VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ATAP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:40 pm 

Apologies all, but I can’t find the recent threads on this topic.

I just wanted to concur warmly with the recent praise for this album and the RAH live album in which the tracks feature heavily.

In retrospect I think ATAP is a magnificent record. The song selection may be slightly suspect but the singing, playing and orchestrations are (IMHO) fantastic. The voice is incredible; I think his best ever. But it’s also clear that they took the project really seriously and worked hard on it. I’m finding much more in it than I did at the time.

In particular the arrangement of “Smoke gets in your eyes” is beautiful and TGPT’s drumming is faultless. Also really like the title track. He had such a gift when still writing full lyrics. I remember as a spotty teenager being captivated by the couplet: “I knew there’d be times like this when I’d sit at home and reminisce”. So the character knows that in the future he would sit and look back. Very effective and affecting!

Cheers

Post subject: Re: ATAP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:59 pm 

I’d agree that I find this album more captivating than when I was a mere adolescent back in 1974. The choice of songs is certainly eclectic , The InCrowd thrills with its opening notes, Smoke’s classy saxophone solo, Walk a Mile’s channeling Elvis’ DNA , and Ferry’s vocals simply astound on Funny How Time Slips Away.
You Are My Sunshine, which I didn’t care much for at the time, has transformed with my maturity and my years.
Side 2 starts boldly. Who but Ferry could take on Sam Cooke and not be merely a Sam Cooke impersonator? Another Dylan cover follows, not as thrilling as A Hard Rain, but he then compensates with an energy boosting Fingerpoppin’.
And the last cover song is Help Me Make it Through the Night , a more modern take on a country standard , before Ferry’s own lyricism is brought to the fore in the title track.
Superb work, overall.

My only gripe might be the Tux, the swimming pool and the cigarette.