VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Extended/ remixed BF songs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:47 am 

Was delving through my BF/ RM collection yesterday and pulled out an old imported copy of Dance With Life, which was a real rarity back in the day as it wasn’t released here in the UK. I’ve always had a love/ hate relationship with this song. Loved it for the first few listens, then hated it but began liking it again in more recent years and think I’ve finally found out the reason why. For years now I’ve been listening to the edited single version as that’s the one on my iPod. It’s unusual for me, though, not to have the longest available version uploaded so yesterday I gave the extended version a spin for the first time in about 15 years and disliked it! Was amazed by how much my opinion varied depending on whether I was listening to the edited or extended version. The funny thing is that the single also contains extended versions of Is Your Love Strong Enough and Help Me, both of which I adore. In fairness, the extended version of Help Me is the only one I’ve ever known and I don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference with the edited version but the extended version of Is Your Love Strong Enough brings that song to another dimension IMHO. I’d always regarded IYLSE as fairly average fare until I heard the extended version, which really does give the opportunity for the listener to get lost in the superb musicianship (esp Dave Gilmour’s guitar) in the last few minutes. It all made me wonder if anyone else much prefers the edited versions of any BF/ RM songs compared to their extended versions or vice versa? Also does anyone prefer any remixed versions of BF/ RM songs to their originals? For me the Fred Falke remix of You Can Dance is much better than any other version of this song (even BF gave it a special mention in an interview around the time of its release). Also love the 12” mixes of The Right Stuff and Don’t Stop the Dance (esp the way they both kick off) though probably still marginally prefer the originals of both songs.

Post subject: Re: Extended/ remixed BF songs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 pm 
Site Owner

Bryan Ferry Extended Versions (& Single Edits)
http://vivaroxymusic.com/albums_106.php

Bryan Ferry Non Album Tracks
http://vivaroxymusic.com/albums_104.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm 

There is a great Disconet Remix of Limbo. I picked it up on vinyl a while ago.
I'm not techy enough to share it.
Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:47 am 

Tryptich wrote:
There is a great Disconet Remix of Limbo. I picked it up on vinyl a while ago.
I'm not techy enough to share it.
Sorry.

Have had a look but not been able to find it either. If anyone has a link then please share as am interested to hear it based on Tryptich's recommendation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 pm 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ann8mb4K4-uXg6EGoX5 ... Q?e=p1pJEf

Limbo Disconet Remix/Edit
Please let me know if I have given everyone full access to my ONE DRIVE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:13 pm 

Interesting tread Triptych. I think there's a big difference between original/edits and original/extended mixes. I think IYLSE and DWL fall in to the former where the edits suffer every bit as much as the single edit of Hard Rain. The cuts can be pretty brutal. I've always loved IYLSE, mainly for Dave Gilmour's outstanding guitar but it becomes pretty mundane in the context of the cut-down version.
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the more recent mixes. When they barely resemble the original they leave me a bit cold, although there have been exceptions. Roxy's reworking of Angel Eyes was a masterstroke as a single (although I prefer the original when listening to the album) and Manifesto (Remake) / Trash 2 were similarly re-imagined to great effect. Of BF's mixes, I can take or leave most of them but for me The Right Stuff really stands head and shoulders above the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:01 am 

Tryptich wrote:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ann8mb4K4-uXg6EGoX5GPN-hF6xoyQ?e=p1pJEf

Limbo Disconet Remix/Edit
Please let me know if I have given everyone full access to my ONE DRIVE!!!!

Many thanks Tryptich, have had a listen and enjoyed it. There are quite a few remixes of Limbo, I remember picking up a lovely cardboard box release of the single many years ago that has a few of them on it, must give them a listen again.

I think a lot of the recent remixes have been less to do with BF and more to do with his sons getting their favourite DJ's involved, hence why they're less likely to appeal to older fans. Fred Falkes wonderful remix of YCD aside, they haven't been much to my liking either but perhaps I haven't given them enough of a chance. I remember disliking the Rollo & Bliss mix of Love Is the Drug when it came out in the mid-90's, for instance, but then growing to like it after several more listens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:06 pm 

I really like the 12 inch 1988 extended version of Let’s Stick Together. Unfortunately it’s not available on Spotify. I still fave the original vinyl but nothing to play it on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm 
Site Owner

Jerry Nunn wrote:
I really like the 12 inch 1988 extended version of Let’s Stick Together. Unfortunately it’s not available on Spotify. I still fave the original vinyl but nothing to play it on.

Another reason why I just don't use streaming services. I have that version transferred from Vinyl to CD

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:42 pm 

Two of my favourites!

The Same Old Scene (remix DMC Steve Anderson)

https://youtu.be/jm1MPb7ggxU

The Right Stuff (12" Dance Mix)

https://youtu.be/Tmg6FXpxLoc

8-)