VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Albums To Be Released On Vinyl
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 am 

The albums arrived on release day (Friday), but a heavy weekend of live music (remember that? lol) has prevented me from listening yet. However, some here may be interested in a "cosmetic" summary...

It would probably take a more artistic eye than either of my ageing peepers to discern any significant difference in the cover art. Four remain in regular single covers, while ATAP and TBSB are in gatefolds, like the original issues.

There are some changes to the centre labels of the first three albums (most notably to ATAP, which no longer has the black & grey silhouette of BF's profile) and all six now have printed inner sleeves (the first three bear only the song titles/composers, while the later trio are replicas of the originals).

The discs were not in the inner sleeves, but were instead protected by plain black poly-lined inners (as a result of criticism of some of the Roxy vinyl reissues, I suspect).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 pm 

Thanks, Smudge. I , for one , am intrigued .
I briefly eyeballed the remasters in the Fopp store in Covent Garden, and thought they looked a bit off to my eyes - any enhancement must be in the colours used which appeared darker than on the originals.
The outer sleeve quality will be different , no doubt.

I'll maybe pick up one or two copies when my partner is out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:19 pm 

'Boys and Girls' has charted at 38 in the vinyl chart.
https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/v ... ums-chart/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:09 am 

I bought the re-mastered “These Foolish Things”. The record came in a black paper inner sleeve and I guess , optional to use, a card sleeve, colour to match the original front cover with the track listing tastefully printed on both sides. It impressed this obsessive , whether you can call it enhanced is a debate-able point. I have no regrets.
The record sounds great but so does my original copy , and I sense I can hear the re-master working better now on the background vocals and piano. Whether that is wishful hearing or not, I don’t know.

Fopp in Covent Garden are offering the whole set for £115 ( 6 for the price of 5 @£23 each).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:41 am 

Quote:
the track listing tastefully printed on both sides

I guess my inner completeist is officially dead as I can't ever see me parting with any of my now pension to buy these. What a missed opportunity (again!). All the cover shoot out-takes that could've been used (by way of example) and what do the BF "overseen" enhancements afford us? An extra track listing! To proclaim it the way it was is disappointing and , frankly, disingenuous. Must've taken BF, ooh, seconds!

I suppose there's a niche market for these, but to the extent they're targeted at fans, I think the lacklustre effort is something of an exploitative new low.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:23 pm 

I was a bit late to Bryan and Roxy.I was aware of 'Hard Rain' and loved it at age 10 ( but didn't pick up who it was by), but it was really 'Let's Stick Together' that brought me into the fold. Bryan looked like a cross between Clark Gable and Tony Stark in that video. I just thought he looked so cool and the music was brilliant.
I bought a copy of ' In Your Mind' at half price of a classmate and worked my way through the back catalogue in tapes.
I've been very pleased with the LP reissues (and the download codes).Maybe I am a bit of a collector but it is great to have my favourite artist's seminal albums in pristine condition and sounding great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:17 pm 

I’ve bought 2 more of these , I had been resisting and playing my old copies, but , resistance is futile. They sound as they did when I was a teenager.
One thing that has improved in 45 plus years is the quality of the cover presentation, which I will fetish over in my own time , whilst listening to the remastering … I am definitely , wishfully , hearing a deeper sound. And no classic vinyl crackles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:52 am 

4 in. I knew that once I started buying these I had started something I could not easily control.
All great listens and a reminder , if any where needed, of Ferry’s prolific talent and industry back then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:49 pm 

If anyone here was waiting for a cheaper dip in the vinyl waters, they may care to check out HMV online at https://store.hmv.com/

If you use the code FLASH50 at checkout you can get four of the BF reissues at half price (£12.50 each instead of £25). The discount applies to TFT, ATAP, IYM and TBSB (I'm guessing that LST and BAG may have been better sellers for HMV).

The discount code has been around for a while, though, so best not to ponder the offer for too long! ;)