VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Brya Ferry - arte-tv
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:21 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Bonjour!

Mais oui. le grand W2 a raison - this must be the best documentary ever. It contains so much. Maybe most of us don´t need this reminder, but it´s just incredible how diverse and rich our hero´s ouvre is.
The Penshaw monument made somehow a strong impression on me. So strong that I would like to see it with my own eyes.
Bonne journée à tous!

Cher Oberon,
‘Penshaw Monument’ is indeed worth a visit.
It has a grandeur and stands in stark contrast to much of the region. One can easily see how a young boy with an artistic sensibility would draw inspiration from it.
Ferry is the consummate artist. Some of his peers have had careers equal in length and greater in material riches but few can equal his diversity, quality or consistency.
His unique talent, education and background has given him a perspective that allows him to stay on the outside looking in. Something that is so important for an artist and although he constantly flirts with the high and mighty he remains firmly connected to his roots.
Something that was well illustrated by the documentary was the influence that art, film and literature have had on his work and associated style.
We are lucky to be sharing the planet with him.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:23 pm 

@doc

Let's hope he was talking about a new album at the end (and not Avonmore).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I read somewhere a long time ago that Bryan really likes to re-create his Bete Noir album...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:48 pm 

@ doc + Uwe: I wrote above that I am afraid he was talking about Bitter Sweet or the RAH 1974 album because the production date was 2019.

Maybe some of you have heard that (Sir) Elton John has released a jewel box cd set with at least 60 songs from his career that have never before seen the light of day. If Bryan only did something comparable! There must be some songs left from TBSB, Avalon, ATGB, Dylanesque etc.

Bryan and his team should work them over and release them - BF & Co. are old; we, the fans are old: High time to do this for the benefit of all fans!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:02 pm 

doc wrote:
Yes, this was really a great documentary. The french-german Arte-channel usually delivers high quality material.
Let's hope he was talking about a new album at the end (and not Avonmore).

Avonmore was released in 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:06 pm 

Enjoyed that. Just a shame they didn’t use subtitles when Bryan was talking like they did with Bowie etc. Great footage though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:09 pm 

Wow! Thanks for the link Uwe!!!

This is the best documentary I have seen so far. So many unseen (for me) pictures and clips... including a puzzle, i.e. what he meant at the end. New album?

Dankeschön!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:08 am 

Well, in the closing credits two dates are displayed. I believe
the film was made with Bryan's cooperation in 2019, and the final editing was completed in 2020.
Yet, Bryan does clearly say that "they" are pleased with the work already completed on the new album. So, based on this, he is not referring to Avonmore, but either something really new, or the latest live Album being released early next year.
Great documentary, and was he a handsome guy! interesting that
when interviewed (just before performing Dance Away in a studio) asked about the arguments around the Siren period, he did look at Phil confirming that all issues had been resolved. Phil nodded in agreement. Andy was just out of picture.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:33 am 

pianoman wrote:

Maybe some of you have heard that (Sir) Elton John has released a jewel box cd set with at least 60 songs from his career that have never before seen the light of day. If Bryan only did something comparable! There must be some songs left from TBSB, Avalon, ATGB, Dylanesque etc.

Bryan and his team should work them over and release them - BF & Co. are old; we, the fans are old: High time to do this for the benefit of all fans!

Furloughed Ferryistas,

This is one of those rare occasions when W2 must respectfully disagree with “Pianoman”.

Our hero has maintained quality and innovation throughout and the last thing we need at this juncture are snippets from the cutting room floor.

Much better to Re-make/Re-model ‘Bete Noire’ or make an album of ready mades.

Malheureusement Reg will do anything for a new tiara and sadly W2 doesn’t think he has done anything remotely interesting since ‘Captain Fantastic’.

Salutations et W2 souhaite a tous un joyeux Noel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:52 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Furloughed Ferryistas,

This is one of those rare occasions when W2 must respectfully disagree with “Pianoman”.

Our hero has maintained quality and innovation throughout and the last thing we need at this juncture are snippets from the cutting room floor.

Malheureusement Reg will do anything for a new tiara and sadly W2 doesn’t think he has done anything remotely interesting since ‘Captain Fantastic’.

Dear Windswept,

of course I respect your disagreement. But, on the contrary, there are albums that should/could have been double albums (Viva, TBSB) or songs that were only left out because they produced too much for one single cd. And not because it was weak material (wasn't it you who wrote that all Ferry is good Ferry? :D ).

Of course, this world has other worries at the moment. With this in mind je vous aussi souhaîte un Joyeux Noël et: Stay safe!

- "pianoman" Peter -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:45 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
pianoman wrote:

I tend to agree that, interesting as they may be for one or two hearings, snippets from the cutting room floor rarely warrant repeat listenings. We also know that with Bryan things are often returned to years after first being worked on, so I sense a reluctance to let them out into the public domain if there is still life in them and work to be done on them.

Re Sir Elton of John - unquestionably, like Bowie and Ferry/Roxy, his golden streak was in the first half of the 1970s (how many albums did that trio make or release between them in the year of 1973 alone??). Still he has occasionally released some fine work in later years, such as 2013's The Diving Board and 2001's Songs from the West Coast, co-produced by Mr Bete Noire himself Patrick Leonard.