VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 pm 

What's interesting to me are the "standards" of recent setlists that have been dropped, including Ladytron, ITIS, OOTB, STL, and JG...

There don't seem to be any real surprises in the 2020 set list (except maybe Hiroshima) and by my recollection most of the "new" songs have been played in the post-Olympia concert era.

The real question is the strength of BF's 2020 Voice and will it hold up over 20+ gigs. I enjoy listening to the 2015 Live cd but even five years ago the vocals were, let's say, uneven...

DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:35 pm 

Gazrox wrote:
incredible set that far exceeds expectations.

i for one think it is remarkable that an artist of 74 years continues to reinvent/refresh/remake-remodel, while just about all of his contemporaries have either retired, fallen by the wayside or roll out the same numbers year in, year out.

let's not forget that to overhaul a set in this way is a commercial risk - no 'slave to love', no 'jealous guy', no 'oh yeah'... some of the best known hits (and casual fan favourites) have been axed altogether.

BF is playing for his committed, loyal and dedicated audience of nearly 50 yrs... and playing for pleasure. he is playing songs that we want to hear, and that he wants to play.

BF is bold, brave and inspirational in wanting to rekindle lost tracks so late in his career. for that, he has my utmost respect!

looking forward to your review of glasgow, JO'B - and thank you for bashing out song names during the event itself (which can't have been easy given the change afoot!)

GazRox

Hipsters,
The great GazRox has said it all.
W2 is indecently excited and can’t wait for TRAH.
Have we any news on the sartorial ?
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:13 pm 

I thoroughly enjoyed it last night. It was great hearing the likes of The Thrill of it All, Street Life, Same Old Scene, Sign of the Times, The In Crowd, Hard Rain, Pyjamarama, I Love How You Love Me etc. Being the opening night his voice was strong and hopefully he will get through the tour without having to bring back the songs from the previous years. Those of you who are attending the other dates will enjoy as much as I did. The band seemed to really enjoy it. Jorja was magnificent and a Bryan seemed very happy with things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:27 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Roger wrote:
Over 50% of the set consists of Roxy songs............

All written by Ferry except one Ferry/Mackay, what is wrong with a guy performing the songs he wrote when the band he recorded them with are no longer together?

Roxymphony is a much applauded venture and quite rightly so but no one seems to critisise Phil & Andy for doing Roxy songs in their solo/collaborative live shows, even some that they have no writing credit on

We have been asking on this forum for a change in set and we got that big style and that is what I am focussing on.

J.O'B.

Fair points John. I think the number of Roxy songs has been as high as 80% of the set on some occasions. For me most of the Roxy songs done by BF fall a bit short. The other point is that either from BF or Roxy some new material is badly needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:42 pm 

Roger wrote:
quote="VivaRoxyMusic.com"]
Roger wrote:
Over 50% of the set consists of Roxy songs............

All written by Ferry except one Ferry/Mackay, what is wrong with a guy performing the songs he wrote when the band he recorded them with are no longer together?

Roxymphony is a much applauded venture and quite rightly so but no one seems to critisise Phil & Andy for doing Roxy songs in their solo/collaborative live shows, even some that they have no writing credit on

We have been asking on this forum for a change in set and we got that big style and that is what I am focussing on.

J.O'B.

Fair points John. I think the number of Roxy songs has been as high as 80% of the set on some occasions. For me most of the Roxy songs done by BF fall a bit short. The other point is that either from BF or Roxy some new material is badly needed.[/quote]

Roger,
Nobody has produced the body of work that Ferry has.
Over the last twenty years alone we have had six entirely new albums and three live sets - we’ve had new material agogo !
Which artist (living or dead) can match this at any age - let alone between the age of 54 and 74 ?
What’s more, I’m sure I’m not alone in finding this artificial segmentation between Roxy and Ferry completely bizarre.
They are all his songs. He can do with them as he pleases and I’m delighted he does.
Bring on TRAH and this amazing set .
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:14 pm 

Well what a great show from Bryan in Glasgow last night. A couple of minor sound issues aside (often expected on the first night of a tour) I thought him and the band were on great form, played great together and showed great energy.
We were wondering before if the set list would receive that much needed shake up and it certainly was remade, remodelled! The Thrill of It All was a great and surprising opening and it was great to hear the likes of You Can Dance, Pyjamarama, Same Old Scene, Hiroshima and I Love How You Love Me amongst others.
The surge to the front happened from Same Old Scene so it was a good chunk of the show we were treated to Bryan stage side! Bryan performing faultlessly even as a bra was thrown on stage to him!
A fantastic show and Bryan performing and looking great for a man of 74. I’m looking forward to going down to London to see him at the RAH next week and hope everyone who has a concert to go to really enjoy themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:18 pm 

Hipsters,
The ‘Great Scott’s’ review has W2 excited beyond anything that is decent.
TRAH can’t come quick enough.
And what a great photo. The sartorial importance of a polka dot tie can’t be underestimated!
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:33 pm 

Think it was a truly daring new setlist, and I for one think it worked very well,None of us are always gonna be truly happy,but I think all the song's fitted in so well together, I am so glad tara and j.guy are gone, hope he keep's them out? Like a hurricane,great long version and was good for spedding, but imagine instead of that he done just another high?? now that would have been the icing on the cake. Ok voice is still pretty soft, which is a little worrying but at least we still have him, He seem's to be touring possibly too much now but hopefully he's doing it because he's still enjoying it.

I hope this setlist stay's so the rest of the fan's can get to hear the song's, I know he's got a habit of changing song's after the first show, but hope he doesn't. Oh and as usual band fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:01 pm 

For Your Pleasure wrote:
I hope this setlist stay's so the rest of the fan's can get to hear the song's, I know he's got a habit of changing song's after the first show, but hope he doesn't.

Me, too 8-) . Nevertheless I am afraid that I have to endure Jealous Guy + Slave To Love once again because the European/German public wants to hear these Ferry standards. The first thing in the morning that I did on the 4th of March was to read the new set list and it really made me happy :D . The Bogus Man! Just Like You! Limbo! Street Life! The 'In'-Crowd! Absolutely great! I hope he keeps fit until the end of July - and that Corona does not rain on my Ferry parade ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:55 pm 

A great night in Glasgow and a great list to boot.The band and Bryan all looked to really enjoy the performance and take the place by storm. Bryan had the audience in his hands early on and had them rocking from the stalls to the balcony and by the time he finished he we were all wanting more.
This should go down as one of the great perfomances and shows ever performed by the man himself.
All the fans and people I talked to after the show were over the moon about the night and how fantastic it was.
On this performance I can only say that all the other u.k dates are in for a great night out to remember .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next