VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Royal Albert Hall CD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:03 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
The Albert Hall record is very good. Ferry’s vocals are outstanding , the band excellent , the track listing is superb. Of course , I’d be in awe.
Like Windswept and many others on this forum, These Foolish Things was a staple on my turntable in the mid 70’s , and now again, after all this time, these songs come back to me sounding better than ever.
Yes, it’s a nostalgia trip , but crikey , it’s long overdue. Ferry was just 29 when he took this gig on, and with 6 records released in a little over 2 years , he’s grabbed his audience by the lapels and shown them what made him , who he is and where he was heading. Impressive.
Even now.
On the downside, there are no photos from the gig in the standard vinyl edition. And no I am not buying the deluxe one.
I wish I’d been there , as Windswept was.

Hipsters,
Not surprisingly W2 shares Avalon_eyes’ enthusiasm.
For those who attended the show, it is a massive nostalgia trip that brings back a whole wave of emotions but it takes more than nostalgia to make a good album. If ‘live’ renditions are to mean anything they have to bring something extra to the table and this one does.
It has tremendous energy and great versions. In W2’s not so humble opinion, SFTD is much better live. Porter’s guitar gives it real guts. The eclectic set list was so brave. Our hero’s voice is at its peak and the whole thing sounds as fresh today as it did back then.
W2 bought the CD and thought the packaging and liner notes were good although uncharacteristically, the author doesn’t seem to be credited. Simon Puxley is mentioned at the end but surely that’s for ‘A Really Good Time’ sign off ?
All said, words will never describe the cultural significance of this show. The ten years : ‘65 to ‘75 constituted an epoc of enormous creativity in every aspect of the arts and in so many ways, this show was such a game changer.
Fabulous stuff and a great addition to the canon.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm 

A mini masterpiece indeed Smudge!

This new/old release is a gem for those of us who were not lucky enough to attend any of those shows. Bryan, the band & orchestra are on top form. It is wonderful to have live material from this period which is not a fuzzy old bootleg and the team at Studio One have done a great job....to my ears anyway. Paul's drumming is quite superb in the mix. Worth the price for A Really Good Time and Sympathy for the Devil alone.

Quote:
W2 bought the CD and thought the packaging and liner notes were good although uncharacteristically, the author doesn’t seem to be credited. Simon Puxley is mentioned at the end but surely that’s for ‘A Really Good Time’ sign off ?

It looks like those liner notes are replicated from the original opening notes in the 1974 Tour Booklet W2. which can be veiwed here:- :)

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_5.php

Repeated listening will continue for some time in this household!

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 am 

Glorious. Have been enjoying this throughout the weekend. For a 45-year old recording the sound quality is extremely good - Ferry's vocals on These Foolish Things are crystal clear.

The final three tracks are as fine a sequence on a Ferry release as I can remember in recent times. For those like WS2 who were lucky enough to be there it must bring back many great memories.

And I am reminded just how much I love A Really Good Time. Is it too late to start lobbying for its inclusion on this year's setlists?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 am 

Glorious, fully agree.

Does anyone perhaps know why ARGT as the only Roxy track was included in the set?
Did Bryan just need a change of pace?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 am 
Site Owner

I woiuld imagine that he wanted to keep the show as 'solo' as possible as the Roxy tracks had their own platform for being played live.

A Really Good Time however is the one Roxy track that you can see that lends itself to having an orchestra as Roxy used 'tapes' when they performed it live in 1974/5

Regards
J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:50 pm 

Currently doing well in the UK midweek charts! :)

"Bryan Ferry could net his first Top 10 album in 13 years with Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1974 at Number 7"

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/a ... rt-update/

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:02 am 

This is such a brilliant album - to Ferry's early output what Viva was to Roxy's and I don't think you can say fairer than that. The band is great and the voice is bordering on the audacious - not a belted out, fluffed note to be heard. This will be in my CD player for a very long time.

Bravo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:08 am 

"Bryan Ferry could net his first Top 10 album in 13 years with Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1974 at Number 7"

Oh, I hope so. This is so deserving of exposure and success.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:11 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
This is such a brilliant album - to Ferry's early output what Viva was to Roxy's and I don't think you can say fairer than that.....

Bravo.

Hipsters,
What a fabulous analogy from the ever tasteful "UKRichard"
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:53 pm 

I think it's excellent :D One of the reasons why it's so good is that most of the people involved had been gigging together and recording together pretty regularly over a short period of time. It's the same with most new bands. Unfortunately I couldn't get to the gig at Birmingham Odeon, but friends who did go said it was really good.

More of the same please BF - what about the Siren tour?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next