VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2011 Tour
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:20 pm 

I can't believe Bryan's not touring to promote Olympia. The last time he released an album with no hit singles and no tour (The Bride Stripped Bare ) it nosedived out of the charts ! Do you think we may get a few Olympia songs on the Roxy 2011 tour. After all, Manzanera and Mackay are playing on it and we've all been crying out for a few set changes. And, over the years, we have had Bryan's songs on Roxy tours so it may happen again. Good or bad ?

Post subject: Re: 2011 Tour
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 pm 

Bryan didn't want a new Roxy album. I think he must be logical with himself : this is not a Roxy album, so he will be touring with his own band.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 pm 

None of it makes sense . By the time the Roxy tour is over, the release of Olympia will be stale and a tour in 6 months time will be almost pointless. In addition, why did we get The In Crowd and Hard Rain on the Siren Tour Can't Let Go on the Avalon tour and Let's Stick Together on the most recent Roxy Tour.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:18 pm 

Yes its all a bit odd for the following reasons

1. Roxy have no album but are touring just two months after a Ferry solo album is released

2. Ferry has a new and heavily promoted solo album out and is not touring

Very bad planning IMHO

As for the 2011 tour - I sincerely hope PM, AM and TGPT resist any BF moves to include solo material.

The tour should be a celebration of Roxy Music the band and not ANY solo stuff.

Their back catalogue is large enough for them to put together a great set of shows without dipping into any solo stuff.

I really hope they put some effort into the tour in terms of songs to be played and the presentation and don't just retread the past festival sets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:57 pm 

I wonder if this oddity is a result of some negotiation between Bryan and the boys. Maybe Bryan has to "pay" for his going away making a solo album, instead of finishing the Roxy project. This "payment" would be a promise to take the boys on tour instead of touring his new album.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm 

The tour should be a celebration of Roxy Music the band and not ANY solo stuff.

Amen to that!

Let's Stick Together and Can't Let Go are great songs but should not, IMHO, have been featured at Roxy gigs. Likewise the group's songs should never have crept in to BF solo sets (even though Avalon and Jealous Guy arguably sound more like solo, rather than group, efforts...).

Hopefully the FYP tour will offer a bit more grit!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 pm 

Trying to make economic sense of "Olympia" and all the money that went into the production of both the album cover (check out the youtube video documenting the elaborate photo-shoot) and the video promoting You Can Dance (with a couple dozen high-end model/dancers) is not an easy task. It is difficult for me to see how album/download sales of Olympia are going to come close to getting the project out of the red and into the black.

Artists today make money by touring, not by selling records. This is the reality of life in the post-CD era. The other reality is that BF solo concerts draw a significantly smaller audience than Roxy concerts. So I understand why BF wants to tour under the Roxy banner, even though it means that the proceeds have to be split rather generously with PM and AM and TGPT. What doesn't make sense is why BF is so resistant to releasing a new Roxy album so that the band has something new to tour behind and keep the excitement going (already loyal Roxy fans on this forum are expressing reluctance to shell out big money to pay for the same basis concert they saw in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006 or 2010).

IMHO Olympia is going to fade pretty quickly in the mind of the general public (in a manner akin to Mamouna) and that by the time the January 2011 Roxy tour rolls around it will be, if not forgotten, at least not holding a very high profile in the mind of the average Roxy fan. What that means of terms of BF committing to a new Roxy Album only he can answer...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm 

Bryan Ferry will NEVER sell the same as Roxy. We all know that, except...Bryan himself !
If he understood that, Roxy Music would have a new album since months.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:49 pm 

Could the delay/no release of the "new" Roxy album have had an effect on the performance of olympia (from his usual fanbase) also considering the failure of the Ferry compilation last year?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 am 

If I was Bryan, I would have done the short Roxy tour in 2011 and then released Olympia around July next year and done the promotional stuff then. Unless he's hoping that the neutrals will mistake Olympia for a Roxy album. All the greatest hits packages are coming out as Bryan Ferry/Roxy amalgamations. So eventually a lot of neutrals who would only buy the greatest hits stuff would end up thinking that Dance Away, Avalon, Love is the drug were part of Bryan's solo work and Roxy woul be forgotten about forever !