VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Royal Albert Hall CD review Pitchfork
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:34 am 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/br ... hall-1974/

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Royal Albert Hall CD
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:58 pm 

More reviews.......

https://thebluemoment.com/2020/02/08/br ... Oek6isX98s

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... aTbHXMTGjE

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/time ... dAo6GTi8sU

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:31 pm 

Question:

Was Phil at that time such a slide guitar wonder? Or did Chris do some overdubs for this album???

Nevertheless, a phenomenal record. Outstanding performances by TGPT and John Porter. Wow... And, yes, Bryan. What a performer he was... And what a fantastic, flexible voice he had... So powerfull… Those were the days.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:00 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:
Question:

Was Phil at that time such a slide guitar wonder? Or did Chris do some overdubs for this album???

Nevertheless, a phenomenal record. Outstanding performances by TGPT and John Porter. Wow... And, yes, Bryan. What a performer he was... And what a fantastic, flexible voice he had... So powerfull… Those were the days.

John Porter on slide I believe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:02 pm 

Gary wrote:
Sentimental Fool wrote:
Question:

If that's true, who the hell is playing that killer bass in SFTD and ATAP?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:
Gary wrote:
Sentimental Fool wrote:
Question:

If that's true, who the hell is playing that killer bass in SFTD and ATAP?

John Wetton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:12 pm 

Band credits......

Image84818723_484795175472627_8012590287614377984_n (2) by Colette Robertson, on Flickr

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:41 pm 

It's a mini masterpiece! :D

As a teenager I had very few LPs, so These Foolish Things is probably the closest I came to wearing a bit of vinyl out. Hard Rain and the title track were always personal favourites, but nothing beats this live version of Sympathy For The Devil; TGPT and Wetton sound bloody marvellous!

I'd love to think that the positive critical reception already afforded to this album might make it the start of a BF archive series, much like the one undertaken by Neil Young; we'll see, I guess...

It has been a good week for TFT memories... One song was selected as a single release in France alone, with the result that secondhand copies in very good or better condition are both hard to find and expensive, but eBay finally came up trumps at a bearable price a few days ago: :D

Attachments:
BF.jpg
BF.jpg [ 111.74 KiB | Viewed 17368 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:57 pm 

The Albert Hall record is very good. Ferry’s vocals are outstanding , the band excellent , the track listing is superb. Of course , I’d be in awe.
Like Windswept and many others on this forum, These Foolish Things was a staple on my turntable in the mid 70’s , and now again, after all this time, these songs come back to me sounding better than ever.
Yes, it’s a nostalgia trip , but crikey , it’s long overdue. Ferry was just 29 when he took this gig on, and with 6 records released in a little over 2 years , he’s grabbed his audience by the lapels and shown them what made him , who he is and where he was heading. Impressive.
Even now.
On the downside, there are no photos from the gig in the standard vinyl edition. And no I am not buying the deluxe one.
I wish I’d been there , as Windswept was.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 pm 

On the downside, there are no photos from the gig in the standard vinyl edition.

Indeed; considering the higher price of the LP, you wonder whether it couldn't have included a 12" booklet with the photos from the CD issue.

Curiously, one of those photos is of an Island Records tape reel box which lists the 14 RAH tracks in the correct order; was it once slated for LP release back in the day and then withdrawn from some reason?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next