VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Unreleased material
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:48 pm 

I always found it strange that Ferry and Palmer's paths never seemed to cross despite all their parallels. Indeed, the similarities are such that I've even known people to confuse the two of them. I remember Tony Wilson interviewing Palmer in the 90's and telling him that he thought RP wore a suit "even better than Ferry", Palmer looked a bit mischievous in response and queried "Gianfranco Ferre?", before adding "I know who you mean". But my impression for years (until BF covered Johnny & Mary) was that neither of them really cared much for each other. How wrong can you be?

I got to see Palmer live as part of one of these Wembley extravaganzas about 25 years ago but my interest in him doesn't stretch much beyond his greatest hits and he's always seemed to me like a poor mans BF who never quite found his own musical style or vision. But I accept that may be doing him a discredit given that I've never delved into his back catalogue enough to form a fully educated opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:00 pm 

Chers amis!

Mon Dieu, Dean, from where do you get all this information? When my son is not around, I´m fairly helpless when it comes to digital matters. But still how on earth can you know so much about unreleased material. I´d loved to hear songs from the so-called Horoscope and Alphaville and the brass-band version of When she walks... Well, anyway, I have my vinyls and cd:s!
Probably it´s all my fault, but I never had any interest in Palmer. To me he seemed to be something of a history teacher that somehow turned into a pop star. Liked the video with the models, though!
Salut à vous tous!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:04 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

......Probably it´s all my fault, but I never had any interest in Palmer. To me he seemed to be something of a history teacher that somehow turned into a pop star. Liked the video with the models, though!
Salut à vous tous!

Cher Oberon,
C’est peut- etre ta faute mais it is never too late for a man with consummate good taste.
Palmer never made a bad album but if you listen intently to ‘Sneakin Sally Through The Alley’, ‘Pressure Drop’, ‘Ridin High’ and ‘Drive’, you will improve your life immeasurably.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:51 am 

I liked to see more of the live stuff.
Bryan at the Hollywood Bowl with Strings
Live in Switzerland acoustic set one off.
Live in Ireland with strings.
Roxy For Your Pleasure tour cd/dvd.
Be more like Neil Young and release the archives. It shouldn’t just sit there There’s gold in them there hills.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:19 pm 

Maybe this has already been mentioned.. but I’m sure there was also a recording of ‘Addicted to love’ at the same time as ‘Johnny and Mary’ with Todd Terje..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:59 pm 

Dean wrote:
-Frantic (title track to BF’s 2002 album that never got included on it)

I thought Tender Is The Night from Olympia is Frantic under a new name.
Written with Dave Stewart and he says "Frantic" seven times in that song..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:14 pm 

Uwe2 wrote:
Dean wrote:
-Frantic (title track to BF’s 2002 album that never got included on it)

I thought Tender Is The Night from Olympia is Frantic under a new name.
Written with Dave Stewart and he says "Frantic" seven times in that song..

Hipsters,
Interesting intervention from Uwe2.
Windswept always considered TITN an ode to Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of the same name but perhaps it was originally titled ‘Frantic’ ?
In any event, it’s a hauntingly beautiful chanson.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:23 am 

More interesting stuff folks. Is anyone able to confirm that Tender Is the Night was originally Frantic? Somehow I'd always imagined a much quicker tempo to a song with that name.

Also agree that more live releases would be welcome but perhaps we'll get these included on deluxe editions of the various albums over time.

Oh, and Oberon you can't be looking too hard if you've yet to hear Horoscope and Alphaville as they've been available on Youtube for quite some time now. Give them a listen and let us know what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:35 pm 

Quote:
I´d loved to hear songs from the so-called Horoscope and Alphaville

I'd suggest you're not missing much. All in various stages of completion and most has subsequently found its way onto Frantic, Olympia and Avonmore. There's quite a difference between unreleased material that's finished but didn't make the cut and material that BF would never sanction release in its current form. Personally I have no interest at all in the latter.

I can only hope BF is putting all this time to good use and new material will be forthcoming to quench the thirst that undoubtedly generates threads of this kind. And if there's a couple of Robert Palmer interpretations in there, so much the better. BF would certainly be spoilt for choice if he chose to stroll down that particular road.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:46 pm 

I recall Bryan mentioned in a post-Frantic album release interview that "a song on the album included the word Frantic but we didn't have time to finish it."

Hence Tender is The Night on Olympia. I'm sure Dave Stewart will concur. :)