VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mamouna/Horoscope Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:25 am 

I am really excited to listen to Horoscope and all the documents of Bryan's song "overkill" time (64 tracks ;) ). But I still don't know if it is published worldwide or not? Otherwise I'd have to order it in UK asap. Any information, John 8-) ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:13 am 

Don't be angry with me, but I'm not very happy about this CD announcement..

I've already given up hope for a 9th Roxy album, but I can remember very well that Phil once said about a year ago that he had worked on 11 new Bryan songs. In another interview at that time Neil Jason also reported new songs. If my memory is correct (????) Johnny Marr was also involved in the recordings ....

Where are these songs??? Is it really because Bryan can't write lyrics anymore (as Phil once said)...

Old recordings from 1988 to 1994 are nice but I won't buy them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:30 am 

Fanatical Fandangoists,
Much has happened whilst W2 has been travelling the world.
Il est vraiment content that this masterpiece is being given the ‘special’ treatment.
It surely contains some of our hero’s finest solo compositions many of which are never far from Windswept’s virtual turntable.
‘The Only Face’ is one of W2’s favourite all time chansons. Who could ever forget our hero’s haunting ode to Greta Garbo ? Mark you, the best version is to be found on Jools Holland’s ‘Small World Big Band Vol2 Album’. With Jools tinkling the ivories and our hero whipping out his pocket rocket - this is a peerless performance and is essential listening for every thinking Ferryista !
Mais il y a tellement de morceaux fabuleux sur cet album qu’il est tres difficile d’en choisir un.
Although W2 wishes all Ferryistas well who participate he won’t be putting his own hands in his pocket on this occasion as he already has everything featured.
On another positive note fanatics will be pleased to know that our hero looks to be in great form. Some weeks ago W2 was dining at ‘The River Cafe’ when he happened along.
Salutations a tous et bon Mamouna,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:36 am 

Uwe wrote:
I've already given up hope for a 9th Roxy album, but I can remember very well that Phil once said about a year ago that he had worked on 11 new Bryan songs. In another interview at that time Neil Jason also reported new songs. If my memory is correct (????) Johnny Marr was also involved in the recordings ....

Where are these songs??? Is it really because Bryan can't write lyrics anymore (as Phil once said)...

A word about Johnny Marr. There is no sensation about him taking part on a BF solo album. He has been featuring on several of BF`s albums through the years, and he is, as far as I see it, no warranty for quality.

In an recent video interview with Phil last year, he mentioned that he had been recording with Bryan, but that Bryan probably had rubbed it all off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:23 pm 

On another positive note fanatics will be pleased to know that our hero looks to be in great form. Some weeks ago W2 was dining at ‘The River Cafe’ when he happened along.

Very good! Thanks to Windswept for a sign of life from our hero. Hope that both of them had a fantastic diner ;) . "The River Café" sounds like an album from another northern lad, Chris Rea (whom I like very much 8-)) .

Old recordings from 1988 to 1994 are nice but I won't buy them.

I'm not angry at you, Uwe, but I think you always have to bear in mind that our hero has given us more than half a century of music from very good to absolutely fantastic. It could have been more, of course, but isn't that always the case ;) ?.

A lot of musicians stopped their career at an early stage. And how many albums never reached our ears (so far) because they were probably made in heaven (Robert Palmer, David Bowie, Prince, Gerry Rafferty, Glenn Frey, David Crosby - not to mention B. Holly, J. Hendrix, J. Morrison, J. Joplin, Whitney and all the others ...).

What I wanted to say: You don't have to buy every remixed or enhanced album but don't be unjust to Bryan - at almost 78 ;) . And come on, the mysterious "Horoscope" album being published - wow 8-) !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:12 pm 

@pianoman

You are absolutely right about the great Bryan's past. Bryan ist the best one.

As for the present, I'm disappointed. I would have wished for an end to his career with a great farewell album instead of digging out any songs from the bottom drawer.

But not every wish is fulfilled in life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:49 pm 

I still hope for "the great farewell album" as you do, Uwe. This is a bonus release as far as I'm concerned, a welcome look at the DNA of what was to eventually to be released as the Mamouna album.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:12 pm 

Don’t worry, there will never be a new RM album. And based on Bry’s latest output, it’s better that way.
BTW, the excitement overhere about that Mamouna/Horoscope release is quite amazing. Such a boring period...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:15 pm 

Cher W2, that was great news that our hero looked to be in good shape. Thanks for sharing that. Did you approach the maestro and said thank you for the music?
I plan to spend the winter in Tokyo. The best part of the 90s I lived there. Thus I associate Mamouna with Tokyo. I think it was in 95 I attended three BF concerts in one week. If I remember right, he played only one song from Mamouna, Painted smile. I also have My only face as an all time favourite, still I think that Mamouna firts of all is a masterpiece as a whole.
To le freak; interesting that you mentioned Ingemar Bergman and so on, but to tell the truth, it doesnt´t make any sense to me, even though that BF often draws inspiration from the world of cinema.
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:41 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Although W2 wishes all Ferryistas well who participate he won’t be putting his own hands in his pocket on this occasion as he already has everything featured.
W2

I'm obviously aware that Horoscope was leaked years ago but does your post above indicate that the third disc is also doing the rounds on fan circles? It is the biggest reason for me being excited about this but if fans have already heard it then it might indicate that this release is more of a back saving exercise than anything else.

It also makes even less sense why they didn't include additional audio-visual content to lure in those who already have everything else. I know the official video's for this album are already widely available but it still would have been nice to see remastered versions of those included. Mamouna to me always felt like BF's best effort at a concept album and in that sense I think all these various elements should be included to give the audience a fuller insight into the concept he was aiming for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next