VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ferry Compilation Release in November
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm 

EMI are showing a best of Bryan Ferry release for mid November, a Ferry only compilation or re-hash of previous releases?

Post subject: Re: Ferry Compilation Release in November
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 pm 
Site Owner

Although this is another compilation and no doubt most of us here will have all the material, I am sure it will be made interesting enough for the die hards with some additional unreleased/unseen material.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:45 pm 

From bryanferry.com:

"Andy Williams has made considerable contribrution to his (Bryan`s) new album."

Well, this news are already quite old, but depressing, ennit? It`s quite rude too, considering all the talk of the Roxy album. What`s going on? It more and more looks as there will be no new album of whatever sort this year. Considering a new Bryan solo album, Bryan can record and record as much as he pleases, but is there any record company willing to release it? Think of the Alphaville project. Some weeks ago, recordcollector.com wrote that the new Roxy album is rumoured to be released next year (2010). Too late for my taste, I`d say. Is this just the usual blah-blah-blah, or what are we to expect?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 am 

:?: Surely you mean David Williams?

I think we have to face up to the latest BF album taking president over any possible RM output. If Bryan tours this album which he inevitably will do then I think that puts any RM album out of the window until this time 2010 at the earliest. Still, (sarcastically spaking of course) I think it's high time we were treat to yet another compilation just in time for Christmas. May as well milk it for all it's worth? Minds't you, they could be "classic's" re-recorded?? But then, what's the point?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:50 pm 

Yeah, it`s a shame didn`t got it right this time either, of course it is David Williams. I don`t think the album will be released because the album probably isn`t good enough, if we shall believe the reactions to the short video footage. Do we need more soft funky aloofness with thwangy guitars? No-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:03 am 

I think what we do have to take in to account is Ferry's contract with Virgin, maybe he's as hacked off as we are sometimes with the amount of compilations. Record companies will only release albums according to their schedules regardless of what the artist wants, I remember Bowie having problems with an album called Toy in about 2000 when Virgin wouldn't release it when he wanted due to scheduling issues so maybe much as we like to have a go at Ferry about these things, he is after all an employee of Virgin Records and has to toe the line while he is under contract to them

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 pm 

I honestly don't know if I could take another compilations album :( There would have to be a lot of unreleased material on there to make me buy it. Surely when Bryan signed the contract with Virgin he must have seen if he was obliged to continue to churn out compilations :?: He must know that the his long standing fans would actually prefer new stuff. I read an article ages ago, when the last Roxy/BF compilations were released & it was saying what an easy way to make money,it wasn't fair to the fans plus Roxy/BF had more than their fair share of these albums than any other band!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 am 
Site Owner

I am like most fans here and don't need another compilation album. The one thing about these albums is that fans don't have to buy them therefore they don't have to feel fleeced if they don't want to.

What I am sure will happen with this compilation is that in general it will be aimed at a different market to the die hards who visit the various websites and forums. Having said that I am sure that BF, the record company etc will make sure that this release will include enough with this release to make it very attractive to the die hard fans too.

Like all releases, judgement is best made when the final product is seen/heard.

The thing we all want here is a new album. It will be interesting to see if this album is just a way of raising Ferry's profile again, the lull before the storm maybe.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:33 pm 

The wonderful thing about most of us on this site and others like it is our sheer determind optimism! I'm with you John, still waiting patiently for that new album :?