VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Death of Me/ Blinded by The Life I`m Living
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:23 am 

What a rare gem! Apparently a still not released song from the Horoscope sessions. I`m not sure which one of the titles above is the song`s proper name. A rare song structure, consisting of a verse and a chorus that divides the song in two, but more coherent, than say Mother of Pearl. It`s just like the song struggles to come into life before the second half, but in a good way. The instrumental arrangement contributes to create the right mood. He couldn`t do without it. Way better than, say Gemini Moon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWcYiuFCyI

Post subject: Re: The Death of Me/ Blinded by The Life I`m Living
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:46 am 

le freak wrote:
What a rare gem! Apparently a still not released song from the Horoscope sessions. I`m not sure which one of the titles above is the song`s proper name. A rare song structure, consisting of a verse and a chorus that divides the song in two, but more coherent, than say Mother of Pearl. It`s just like the song struggles to come into life before the second half, but in a good way. The instrumental arrangement contributes to create the right mood. He couldn`t do without it. Way better than, say Gemini Moon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWcYiuFCyI

Thanks, le freak. I know that track in a slightly different version as "Blinded By The Life". Somewhere in between minor and major chords. It's a pity that it hasn't found its way from Horoscope (Sessions) to Mamouna.

The same as Love War from Alphaville (Sessions) - although he used parts of it on Frantic.

That's what I've always said: I'd prefer an outtake (double?) album to his annual tours. There must be such songs from TBSB, ATGB and Dylanesque. Didn't Phil talk about some outtakes from the Avalon Sessions these days?

Maybe John knows if there is any outtake project in the pipeline 8-) .

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:19 am 

pianoman wrote:
[That's what I've always said: I'd prefer an outtake (double?) album to his annual tours. There must be such songs from TBSB, ATGB and Dylanesque. Didn't Phil talk about some outtakes from the Avalon Sessions these days?

Maybe John knows if there is any outtake project in the pipeline 8-) .

Lost was an Avalon outtake which finally came out more than 30 years after being started. I can't see Ferry releasing an outtake project as such because with him if something is unfinished there's always the likelihood that he may return it to and work on it again at some point. And he likes his touring because it's more lucrative these days than releasing records.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:57 am 

Monsieur Le Freak,

Thanks for posting this. It has a real Jazz sensibility to it - obvious best listened to in an opium den !

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:37 pm 

I always liked this track and if the intro was beefed up with the full Roxy treatment I’m sure it would lift the track to another level. Is it being stored for the final Roxy release? Also this little gem is worth a listen ....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZQYA70Hdg
This is an interesting excerpt from Avalon era, you can identify a good number of tracks , including LOST.
It would be good for an official release with notes on the other stuff not included from this period. A reissue of the 21st anniv multi channel Avalon too?
Enjoy the shows this summer , still haven’t bought the Bitter Sweet thingy but I am wavering as I guess as any Ferry is better than no Ferry . I am so thrilled that I came across this great artist as a lad thanks for giving me so much ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:57 pm 

Ah, yes, I`ve listened through that one. It`s very demo like, very early, just like some aural diary where only the author sees it`s potential. There are some strange numbers at the end called unreleased tracks that`s not very similar to the Avalon album. They sound like a raw demo for a very generic 1980s kind of song consisting of guitar and synth.

Avalon must be said to be a stroke of luck that shows the band at it`s very best. The leftovers aren`t that great. Always Unknowing? -A true leftover, IMO. -And Lost too. -Pieces from the cutting room floor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:10 pm 

The Pale Moon wrote:
Also this little gem is worth a listen ....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZQYA70Hdg

Thank you, The Pale Moon, I didn't know that before. It is a musical monument that shows how Ferry worked (or still works).

I regret that the uptempo tunes (Movie, Move Me & Unreleased Track) didn't make it to the Avalon album or have never been revitalized on any other Ferry album. They have good melodies and remind me a bit of songs like Trash (#1).

These are probably the outtakes from Avalon Phil mentioned in a recent interview.

In an interview with Bryan (from 2010) I have read these days he told the newspaper that they were still working on Roxy 9 at that time and put the blame on Eno that there hadn't been any results so far ...

What do the other VRM members think about the unreleased tracks on The Avalon Tapes?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 pm 

It may just be me but "Unreleased Track" kind of sounds like "Lorilei", particularly after the 14 minute mark and when there are "instrumental breaks" in general, for want of a better phrasing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:44 pm 

I've always felt that Blinded By the Life I'm Living was the one Horoscope track best left on the cutting room floor. I do like some of the stuff from the Avalon demo's, however. Unreleased track 3 is one that I keep returning to, it has that wonderful Ferry mood and atmosphere about it and is fabulous in its incomplete state so just imagine what it might have sounded like had he finished it. Also love the primitive version of Is Your Love Strong Enough on these demos, which was called Circles at that stage. There's a Flesh and Blood demo tape as well that has one or two good unreleased tracks on it.