VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unreleased material
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:05 am 

Really hope I’m not contravening forum rules (don’t see why I should be as unreleased stuff gets mentioned elsewhere on this site) but talk of BF revisiting You Go To My Head during the ATGB sessions got me thinking about other unreleased stuff that is sitting in the BF archives. The Horoscope and Alphaville sessions are already widely available and I’ve also managed to get my hands on a few other things over the years, such as the Taxi outtakes (aka Whatever Whenever) and also the Flesh & Blood and Avalon demos. Just about everything worthwhile from those sessions has now been released with the tragic exception of Love War, which seems destined never to be see the light of day given that a verse from it was included in the infinitely inferior Fool For Love. Of course, the thing we’d all really love to hear is the Roxy outtakes from 2005 when the guys got together for an ultimately aborted comeback. The other unreleased stuff I’ve become aware of over the years but never actually heard is as follows:

-Frantic (title track to BF’s 2002 album that never got included on it)

-Couldn’t Get It Right (BF co-write with Andy Mackay from the Alphaville period)

-Some Other Spring (presumably a Billie Holiday cover)

-Just One More Chance (another Billie Holiday cover perhaps)

-Wouldn’t You Let Me Go

-Ballade

-Loads of Dylanesque outtakes (Lay Lady Lay, It Takes a Lot to Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry, Tangled Up in Blue, Blowin in the Wind, To Ramona, My Back Pages, Love Minus Zero/ No Limits, Mr Tambourine Man)

-Light My Fire (Roxy cover of The Doors classic)

Anyone able to provide more info on these or aware of any other unreleased stuff?

Post subject: Re: Unreleased material
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 am 

Furloughed Fellow Fandangoists,

Jesmond Dean poses an excellent question.

One of the facets of Ferry fandom that W2 finds flat out hilarious are the naysayers who wax lyrical with every new release claiming “Oh that one, it’s been around forever, it’s from the so and so sessions in nineteen frozen to death”.

When has it ever been a crime to take time with art and doesn’t great art take time ?

Windswept has long been of the opinion that owning his own working studio gives our hero the environment he needs to ‘turn the canvas to the wall’ and there will doubtless be countless treasures lurking in the vaults of ‘Studio One’.

Dean names some interesting morsels and W2 would love to hear anything from ATGB or TJA sessions and there are two other specific recordings that he’d love to see get an official release :

First off, there is an absolutely beautiful brass band rendition of ‘When She Walks In The Room’ that Ferry arranged for his friend, Isabella Blow’s, funeral. It is haunting beyond belief.

The second is the live recording made for German radio of AEWBF at Tollwood, Munich in July 2013. There are just so many blistering and unique arrangements in that set including an epic performance of the Mayfield classic ‘Move On Up’. Windswept rates this as one of Ferry’s most creative life performances ever and he scratches his lockdown locks in wonderment as to why it hasn’t received a mega release ?

Still, in Ferry world, hope springs eternal and here’s looking forward to the April RAH release.

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 am 

Agree completely re the Isabella Blow WSWITR tribute, which is a thing of beauty (although would BF's own orchestra be able to do it better I wonder?). Can't Get Started With You is another song that has appeared live but has never been released despite a studio version being recorded for the Richard III soundtrack.

And despite our webmasters reluctance to discuss it on this forum, I've just come across the following about the ATGB sessions elsewhere on this website:

'Ferry also recorded for the second time You Go To My Head but with an arrangement more like the Billie Holiday version and also the 30s standard 'Some Other Spring'. These tracks have never been released'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:32 am 
Site Owner

Dean wrote:
And despite our webmasters reluctance to discuss it on this forum, I've just come across the following about the ATGB sessions elsewhere on this website:

'Ferry also recorded for the second time You Go To My Head but with an arrangement more like the Billie Holiday version and also the 30s standard 'Some Other Spring'. These tracks have never been released'.

That information was not made available for the first time by myself I first learned of this information online on a review/interview so the information was available elsewhere when I posted it here.

There have been mention of covers/song titles etc on interviews etc in the past by official sources. I remember reading in an interview with Bryan around the mid '90s that he had recorded Whatever Gets You Through The Night, Love War and some others.

There is nothing posted here that has not been made available elsewhere first.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:11 am 

Thanks for the clarification John and of course Whatever Gets You Through the Night has since received an official release as a bonus track on the Olympia deluxe edition (along with One Night, although BF's Phyllis Nelson cover Move Closer was omitted despite an initial announcement that it too would be included - I can understand why having heard this awful version).

Btw other tracks that have received live outings but never been released as studio versions are:

Roadrunner
Ticket to Ride
Wooly Bully
Surrender
Butcher Boy
John Hardy
Like A Hurricane

Am guessing at least a few of them have studio versions locked away in the vaults somewhere. I've also always wanted to hear the full version of the accoustic Only Face that appears on the Mamouna promo documentary.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:48 pm 

Dean wrote:
Agree completely re the Isabella Blow WSWITR tribute, which is a thing of beauty (although would BF's own orchestra be able to do it better I wonder?). Can't Get Started With You is another song that has appeared live but has never been released despite a studio version being recorded for the Richard III soundtrack.

Cher Jesmond Dean,
There are things you note that I would love to hear.
‘Light My Fire’ by RM being one of them albeit, sometimes things are locked away for a reason, like Ferry’s take on ‘Move Closer’. Not his finest hour.
And yes, it would be great to hear what TBFO could do with an instrumental version of WSWITR. They did play it on the AEWBF tour but it was as part of the ‘rock set’ and was TBSB version.
Also, legend has it that there are more interpretations of Robert Palmer’s work in the can with only J&M released thus far.
Perhaps we should have a rummage through the draws in ‘Studio One’ ?
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:47 pm 

Hi Dean, thank you very much for your list of unreleased songs. I knew of about some of them, but never heard of most of them.

It's a shame that so many songs have never seen the light of day. Some years ago I proposed in this forum that Bryan should release a cd or double cd with these songs - eventually not via a major record company but in the way he did it with BF Live 2015 ;) .

I know that publishing CDs isn't the way you earn a much money today but it would be a service for his fans.

Yes, Love War is a song that sounds very roxy to me - what if he wrote a new bridge for it? And a co-production between Ferry and Mackay ... wow! 8-)

When I listened to the Avalon tapes as available on YouTube I thought what a shame it was, to release so little material (including his solo song To Turn You On). There was a lot of good material with catchy chorusses on it - but I am afraid there are no further (finished) outtakes from Avalon :roll: .

We should all together write a letter to Bryan to ask him to make it possible to listen to the songs as listed by Dean ;).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:46 am 

Interesting stuff folks. I've been revisiting some of the unreleased material in my collection today and most of it remains unreleased for good reason ('Blinded By the Life I'm Living' anyone?), whilst some others have a certain charm to them but don't quite cut the mustard ('That Girl of Mine' being a good example). But there are some things that I really wish could have made it onto an album, including 2 or 3 tracks from the F&B/ Avalon demos, an interesting piece from the Taxi outtakes called 'New Song' and of course Love War (I like pianoman's suggestion of creating a new bridge to allow this to happen and I'd also be interested to know what BF had to say about Love War in the interview that JO'B mentions). On the other hand there are songs that have ended up getting an official release that I wish he'd left well alone (the cringeworthy Special Kind of Guy being one).

Intriguing to hear as well that BF had a bit of a Robert Palmer obsession, I always thought he might have regarded Palmer as a little bit beneath him tbh. Has he dared to give Addicted to Love a go I wonder?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:50 am 

Dean wrote:

“.....Intriguing to hear as well that BF had a bit of a Robert Palmer obsession, I always thought he might have regarded Palmer as a little bit beneath him tbh. Has he dared to give Addicted to Love a go I wonder?

Cher Jesmond Dean,
I don’t know if our hero is attracted to Palmer’s canon of work or just particular songs.
Personally I suspect it’s the former.
There are just so many parallels. Their Northern roots. Their Art School backgrounds. The breadth of their musical tastes. The genres they covered. Their production capabilities. Their impeccable sartorial taste.
I was lucky enough to meet him back in the early ‘70s in John McCoy’s Kirk Levington Club (Yarm, Teeside). He was a great guy who had music in his veins.
He’d just released his ‘Sneakin’ Sally Through The Alley’ album and had come home to visit his parents. John introduced me to him and we spoke for ages.
He went on to do great things and as with Ferry, I bought all his albums.
I was extremely saddened by his early passing and delighted that Bryan covered J&M.
I’d love to know if Bryan and Robert ever met.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:04 am 

Cher Windswept,

a little bit off topic but in the early 70s it was again the Radio Bremen "Musikladen" that promoted Vinegar Joe, Robert Palmers Band (together with Elkie Brooks). I was really fascinated and then their album "6 Star General" became one of my first longplay records ever ("Proud To Be A Honky Woman" - absolutely brillant!).

Of course I watched the solo careers of Robert Palmer and Elkie Brooks ("Pearl's A Singer"). I don't own each an every record of Robert but he really had a lot of musical talents (reggae, rock, blues, jazz etc.). A genius that died much too early. My favourites: "Best Of Both Worlds" and "Know By Now".

Off topic - stop 8-)

Salut cordial de la Bavarie,

- pianoman -