VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Will We Ever Fandango Again ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:15 am 

Do we really think Bryan would ever write an autobiography? I could see him accepting an advance from a publisher only to have to give it back when years later he couldn't even come up with a title. Seriously though he strikes me as being one of the most private of people and however much we might like to read it I can't see him wanting to make his personal life and various fallings out with musicians and band mates over the years a matter for public consumption.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:57 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Do we really think Bryan would ever write an autobiography? I could see him accepting an advance from a publisher only to have to give it back when years later he couldn't even come up with a title.

That brings to mind the 'coffee table book' that he was reported to have signed up
to a number of years ago. Came to nowt! Thank goodness Jocelyn has filled a void at least as far as a lush record of live performances is concerned. Maybe she should do a book deal with him?! ;) :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:03 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Do we really think Bryan would ever write an autobiography? I could see him accepting an advance from a publisher only to have to give it back when years later he couldn't even come up with a title. Seriously though he strikes me as being one of the most private of people and however much we might like to read it I can't see him wanting to make his personal life and various fallings out with musicians and band mates over the years a matter for public consumption.

I agree I certainly don’t think we’ll see an autobiography from Bryan and I don’t think it’s something he would ever entertain.
I also don’t think it would be a huge seller as he’s not the type of person to drink a bottle of whisky after a show and then throw a tv out of the hotel window!
As interesting as it would be to us fans I don’t think there would be a wide enough appeal out there for people to read about his life.
I’ve read autobiographies of artists that, whilst I might not be a huge fan of their music, their colourful lifestyle has made me want to read it.

What I think would be great would be a coffee table book going through each album with pictures and what not with some notes from Bryan about the making of the album and the tour etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:34 pm 

Scott wrote:
True2Life wrote:

I agree I certainly don’t think we’ll see an autobiography from Bryan and I don’t think it’s something he would ever entertain.
I also don’t think it would be a huge seller as he’s not the type of person to drink a bottle of whisky after a show and then throw a tv out of the hotel window!
As interesting as it would be to us fans I don’t think there would be a wide enough appeal out there for people to read about his life.
I’ve read autobiographies of artists that, whilst I might not be a huge fan of their music, their colourful lifestyle has made me want to read it.

What I think would be great would be a coffee table book going through each album with pictures and what not with some notes from Bryan about the making of the album and the tour etc.

Mes Amis,
W2 is not so negative about the possibilities of a biography.
There are multiple examples of very private artists and public figures who publish - auto or otherwise.
The beauty of an autobiography is that you determine the content and the motivation for writing it is very often much more about legacy than it is about money.
Bryan’s career has now spanned six decades. He has worked with more ‘star’ musicians than just about anybody else and his music has straddled multiple genres with his tours seeing him circumnavigating the globe on numerous occasions. There is much to tell .
Of course, publishers push for the sensational but somebody like Bryan is in a powerful position to resist. That said there are tasteful ways of handling most things.
In terms of sales, W2 has to respectfully disagree with the great Scott.
Bryan has millions of fans worldwide and if only a small proportion bought it, bestsellerdom would be assured.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:26 pm 

pianoman wrote:
It seems to be possible, Windswept, that we will never fandango again.

For weeks nobody posted anything in this forum. A strange situation. But members get older, less interested and so much has already been written over the last years. Maybe everything is said and done ...

I think so too, these last weeks considered. As you said, members get older too. Fans get older all over the music scene, Dylan fans, Stones fans...; -only acts with an allure for new generations will still be active. Think of the Stones fanbase; I must admit I`m surprised that many now in their 70s still hang on in there. The 40- somethings seem to have taken over.

However, still there`s jazz to be investigated, Miles Davis` "Kind of Blue" is fine (a classic), plus old movie soundtracks. The key word is "-relaxing".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:22 pm 

Interesting comment from Phil regarding Bryan’s current work in the Times interview from Monday 11/3. I read it on Phil’s instagram page and it maybe on Facebook as well.

“He (BF) is doing some weird and wonderful stuff at the moment that I hope he is brave enough to put out”.

Roxy and Phil are also featured in the upcoming Mojo magazine which is coming out next week, so maybe more info there.

I like the sound of this weird and wonderful stuff and should dovetail nicely with the recent experimental AM/PM album. Really looking forward to seeing this live in Soho on Friday but I don’t expect Bryan to pop by!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 pm 

Almost two years now that Bryan published his lasts four cover songs digitally. Hopes for a physical release or a whole album have not been fulfilled so far.

I liked 'Love Letters' and I can't believe that these four songs could have been the 'swan songs' of such a great artist ...

BTW: Nothing new from BF in 2023/4, apart from the Mamouna 3 CD set. Will we see anything unexpected in 2024?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:33 pm 
Site Owner

pianoman wrote:
BTW: Nothing new from BF in 2023/4, apart from the Mamouna 3 CD set. Will we see anything unexpected in 2024?

I am pretty sure we will.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:57 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
pianoman wrote:

I am pretty sure we will.

J.O'B.

Hipsters,
The Penshaw Gods are responding but rumours of a gig at South Hylton Club have been hotly denied !
Salutations a tous,
W2