VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: BF in Medimex di Foggia
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Hipsters,
Windswept thinks Le jardinier should continue in French. He or she is actually more polite in the language of love.
That withstanding, this ‘voice’ debate is just boring and sniping about it is disingenuous.
Of course our hero’s voice is not as it once was. Neither is Dylan’s or indeed was Cohen’s or even Sinatra’s.
The ageing process takes its toll particularly for those that have had a long relationship with Virginia’s favourite crop.
Does that mean that they can no longer make great music - absolutely not. In fact many think Cohen’s last two albums amongst his best and certainly Dylan’s ‘Modern Times’ is as good as anything he did early in his career and for W2, ‘Bitter-Sweet’ is something of a masterpiece.
At the end of the day, these guys were never Opera singers, they are jazz and blues men and the changing of the timber of their voices simply adds a different frisson.
Thank God we still have BF and that he is still performing and Windswept looks forward to seeing him at TRAH with his new set list.
Salutations,
W2

Mr windypops

Stop with this 'I'm classier than you' response to my posts - it makes you sound like Hyacinth Bucket (bouquet).. Not a good look ..

I speak da truth in regards to the singing .. its terribly sad and I feel your pain but you really shouldn't take its all so personally and be so insulting - I'm quite intelligent really - not the ruffian on the stairs you paint me as ... My knowledge of Pop art, post modernism, modernism, Weimar.. the avant garde is second to none ...Loving Roxy Music isn't only about what you demand it should be - its more than leopard skin and feather boas.... there is still much to admire..
( French) Onion layers of meaning to peel away ... Unfortunately Bry can't sing any more ... its an unavoidable truth - I'd be happy for him to do techno, kreutrock or play the mouth organ ... but for gawd's sake he needs to stop charging people to hear that croaky voice ....

ps .. Despite it's initial charms, Bitter Sweet gets really boring really quickly - it's almost as if we've heard it all before...........

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:35 pm 

Oh Gardner,
I so admire your strength and verbal acrobatics with the only member of this forum who has a genuine knowledge and opinion of all things Roxy/Ferry. As far as I know, I'm just an aging urchin who depends on the big fella to share his wisdom!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:32 am 

[quote="Hard Rain"]
“ the only member of this forum who has a genuine knowledge and opinion of all things Roxy/Ferry.”

Cher Hard Rain,
Thanks for this but happily there are thousands of Ferry fans out there that share Windswept’s view and the fact that our hero sells out everywhere is perhaps the biggest testimony to his enduring popularity and skill as a musician.
There will always be those that use the internet to express themselves in a disingenuous way. They spare no thought for how hurtful it would be if Bryan or one of his team were to read their poisonous ramblings. Ironically, they are the type of folk that proclaim themselves to be his biggest fans and whom would fawn all over him were he to be unlucky enough to meet them.
Windswept lui-meme will just continue to adore and cherish his music
content in the knowledge that it has been and remains an absolute pleasure to share this planet with one of our most innovative and talented modern musicians.
Ferry on - W2 just can’t stop playing Bitter-Sweet.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:53 am 

I’m with Windswept on this, as much as I acknowledge that Ferry’s voice (live) is not what it once was.
Like Windswept, I enjoyed the 2013 Royal Albert Hall show, I love Bitter Sweet, and whilst I enjoyed last years Palladium show, I wasn’t as excited about it as previous outings and I’m skipping this June’s Albert Hall event, as like Windswept, I fear a retread of the set,
I hugely enjoy Windswept posts in this forum , and whilst he and Gardiner have locked horns, I hope it remains amicable . We all have a shared passion for 5 decades of this music. Let’s continue to enjoy as we do.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:16 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
I’m with Windswept on this, as much as I acknowledge that Ferry’s voice (live) is not what it once was.
Like Windswept, I enjoyed the 2013 Royal Albert Hall show, I love Bitter Sweet, and whilst I enjoyed last years Palladium show, I wasn’t as excited about it as previous outings and I’m skipping this June’s Albert Hall event, as like Windswept, I fear a retread of the set,
I hugely enjoy Windswept posts in this forum , and whilst he and Gardiner have locked horns, I hope it remains amicable . We all have a shared passion for 5 decades of this music. Let’s continue to enjoy as we do.

Well said. There should be room for all points of view here. I have played Bitter Sweet more than any Ferry album in quite some time. For me it is a constant treat. I would prefer to see him playing these arrangements of the material live these days because they're better suited to his ageing voice than attempting to belt out the hits as though it was 1973 again. McCartney is trying to do that as well and it's not pretty. I think there have been some poor choices recently (last year's Last Night of the Proms shows for starters) which do his vocal efforts no favours. I fear that supporting Streisand at Hyde Park may prove to be another one, albeit no doubt financially lucrative.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:15 pm 

:lol: :shock: :roll: Pah pah PAH

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:30 am 

True2Life wrote:
avalon_eyes wrote:

Well said. There should be room for all points of view here. I have played Bitter Sweet more than any Ferry album in quite some time. For me it is a constant treat. I would prefer to see him playing these arrangements of the material live these days because they're better suited to his ageing voice than attempting to belt out the hits as though it was 1973 again. McCartney is trying to do that as well and it's not pretty. I think there have been some poor choices recently (last year's Last Night of the Proms shows for starters) which do his vocal efforts no favours. I fear that supporting Streisand at Hyde Park may prove to be another one, albeit no doubt financially lucrative.

Mes Amis,
As always, the voice of discerning Ferryistas prevail in this most hollowed of cyber halls.
W2 agrees completely with avalon_eyes regarding the AEWBF tour. In many regards, it was the perfect showcase.
Of course, that line-up never made it Stateside which was probably the limit of the exercise.
That said, Windswept sees no reason - Ferry willing - why TBFO shouldn’t strike again in the U.K. After all, most - if not all - of the musicians reside in England and a ‘Bitter-Sweet’ fandango would surely be on any thinking Roxologist’s dream list ?
W2 will continue his prayers - a rendition of the ‘Bitter -Sweet ‘ version of ‘Boys & Girls’ would, on its own, be worth the ticket price.
“A wailing saxophone , You know it’s all in my song”. Nirvana!
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm 

Gardner wrote:
:lol: :shock: :roll: Pah pah PAH

Gardner, surely that should be “Pouah Pouah POUAH”.

Apparently it is only acceptable to insult fellow forum members if one employs a smattering of faux French.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:56 am 

At the end of the day I love Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry - They have been big influencers to my tastes in all areas of my life - While me and Windswept do have our spats - I know from his posts there is also lots of common ground - I think the reason I take umbrage every now and then is that he responds to my 'Voice' posts with this idea that I'm too common or beneath his tastes to be allowed to post my opinion on here - this sophisticated club ... I know this to be so far from the truth that it amuses me and I like to do a wind up response. G

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 pm 

[quote =“Gardner”] I can’t even watch 3mins of stuff like this - it’s a nightmare … the thought of him thinking he can support Barbara Streisand is cringetastic … unless she’s lost her voice as well…[/quote]

Gardner wrote:
At the end of the day I love Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry ......

Mes Amis,
Windswept is sure Bryan feel le jardiniere’s love !
Happily many of us are delighted that he will be appearing with Ms.Steisand and wish him every success with his performance.
Salutations,
W2