VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The days of Bryan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pm 

Now are the days of Bryan, as they were last year, and the year before that... However, very little happens at this site when his concerts are running smoothly. Ooh, there are so much to discuss, Theresa would have said. Then there is Roxyferry, who for a period produced very long and personal posts. She didn`t get much response, but got the explanation that people here are so introverted.

Bryan is overworked, oh yes, he sure is. He sure is presently running his career due to very wise recommendations businesswise, and healthwise. "Not too much of everything, -not too little". However, this gives all the fans in front of the PCs very little to discuss at the same time as BF himself probably doesn`t feel entirely free to play whatever he would like.

Oh, you can`t play rare tracks, many performers would say. Gems for the diehards would leave the main part of the public miserable. I once said that BF is "special music". Those words probably have some other meaning than the corresponding Norwegian "spesiell musikk". His music demands more of the listenser, as BF from early on has been a fan of jazz musican Charlie Parker. He insists on being difficult, at least his best work does, not covers like One Way Love.

Does he really have so many "hits"? Is he a typical "hits" musician? Once David Bowie was confronted with the word in an interview in lack of a better word, he giggled. Celine Dion, and most certainly Elton John has "hits" as a large part of his repertoire. BF hasn`t so many, but has to play the few he has to death, every second evening, as his audience probably is the same people that would go to a Elton John concert.

Post subject: Re: The days of Bryan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:07 pm 
Site Owner

For a song to be classed as a hit it has to be top in the UK top 40. Bryan solo or with Roxy has 31 top 40 hits and covered on his albums many other songs that were hits for someone else. I admire that he doesn't just do hits all the way through every show.

I was talking about music today with someone at work and he is a fan of Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart & Bruce Springsteen and says he hates it when they play 'the new stuff' as ' the old stuff is the best. I reminded him that every old well known classic hit was once a new song too.

I am glad Mr Ferry doesn't just do hit singles all night.

J.O'B

Post subject: Re: The days of Bryan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:41 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:

.......I am glad Mr Ferry doesn't just do hit singles all night.

J.O'B

Cher J.O'B,

True albeit the current offering is sadly far from a masterclass.

W2