VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The best Ferry tracks.......ever!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:16 pm 

Smudge wrote:
Forensic Fred reporting, albeit slightly belatedly, for analytical duty.......................

OLYMPIA
Reason Or Rhyme (9) attracted more votes than any song on any of BF's solo albums (which doesn't make it the best, of course, although maybe the best in the past decade?). Other favourites are Song To The Siren & Tender Is The Night (2 votes apiece), No Face No Name No Number, Alphaville, You Can Dance & Shameless (1 each).

AVONMORE
A close contest between Johnny And Mary (5), Avonmore (4), Lost (3), Driving Me Wild & Loop De Li (2 each) and Send In The Clowns (1).

BITTER-SWEET
Only a dozen votes again here, with Boys And Girls (6) leading Reason Or Rhyme (3), Bitter-Sweet (2) and Zamba (1).

Hipsters,

Bonne Annee a tous et a huge thank you to Smudge (aka Forensic Fred) for this top analysis.

Although the sample is small, it comes from fans that have a real knowledge of the music and of many things that are interesting, W2 finds the choices from the last decade the most interesting of all.

In his not so humble opinion, the choices of ‘Reason Or Rhyme’, ‘Johnny & Mary’ and ‘Boys &Girls’ shows an insatiable appetite for the noir Ferry and would auger extremely well for a re-make of ‘Bette Noire’ in the style of ‘Bitter -Sweet’s’ ‘Boys & Girls’.

Just en distant, as they say in the modern indium.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:11 pm 

I was in a rush and forgot The Jazz Age - Which IMO is a masterpiece of post modernism - I love everything on this album and find it hard to choose - but if I must then it will be Reason or Rhyme - at times the playing can bring a tear to my eye. Also I forgot Bitter Sweet - like most folks I’d choose Boys and Girls from this collection.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:20 pm 

I was in a rush and forgot The Jazz Age - Which IMO is a masterpiece of post modernism - I love everything on this album and find it hard to choose - but if I must then it will be Reason or Rhyme - at times the playing can bring a tear to my eye. Also I forgot Bitter Sweet - like most folks I’d choose Boys and Girls from this collection.

Don't worry, Gardner; you were far from alone in ignoring those chapters from the BF "canon". A pity, IMHO, but then I'm a jazz fan (albeit with a preference for the 50s & 60s, rather than the 20s & 30s); I might not have purchased if our leader had decided, for example, to release his rap album! :lol:

I've updated the "running totals" post to include your additional choices.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:05 pm 

Sorry I'm so late to the party but I have enjoyed looking over the choices so far. I always find these lists very difficult to do as it is so hard to pick just one favourite from each album but I am going to be very strict with myself and some choices......for today anyway!

TFT - Sympathy for the Devil
ATAP - ATAP
LST - The Price of Love
IYM - Love me Madly Again
TBSB - Can't Let Go
B&G - The Chosen One
BN - The Right Stuff
Taxi - I Put a Spell on You
M - The Only Face
ATGB - Where or When
Frantic - A Fool for Love
Dylan - Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Olympia - Reason or Rhyme
TJA - This Island Earth
A - Avonmore
BS - Boys and Girls

Best Original - Love me Madly Again

Best Cover - Sympathy for the Devil

Best Non-album track - She's Leaving Home

8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:15 pm 

Again. I'm late to the party!

These Foolish Things – These Foolish Things
Another Time Another Place – Another Time Another Place
Let’s Stick Together – 2HB
In Your Mind – Love Me Madly Again
The Bride Stripped Bare – When She Walks In The Room
Boys & Girls – Valentine
Bete Noire – Kiss & Tell
Taxi – Answer Me
Mamouna - The 39 Steps
As Time Goes By – Falling In Love Again
Frantic – I Thought
Dylanesque – Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Olympia – Reason or Rhyme
The Jazz Age – I Thought (again!)
Avonmore – Loop De Li
Bitter Sweet – Bitter Sweet (It was written to be played like this)

Best Original - Love Me Madly Again

Best Cover - Let's Stick Together

Best Non-album track - Horoscope version of MOP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:38 am 

Forensic Fred reporting back for further analytical duty! ;)

Hopefully there may yet be a few more votes cast, but the updated picture looks like this...

THESE FOOLISH THINGS
Seven songs from this timeless gem have found their way to favour, with Sympathy For The Devil tied with the title track (6 votes each). A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (3), River Of Salt (2), Don't Worry Baby, Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever & Piece Of My Heart (1 each) have also received votes.

ANOTHER TIME ANOTHER PLACE
The title track (10 votes) is pulling clear of The "In" Crowd (6), some way ahead of It Ain't Me Babe (2), Smoke Gets In Your Eyes & Fingerpoppin' (1 each).

LET'S STICK TOGETHER
Votes for nine different songs. The title track (6) leads the way here too, ahead of Casanova (3), Price Of Love, Sea Breezes, 2HB & Shame Shame Shame (2 each), Heart On My Sleeve, Chance Meeting & You Go To My Head (1 each).

IN YOUR MIND
Love Me Madly Again (8) has a clear edge over the title track (4), Party Doll (3), Rock Of Ages (2), All Night Operator, Tokyo Joe & This Is Tomorrow (1 each).

THE BRIDE STRIPPED BARE
Seven different favourites here, with When She Walks In The Room (5.5) the narrow front runner, ahead of This Island Earth (5), Carrickfergus (3), Sign Of The Times & Can't Let Go (2 each), What Goes On (1) and Take Me To The River (0.5).

BOYS AND GIRLS
Currently a dead heat between Windswept and Don't Stop The Dance (5 each), followed by The Chosen One (4), the title track (3), Slave To Love, Valentine & Stone Woman (1 each).

BÊTE NOIRE
The title track (7 votes) seems to be the favourite over Kiss And Tell (5), Limbo & Day For Night (2 each), New Town, Zamba & The Right Stuff (1 each).

TAXI
Seven different favourites, with I Put A Spell On You (5) heading off the title track, Rescue Me, & Answer Me (3 each). Votes also cast for All Tomorrow's Parties (2), plus Will You Love Me Tomorrow & Are You Lonesome Tonight? (1 each) [the last named being the bonus track on the Japanese issue, of course].

MAMOUNA
Nine nominees (only Don't Want To Know has been ignored thus far) , with the title track and Chain Reaction (4 each) leading The Only Face (3), Your Painted Smile & Which Way To Turn (2 each), plus N.Y.C., The 39 Steps, Gemini Moon & Wildcat Days (1 each).

AS TIME GOES BY
Eight different songs again here. I'm In The Mood For Love (5) shades it from Where Or When (4), Miss Otis Regrets (3) and Falling In Love Again & Time On My Hands (2 each), with votes also received for The Way You Look Tonight, the title track & September Song (1 each).

FRANTIC
Seven nominees again, with I Thought (8.5) garnering nearly half the votes, ahead of Hiroshima (4.5), Don't Think Twice It's All Right & Fool For Love (2 each), One Way Love, It's All Over Now Baby Blue & Goddess Of Love (1 each).

DYLANESQUE
A massive ten different favourites (only If Not For You has been ignored), with the votes split between Gates Of Eden (4), All Along The Watchtower (3), Simple Twist Of Fate, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues & Make You Feel My Love & Knockin' On Heaven's Door (2 each), Baby Let Me Follow You Down, Positively 4th Street, All I Really Want To Do & The Times They Are A-Changin' (1 each).

OLYMPIA
Reason Or Rhyme (11) attracted more votes than any song on any of BF's solo albums (which doesn't make it the best, of course, although maybe the best in the past decade?). Other favourites are Song To The Siren, Shameless & Tender Is The Night (2 votes apiece), No Face No Name No Number, Alphaville & You Can Dance (1 each).

THE JAZZ AGE
Only sixteen votes cast for these songs and This Island Earth (10) attracted almost two thirds of them! Do The Strand (2), Reason Or Rhyme, Just Like You, I Thought & Slave To Love (1 each) were the other nominees.

AVONMORE
A close contest between the title track & Johnny And Mary (5 each), Lost & Loop De Li (3 each), Driving Me Wild (2), Send In The Clowns & Soldier Of Fortune (1 each).

BITTER-SWEET
Only sixteen votes again here, with Boys And Girls (9) leading the title track & Reason Or Rhyme (3 each) and Zamba (1).

Best Original Composition
A dozen different choices here, with Love Me Madly Again (4 votes) ahead of I Thought (2) & Another Time Another Place (2 each), then (in chronological order) In Your Mind, This Island Earth, Windswept, Don't Stop The Dance, New Town, Your Painted Smile, The Only Face, Hiroshima & Reason Or Rhyme (1 each).

Best Cover Version
Nine different "ready mades" received votes, with A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall & Let's Stick Together (3 each), then Sympathy For The Devil, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes & I Put A Spell On You (2 each) finding marginally more favour than (in chronological order) , The "In" Crowd, Taxi, Rescue Me & No Face No Name No Number (1 each).

Special Mention
Windswept2's fondness for 2HB was echoed by mentions for She's Leaving Home, Crazy Love & Mother Of Pearl (Horoscope version), then surpassed by the outpouring of affection for As The World Turns (7 mentions)! Maybe BF may yet be persuaded to perform the latter in concert; perhaps with a full orchestra or, alternatively, stripped back to its acoustic bones with just piano & violin? ;)

Last edited by Smudge on Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:41 pm 

EERO wrote:
Again. I'm late to the party!

In Your Mind – Love Me Madly Again
Boys & Girls – Valentine
Bete Noire – Kiss & Tell
Taxi – Answer Me
Mamouna - The 39 Steps
As Time Goes By – Falling In Love Again
Frantic – I Thought
Dylanesque – Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Olympia – Reason or Rhyme
The Jazz Age – I Thought (again!)
Avonmore – Loop De Li
Bitter Sweet – Bitter Sweet (It was written to be played like this)

Best Original - Love Me Madly Again

Best Cover - Let's Stick Together

Best Non-album track - Horoscope version of MOP

Hipsters,
There are aspects of EERO’s submission that are hugely attractive.
If ‘Valentine’, ‘Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door’, ‘Loop Di Li’, ‘Bitter Sweet’ and ‘Let’s Stick Together’ could be substituted, W2 really thinks we could be onto something here !
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:52 pm 
Site Owner

In Your Mind – Rock Of Ages
Boys & Girls – The Chosen One
Bete Noire – Zamba
Taxi – Taxi
Mamouna - Gemini Moon
As Time Goes By – Time On My Hands
Frantic – Hiroshima
Dylanesque – Gates Of Eden
Olympia – Shameless
The Jazz Age – This Island Earth
Avonmore – Soldier Of Fortune
Bitter Sweet – Boys And Girls

Best Original - Another Time Another Place

Best Cover - I Put A Spell On You

Best Non-album track - Crazy Love

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:20 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
In Your Mind – Rock Of Ages
Boys & Girls – The Chosen One
Bete Noire – Zamba
Taxi – Taxi
Mamouna - Gemini Moon
As Time Goes By – Time On My Hands
Frantic – Hiroshima
Dylanesque – Gates Of Eden
Olympia – Shameless
The Jazz Age – This Island Earth
Avonmore – Soldier Of Fortune
Bitter Sweet – Boys And Girls

Best Original - Another Time Another Place

Best Cover - I Put A Spell On You

Best Non-album track - Crazy Love

J.O'B.

Furloughed Ferryistas & Shielding Sirens,
Apart from dodgy choices from Olympia & Avonmore, J.O’B’s selections look worthy. N’est-ce-pas ?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:54 pm 

Running totals above have been updated to incorporate the important votes cast by J.O'B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next