferry decides - it’s that simple - hopefully he will decide on a new set list for Europe otherwise, it will be third year running for this one. That said it will be totally his choice.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 pm 

Dear Uwe -
I don't doubt the extent to which you've studied this but from what you say it appears the research is generic, ie not BF specific and certainly without recourse to the contracts you allude to. Accordingly, and in keeping with so much online content, it's rather inconclusive and somewhat misleading.
Despite a decline in record sales (like most of his contemporaries - and not entirely unexpected), BF remains a commanding and respected figure in music and is far from the puppet that lesser figures have become. Maybe they would better fit the model you describe?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 am 

Bryan has with the Jazz Abum (a reproduction of well-known songs) with moderate sales success content not to make a tour claims. But now he would like to perform again in North America. So his management contacts one or more organizers. Concert agencies are for-profit business enterprises. They check in advance how the tour can best be marketed (ticket sales), so that at the end both for the artist and organizer the maximum profit jumps out.
Hey, we have an idea: we turn it into an Avalon Tour. The album was successful at the time, it is still known. Play 5 to 6 songs from the album. We take care of the marketing. This generates the greatest possible success for all of us. In the end, Bryan will have to go this way, or there will be no tour.
Bryan is not Robbie Williams. He does not fill the Wembley Stadium on two consecutive days. He does not move in the same comfort zone. For him, the organizers have not been rolling out the red carpet for a long time.

The situation is similar with his 5 concert appearances in Germany. He has nothing new and successful in his luggage. So it will be marketed again as Best of Tour. Has worked well in recent years, will probably work again now profitable. Incidentally, the concerts are sold out. In addition to logistics, accommodation, food, medical care show duration, a song selection is also made and set out in the contract. Bryan is not on stage and presents songs that have not been voted on before. He will beware. The song selection for a 90 minute show takes place beforehand. We take the song, it flies out, we take it, it flies out again etc ... The individual creative space made available to him is much smaller than one thinks.

Therefore my expectation is very low, that it will come to bigger surprises in Germany. It may of course be that in other countries, the tour is marketed under a different slogan (but I do not believe) and thus actually different in content.

Bryan can be happy that his tours are still being marketed to this extent. One day the time will come when he will get the following answer: it's not worth it.

Then the following is always announced: the artist says goodbye to the show stage and thanks for the years of loyalty to his fans. So you can formulate it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:05 am 

UKRichard wrote:
“.....Despite a decline in record sales (like most of his contemporaries - and not entirely unexpected), BF remains a commanding and respected figure in music and is far from the puppet that lesser figures have become. Maybe they would better fit the model you describe?

Hipsters,
Mais oui , yet again UKRichard talks sense.
Ironically, when you look at the touring rosters, they are jammed with mature acts : Knopfler, Clapton, Plant et all..
Of course, this has something to do with ticket prices and the silver dollar but it also has something to do with their capacity to fill venues. Promoters will be desperate for them and certainly won’t be trying to dictate content.
With regards to the perennial set list, W2 thinks we are stuck on ‘Groundhog’ for two reasons :
1) Rehearsal time and effort - there can be no doubting the effort required to nail a twenty plus song show to this level of perfection and the attendant strain that multiple repetitions would put on our hero’s voice.
2) The line up does pose some restrictions. Brilliant as friend Spedding is, ‘All Along The Watchtower ‘ is not going to be the same with one guitar.
Anyway, despite the aforementioned, W2 is still hoping for a new show for Europe. The same set three years running will leave a sour taste for a lot of folk.
Salutations,
W2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next