VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Royal Albert Hall rendezvous
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:04 am 

For those hoping to bump into like minded souls before this week's remaining gigs, I can recommend the Queen's Arms in Queen's Gate Mews.

Pre-gig will probably work best, as post-gig won't leave much time, with the pub closing at 11 p.m.

For those who might want a later drink (and possibly a broader and slightly less expensive lunch menu), the Gloucester Arms on Gloucester Road is only 2-3 mins further away from the RAH (and Gloucester Road tube station is barely 5 mins walk down the road).

The Gloucester should be open until 11.30 p.m. on Wednesday and midnight on Friday.

Post subject: Re: Royal Albert Hall rendezvous
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:03 pm 
Site Owner

We will be at Queen's Arms from around 5PM on Friday.
Enjoy the Wednesday show anyone who is going.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 pm 

Seems from W2 that it was a great show last night! I envy everyone who was there.
My wife and I were on our way ti London but when we reached Oslo airport new rules were instituted for Norwegian health personell and we were ordered back home(my wife and I are both doctors).
There will be two empty seats on row 3 at RAH tomorrow.
Hope you all have a great time and stay healthy!

Uwe2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:45 am 

Uwe2 wrote:
Seems from W2 that it was a great show last night! I envy everyone who was there.
My wife and I were on our way ti London but when we reached Oslo airport new rules were instituted for Norwegian health personell and we were ordered back home(my wife and I are both doctors).
There will be two empty seats on row 3 at RAH tomorrow.
Hope you all have a great time and stay healthy!

Uwe2

Uwe2,
Quel Bordel !
Windswept knows that the hypocritical oath makes extraordinary demands but missing a fandango is beyond the pale.
His heart goes out to your wife and yourself - W2 would have been tempted to resign from the profession but appreciates your higher standards.
It was a great show.
Salutations et Commiserations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:05 pm 

Chers amis!

Sorry I didn´t attend the pre-concert meeting. As me and my family arrived to London from different corners of Europe, I thought it was a good idea to stay with them and have the aperitif in Hyde park.

About the concert, first of all I was so happy that it took place and that we were able to attend. ( I feel sorry fro you, Uwe2, quel bordel, as the great W2 puts it).

Bryan was in good shape. Once and for all he must have silenced the ones who worry - out of concern and schadefreude - about his voice when he sang Don´t Think twice... and To make you feel…

My highlights: You can dance, Painted smile, Limbo.

Salutations à tous et, j´espere. à bientot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:45 am 

I see that the RAH has closed it's doors until the end of April.

How lucky are we, if we managed to catch this tour?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:48 pm 

We were lucky indeed! Two great shows; I thought Wednesday was very good, but Friday knocked it out of the park!

With BF and the band all on great form, it was probably on a par with 2013 and The Jazz Age tour. The warmth of the applause received by BF from his own backing vocalists at the end of Friday shows spoke volumes; they knew how good it was.

Personal highlights were: Bogus Man, with Neil's sinister, brooding bass lines and BF nailing the vocals in all registers (one in the eye for his critics...); the pair of Dylan ballads, which left most eyes (including BF's) moist; the guitars, especially Spedding, on Like A Hurricane; BF's harmonica work. :D

The set list changes were very welcome too, even if Glasgow was alone in getting to witness ILHYLM (the rest of us can dream of its return in the spring/summer...). I'd have loved TTOIA to have had all its verses, but I'm nitpicking, as we all do; it was nice to have it back after so long (2004 was the previous airing, I think).

J.O'B may correct me on these dates, but I think The 'In' Crowd and Just Like You reappeared at solo* gigs for the first time since 2007 (Dylanesque tour), Your Painted Smile since 1994/5 (Mamouna) and Bogus Man since 1988/9 (Bete Noire). I don't think Pyjamarama had previously been in a BF setlist, while Hiroshima was receiving a live debut on its 18th birthday! ;)

(*JLY & Pyjamarama were in Roxy's 2011 setlists and Bogus Man in 2006.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:15 pm 

If he`s been better than in a long time, that`s good news.

"BF nailing the vocals in all registers (one in the eye for his critics...)"

-Ach so, oh well, that`s good news too. The setlist contains many pleasing new names. Your favourites are The Bogus Man and the Dylan songs... -Hmm..., -And Like a Hurricane? -And BF`s harmonica work?

-Could synths be heared?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 pm 

...while Hiroshima was receiving a live debut on its 18th birthday!

Just had a private message from a member pointing out that Hiroshima was in fact played at a handful of gigs in September 2002. I had only checked the "typical setlist" on the Frantic tour page; mea culpa! ;)

Perhaps we should await Take Me To The River for a real live debut; J.O'B once told me that it's the only track from TBSB yet to be played in concert. :)