VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:33 pm 

@pianoman

Bryan's concerts, especially in Germany, will be marketed in the media in such a way that he will play his best of hits. Ticket sales have been going very well so far. If he really should leave out Slave to Love, Jealous, Don`t stop the dance at his open airs shows, he shouldn’t be surprised if there are negative reactions from the audience. It would be very daring of him if it should happen that way. But there are also contractual regulations, so he will certainly be forced to change the program again for his shows in Germany.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:35 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Roger wrote:
quote="VivaRoxyMusic.com"]
Roger wrote:
Over 50% of the set consists of Roxy songs............

All written by Ferry except one Ferry/Mackay, what is wrong with a guy performing the songs he wrote when the band he recorded them with are no longer together?

Roxymphony is a much applauded venture and quite rightly so but no one seems to critisise Phil & Andy for doing Roxy songs in their solo/collaborative live shows, even some that they have no writing credit on

We have been asking on this forum for a change in set and we got that big style and that is what I am focussing on.

J.O'B.

Fair points John. I think the number of Roxy songs has been as high as 80% of the set on some occasions. For me most of the Roxy songs done by BF fall a bit short. The other point is that either from BF or Roxy some new material is badly needed.

Roger,
Nobody has produced the body of work that Ferry has.
Over the last twenty years alone we have had six entirely new albums and three live sets - we’ve had new material agogo !
Which artist (living or dead) can match this at any age - let alone between the age of 54 and 74 ?
What’s more, I’m sure I’m not alone in finding this artificial segmentation between Roxy and Ferry completely bizarre.
They are all his songs. He can do with them as he pleases and I’m delighted he does.
Bring on TRAH and this amazing set .
Salutations,
Windswept.[/quote]

Hi Windswept,

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree about the Roxy/Ferry thing. My take is that Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry solo are two different things - they just happen to have the same singer and writer, although BF has done many covers. OK going back to the 70s the division wasn't quite as wide, with Roxy members other than Andy and Eno playing on BF's solo albums and playing with him live, but things are a lot different now.

IMHO Roxy have performed BF songs like The In Crowd to a high standard, but the reverse doesn't work for me. As a guitar player I appreciate what a unique player Phil Manzanera is and songs that were originally played with him don't sound the same without him. Not even Chris Spedding can do justice to Phil's playing (he can to just about everybody else - listen to his track Guitar Jamboree).

As regards recorded output in the UK I don't think anyone can match that of the mighty Bill Nelson, although he doesn't tour now.

Roger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:06 am 

Roger wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
Roger wrote:

J.O'B.

Fair points John. I think the number of Roxy songs has been as high as 80% of the set on some occasions. For me most of the Roxy songs done by BF fall a bit short. The other point is that either from BF or Roxy some new material is badly needed.

Roger,
Nobody has produced the body of work that Ferry has.
Over the last twenty years alone we have had six entirely new albums and three live sets - we’ve had new material agogo !
Which artist (living or dead) can match this at any age - let alone between the age of 54 and 74 ?
What’s more, I’m sure I’m not alone in finding this artificial segmentation between Roxy and Ferry completely bizarre.
They are all his songs. He can do with them as he pleases and I’m delighted he does.
Bring on TRAH and this amazing set .
Salutations,
Windswept.

Hi Windswept,

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree about the Roxy/Ferry thing. My take is that Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry solo are two different things - they just happen to have the same singer and writer, although BF has done many covers. OK going back to the 70s the division wasn't quite as wide, with Roxy members other than Andy and Eno playing on BF's solo albums and playing with him live, but things are a lot different now.

IMHO Roxy have performed BF songs like The In Crowd to a high standard, but the reverse doesn't work for me. As a guitar player I appreciate what a unique player Phil Manzanera is and songs that were originally played with him don't sound the same without him. Not even Chris Spedding can do justice to Phil's playing (he can to just about everybody else - listen to his track Guitar Jamboree).

As regards recorded output in the UK I don't think anyone can match that of the mighty Bill Nelson, although he doesn't tour now.

Roger
[/quote]

Cher Roger,
Forgive me, but I find your assertion that Roxy/Ferry are two different things that just happen to have the same singer and songwriter riotously funny !
And with regards to the mighty Bill Nelson, perhaps I should have said ‘major artist’.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 am 

Hipsters,
Bad news I’m afraid.
‘Slave To Love’ has made an unwelcome return and ‘Sign Of The Times’ has been retired.
Sadly it also looks like the only link with the phenomenal ‘74 live album, ‘I Love How You Love Me’,has exited stage left.
W2 is appealing directly to our hero to reverse these decisions for TRAH as it appears that his prayers to the ‘Penshaw Gods’ have been ignored.
Despite these changes, W2 remains excited, and eagerly awaits the delivery of his bespoke ‘Hazmat’ suit. He just hopes ‘You Can Dance’ in it.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:14 pm 

So glad I was at Glasgow. I Love How You Love me went down a storm. There is still The In Crowd and Hard Rain from the RAH 74. Ditching Sign of the Times for Slave to Love sucks imho.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:06 pm 

@Uwe: You're right. As Mr. Windswept 2 reports Slave To Love is back. Until his German leg of the tour we will welcome back Jealous Guy + Co. The only pleasure will be to see Bryan at nearly 75 and his perfect musicians.

@ Roger vs Windswept2: On one hand all Roxy/Ferry is good Roxy/Ferry. But on the other hand I would gladly give away The Jazz Age, Bitter Sweet, Ferry Live 2015, RAH 1974 and even Dylanesque for only 30 minutes of Roxy #9. It's not that I don't like jazz. But I like to listen to Ferrys own compositions and lyrics - in their studio versions. I like Frantic, Olympia and Avonmore. Sorry.

@ Roger: Do you know Italian singer Alice's 1987 album 'Park Hotel'? Produced by Phil. When you listen to 'Nomadi' you soon recognize Phil's guitar 8-) .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 pm 

Jerry Nunn wrote:
So glad I was at Glasgow. I Love How You Love me went down a storm. There is still The In Crowd and Hard Rain from the RAH 74. Ditching Sign of the Times for Slave to Love sucks imho.

Cher Jerry,
Windswept envies you. The last time he heard ‘ILHYLM’ live (apart from multiple plays of the new LP) was in ‘74 at TRAH and was so hoping for a repeat next week.
Yes we still have TIC & HR but we had TIC as the opener for the Dylanesque tour and we’ve had HR on multiple occasions.
Anyway, the fact that the set list is significantly different and that our hero is in good shape is enough.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:42 pm 

Cher Roger,
Forgive me, but I find your assertion that Roxy/Ferry are two different things that just happen to have the same singer and songwriter riotously funny !
And with regards to the mighty Bill Nelson, perhaps I should have said ‘major artist’.
Salutations,
W2

Hi Windswept,

I'm glad that you find my comments funny, but I'm assuming that other people agree with me (to a lesser extent) about Roxy/Ferry otherwise there would be no interest in Roxy Music reforming. I have great respect for Phil Manzanera and him not playing on Roxy tracks went against the grain IMHO.

Bill Nelson may not be a major artist now, but he's one of the finest guitarists that the UK has ever produced bar none. Not a bad singer or composer either. It's worth remembering that before he turned his back on fame and fortune that Be-Bop Deluxe were huge in America - not everyone can achieve this however much they desire it.

@ Roger vs Windswept2: On one hand all Roxy/Ferry is good Roxy/Ferry. But on the other hand I would gladly give away The Jazz Age, Bitter Sweet, Ferry Live 2015, RAH 1974 and even Dylanesque for only 30 minutes of Roxy #9. It's not that I don't like jazz. But I like to listen to Ferrys own compositions and lyrics - in their studio versions. I like Frantic, Olympia and Avonmore. Sorry.

@ Roger: Do you know Italian singer Alice's 1987 album 'Park Hotel'? Produced by Phil. When you listen to 'Nomadi' you soon recognize Phil's guitar 8-) .

Pianoman,

I'm a big fan of Frantic, but not too much more from BF's later period. I've listened to Nomadi which I wasn't aware of and yes Phil's playing shines through, as it always does :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:39 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Jerry Nunn wrote:

Cher Jerry,
Windswept envies you. The last time he heard ‘ILHYLM’ live (apart from multiple plays of the new LP) was in ‘74 at TRAH and was so hoping for a repeat next week.
Yes we still have TIC & HR but we had TIC as the opener for the Dylanesque tour and we’ve had HR on multiple occasions.
Anyway, the fact that the set list is significantly different and that our hero is in good shape is enough.
Salutations,
W2

You never know. He may bring some of the RAH 74 stuff for the RAH dates. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:36 pm 

Maybe the changes were due in part to Team BF knowing how many fans attend both Glasgow and Newcastle on each tour?

While I don't think for a moment that the RAH setlists will be a throwback to 1974, I hope (as many of us will be attending both nights) that there will be some changes between Wed & Fri and that ILHYLM will be back on at least one of those nights.

I've decided to catch up with the European leg of the tour at the end of each month, in the hope of catching some surprise setlist variations. Current plan is Stockholm in May, Newmarket in June, then Cologne in July. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next