VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mamouna Horoscope Deluxe - upcoming release
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:26 am 
Site Owner

The Jools Holland version info:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/songs_508.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:14 pm 
Site Owner

I received an advanced copy of this release when I was in London on Monday.

the packaging is first class.

The 'Sketches Disc' will be of most interest to fans. each track has some information like working titles. Mamouna had a working title of 'Friday'

The track Robot is what ended up as 'One Night Stand on Avonmore.

Horoscope is been mastered form the original digital masters and sounds the way it was meant to be as the bootleg that was out at one time came from a fast running cassette. It's great to hear it now at the right speed and pitch.

An interesting thing is that both the CD & Vinyl have Horoscope as the lead album and not Mamouna.

The highlight for me is the Piano/Vocal of Your Painted Smile.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:56 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I received an advanced copy of this release when I was in London on Monday.

the packaging is first class.

The 'Sketches Disc' will be of most interest to fans. each track has some information like working titles. Mamouna had a working title of 'Friday'

The track Robot is what ended up as 'One Night Stand on Avonmore.

Horoscope is been mastered form the original digital masters and sounds the way it was meant to be as the bootleg that was out at one time came from a fast running cassette. It's great to hear it now at the right speed and pitch.

An interesting thing is that both the CD & Vinyl have Horoscope as the lead album and not Mamouna.

The highlight for me is the Piano/Vocal of Your Painted Smile.

J.O'B.

Thanks for this John - really looking forward to receiving my copies.
Looking forward to the Sketches CD and hearing Horoscope as it was originally meant to be heard.
Also looking forward to hearing Mamouna on vinyl as it’s one of the Bryan albums that I don’t have on vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:52 am 

Anyone watched the new video for Mamouna on the BF YouTube channel?
At first I thought it was just going to be a remastered video of the original but it seems to be re-edited with new footage. I’m not sure if there was actually an alternate Mamouna video or if this has been done specifically for this release?

https://youtu.be/dDD1Ry4Fmco?si=OIMKRS2aKbRsX1T0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:25 pm 

Some thoughts on this release - I'd forgotten how much I liked most of Mamouna - there are a few songs which for me are ( have always been ) uninspiring .. Gemini Moon , NYC and Wildcat Days all seem to lack form and any tension .. But the rest still sound great - I think most of the album is exquisite - especially The Only Face , Which Way To Turn and A Chain Reaction.
Horoscope, however is a different kettle of fish - I find it strange that it's being referred to as a 'lost album" I can't imagine this ever being released as a complete piece of work ... surely all of the tracks in this section are also sketches !? They sound basic / unfinished / half produced and at times shrill..
It's also strange that there are no background sketches or alternate versions of 'Don't Want To Know', 'Which Way To Turn' or 'A Chain reaction' - these songs seem to be important to the essence of Mamouna.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:00 pm 

Here's a review by Flood Magazine:

https://floodmagazine.com/149193/bryan- ... e-reissue/

I received my copy on Friday and was really stunned by its fantastic artwork. 23 Euros for this are somehow a bargain regarding Bryan's / Roxy's usual prices (3CD box).

Although I'm not a great Mamouna fan (except from the title track that has a real song structure) I was absolutely curious how Bryan spent 7 years to finish this album. Horoscope? I like the stripped down songs more than the overloaded Mamouna versions. But I prefer Loop De Li on Avonmore to the raw version. Mother Of Pearl is a finger exercise by Bryan: Too long and not really necessary ...

The sketches are interesting but I have to listen to it again several times.

My thoughts: In the years after Bete Noir, Bryan wrote the last self-penned songs of his career. Either they were published on Mamouna, on Frantic, on Olympia or on Avonmore. I doubt that there is more to come ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:29 pm 

Dear Pianoman, that's how it is. Nothing more will come. As Phil said about 10 years ago: Bryan can't write lyrics anymore.
That's why there are only remastered albums... It's a shame that Bryan does something like that... he doesn't need it...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:25 pm 

Oh, Gardner , unfinished! , shrill !
I’m thoroughly enjoying my first listen today.
As an aside , my ‘go to , record store in London , Sister Ray, were still waiting for the CD delivery - Tuesday or Wednesday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:53 am 

What I am thinking about is the lack of news from Bryan. I hope he is well because normally he would give some interviews on the occasion of a new record (set).

It would be very interesting to hear what he says to the process of producing an album from Horoscope to Mamouna over a period of seven years with Taxi inbetween.

PS: Maybe he is just enjoying his retirement ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:41 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Oh, Gardner , unfinished! , shrill !
I’m thoroughly enjoying my first listen today.
As an aside , my ‘go to , record store in London , Sister Ray, were still waiting for the CD delivery - Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sorry for being so harsh - but I'd have been horrified if Horoscope was released as is .. the production is unfinished... Imagine waiting years for a new album.. for it to arrive with a cover of MOP on it... I'm glad it was aborted and more time was spent - IMO Mamouna is definitely an improvement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next