PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 pm 

gracias Juan,
Oscar-Bilbao

Post subject: Re: OLYMPIA LIVE FIRST DATE IN MOSCOW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:52 am 

yeah, - see that...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:50 am 

BF is Moscow brings to mind an entry from the Leo Abrahams Webdiary where he describes playing for "heavy government types" back in December 2006. Here's a brief excerpt from his diary describing the BF private gig:

"we went to Moscow for a private show. This was completely bizarre. Some heavy government–types had hired out a small club and scattered it with a few tables and 20 or so of their closest and apparently most humourless associates. Mild applause greeted each legendary showstopper. The atmosphere was decidedly odd."

But I'm sure the check didn't bounce....

Disclosure: Back during the Frantic tour, Bryan - days before it was to occur - canceled the gig I had tix for in Glenside PA (near Philly) so he could fly to Russia and play a private show for some oligarch willing to pay more than what the Glenside gig was going to offer. I (like many others) had bought my tix months before and felt totally disrespected by BF in the way he bowed to Big Russian Bucks and left a 1000+ fans in the lurch. Yes, ever since I have been a bit questioning of BF's scruples...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:13 am 

When you say that BF left "1000+ fans in the lurch" I assume you are referring to the total amont of fans BF/Roxy have in the USA.

I can understand your disappointment, but if he is being offered a major amount of money to play one gig then why turn it down for a gig in a country that has virtually ignored him from day one?

It's a bit late in the day to try and crack America isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Owner

[quote="Mr. Rifff"]When you say that BF left "1000+ fans in the lurch" I assume you are referring to the total amont of fans BF/Roxy have in the USA.
quote]

This was one show in the middle of the USA dates that got cancelled. I flew from Scotland to go to the dates from 12th - 19th November and had hotels etc booked in Philladelphia for this show. There was no announcement made by BF.com or the information service both run by the same person at the time. It was the venue who contacted the ticket holders at the time.

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_18.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 am 

The Keswick Theatre in Glenside is a high quality venue with a capacity of 1300. The BF show in Nov 2002 was sold out (or darn close) at the time the gig was unexpectedly canceled. As J O'B points out, BF's management offered no info regarding the cancellation and all word came through the theatre's management. In getting my refund from the theatre, I recall communications in which the theatre's operators expressed major anger/dismay over the way that they too had been left in the lurch with no explanation. In interviews given later in 2003 BF made reference to the private Russian gig that he had opted for rather than fulfill his Keswick/Glenside obligation.

The USA is certainly not overflowing with BF fans but he and Roxy still have a rather significant cult following in many (primarily) urban areas. And 1000+ fans were indeed left in the lurch when the Glenside gig was abruptly canceled.