VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Current Tour.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:24 pm 

Great news from our webmaster about the tour branching out in terms of the Stateside gigs. That is, I think, fantastic news. Firstly, that puts the health scare thing behind me. Not his, mine. Secondly, I see this as Bryan taking the tour to his core fan's in the States that did not get to see the F.Y.P. tour and to that extent, I would expect a great deal of Roxy material, from the F.Y.P. Tour, to be included there, within. Third and lastly (and excitingly) I would not be at all surprised if, after the States, we will now get the Newcastle's, the Glasgow's and the likes, before Christmas. Watch this space.
It is a far better prospect now that there will be a lapse in time beween Edinburgh, the last named British gig, the re-scheduled stuff and the American gig's. If he could fit in Toronto whilst in the States, I think I would dust down the passport for that. Massive Roxy/Ferry fan base in Toronto, especially Burlington and Hamilton. Been there, heard and seen it, or CN it.

Very lastly, I said, when this tour was announced this could finish up a longer tour that the 2001 tour and the sceptics all came out. 52 to beat!! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: The Current Tour.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:54 pm 

Hope you are right about Glasgow. Open air in Edinburgh in September. Has nobody researched Scottish weather!!!!! Rod Stewart got washed out in the same venue in July last year. Bryan loves the Glasgow audience so I'm sure he will add a date at the end of the tour. Fingers crossed anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:50 am 

Jeff Thall was originally named as one of the guitarists for this tour, then Chris Spedding was announced as replacing him for the May & June dates.

The recent (July) Vienna footage still shows Chris in the band, so is he now doing the whole tour or when will the changeover be?

Off to Kew later today and hoping to hear Mr Spedding again!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:36 pm 
Site Owner

Tonight's show at Kew Gardens is Spedding's last one for the Olympia tour. I am not sure who is takig over as both Jeff Thall and Charlotte Hatherley are mentioned in the tour book.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:29 pm 

Given the forestry settings for the outdoor shows in the UK maybe Bryan should have quoted "Tender Is The Night" and called it The Babes In The Wood Tour 2011! Or would that not be PC any more? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:06 pm 

Wasn't Jeff Thall on at the Thetford gig?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:32 pm 

We were at the Westonbirt Arboretum concert last Friday and have to say that it was a really relaxed concert. Bryan was in great form and laughed and joked with the crowd and he got everyone to sing along to " Love is the drug " and " Lets stick together " . He was dancing around as well !! The band were very tight with Neil Hubbard on rhythm guitar. Ollie Thompson was, as ever, amazing. The only small criticism, and as a pro percussion teacher myself I can justify this, is that for most of the concert Tara Ferry looked like a spare part. He didn't play in alot of the songs and when he did play it was just a basic pop beat ( all my 10 yr old pupils can do that ) and he added a few cymbal rolls here and there. I did like the tubular bell in Bitter Sweet however. I appreciate that he has got to learn from Andy Newmark but I do not think he is yet at a level to participate in professional tours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:15 am 

From all the clips Ive seen from the recent Roxy tour and BF's recent solo gigs, Tara Ferry appears pretty redundant/useless. If he wasn't BF's kid there is NO WAY it would be in the band. No way.

BF is so focused on playing with top-notch session players that it is just weird that Tara gets dragged along as a second drummer. Andy N doesn't need the help and Lord knows that TGPT didn't need him on the recent Roxy tour.

DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 am 

Yes DC you are 100% correct !! I was trying to be polite ! Tara looked both bored and uncomfortable ( chewing gum ) throughout the concert and didn't play with any passion. When Bryan introduced the band members , it was noticeable that they all received a resounding cheer except Tara who received muted applause.

I wonder if Tara will be included on the USA tour ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 pm 

Glad this was mentioned about Tara.
I was at Kew and Arboretum and me and mate noticed that Tara didn't smile at all and don't think he wanted to be there!
Don't know why, his Dad was on top form, great music, great nights!

Nick