VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mamouna Horoscope Deluxe - upcoming release
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:29 pm 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/br ... na-deluxe/

A positive review on Pitchfork.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:12 am 

@UKRichard

I'm just now getting around to answering you. My father died a few days ago.

It's my opinion, but it doesn't have to be representative of other BF fans. I think he has lost his voice. Not only can he no longer sing certain notes, but it has become brittle and quiet. Without the great performance of his background, you would hardly notice the singing. I was in London 2022. Without the background, his voice would have been lost in the big hall. Like at the performances in 2017 or (2018?) Night of The Proms, where he had to accept boos because he could hardly be heard at all.

I don't expect anything more from Bryan. And that's just as well. But he will always remain in my heart the greatest of all musical artists.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:36 pm 

Dear Uwe,

first of all: Herzliches Beileid zum Tode deines Vaters!

You don't want any more new (vocal) recordings from our hero, Bryan Ferry. I say: On the contrary - I hope there will be some new songs from him. The Love Letters EP is an example how they could sound. Why not? Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Paolo Conte - they all have/had mature voices and publish(ed) songs I wouldn't want to miss.

- pianoman -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:16 am 

Totally agree with Uwe.
BTW, this whole fuss about that Mamouna/Horoscope release, it’s a mystery to me. A mediocre album from the lost 90’s, Bryan’s all time low (w Taxi, Mamouna, ATGB).
2023 slips away, regrettably without anniversary editions of FYP / Stranded.
It’s a shame. Roxy rule okay!?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:21 pm 

@Sentimental Fool
Thank you for your consent.
I also found the period after the Roxy Reunion Tour in 2001 very worrying.

They entered the studio in 2005 and produced more than 12 new songs. These never saw the light of day because they didn't think the quality of the songs was good enough.

O.K., I have to accept it.

The fact that Bryan then released a Dylan cover album in 2007 and accompanied the whole thing with his worst tour of all time was completely incomprehensible to me. An album that wasn`t moderately successful musically and in terms of sales

Then it would be better to have a new Roxy album that might not have reached the quality of Avalon.

The Stones' new album doesn't consist entirely of just great songs. But there are 2-3 songs on there that move my heart. For that reason alone it was worth buying the album.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:05 pm 

They say all roads lead to Rome, all that is except here where all roads lead to Roxy's aborted 2005 album. It's like watching Groundhog Day on an endless loop.

So the Dylanesque album "wasn`t moderately successful musically and in terms of sales" - OK, I know this is 2023 where it seems pretty acceptable to parade all manner of opinion as fact, but unfashionable though it may be, the facts are Dylanesque outsold any of the BF albums that have come since and achieved a reasonably respectable no.5 on the UK album chart: his best chart placing at the time for14 years and again, something he hasn't bettered since.

Of course, opinion of the accompanying tour is rather more subjective but I doubt too many others would subscribe to the view it was "his worst tour of all time". His band at the time was exceptional and I remember the tour with a great deal of fondness for several parts of the set list, not least a great pair from TBSB, a truly spellbinding MYFML and outstanding renditions of AATW.

And with that we can return to the principle of never letting facts get in the way of a good story

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:19 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
They say all roads lead to Rome, all that is except here where all roads lead to Roxy's aborted 2005 album. It's like watching Groundhog Day on an endless loop…….

And with that we can return to the principle of never letting facts get in the way of a good story

Hipsters,
Bravo to UKRichard for setting the record straight.
W2 wants you to know that you are not alone in finding this endless negativity fatiguant sans cesse.
This assertion that nothing good ever happened after the supposedly aborted 2005 album is for musical flat earthers.
We have had so much to enjoy.
Dylanesque was a fine album that showcased our hero’s life long appreciation of Bob and the tour was nothing short of fabulous !
Salutations a tous meme les terriens plat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:22 am 

@UKRichard & Windswept2

As I already wrote, my personal opinion is not representative of other BF admirers... and I really don't want to spoil your positive mood about the Dylanesque album and the accompanying tour.

I was on this tour at the CCH in Hamburg. There were more people at the beer stand far from the stage than in the concert hall itself. The general tenor was: what kind of crap is Bryan doing today?

Everyone has their own personal opinion on things and of course I respect your opinion. And that's exactly how it should be, right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:54 am 

I would like to expressly thank everyone who has read my posts here or who has replied to me all over the time.

Yes, I don't expect anything new from Bryan or Roxy (by this I don't mean remastered albums).

I wrote everything that came to mind.

Thank you John for allowing all of my posts to find a place here.

It was really a great honor and time for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:43 pm 

So many things to sift through .. I've often had an outburst about the voice issue .. then went to a gig and been pleasantly surprised - maybe it's the atmosphere and being in the room .. I've never been a Dylanesque fan but enjoyed the tour ....One thing that's really surprised me is (most of ) the original Mamouna album - I'd kinda let it slip in my mind but re-listening to it has proved a worthwhile experience - it really hasn't aged ... and sounds better than before ..I think it fits into present times more than the mid nineties .. I can see why some reviews of the deluxe version have been so favourable. I'd say out of all the self penned Ferry albums ... Boys and Girls and Mamouna are the strongest ... Although 'I Thought' and 'Reason or Rhyme' are still two of the best songs he's ever made with or without Roxy .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next