VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: To the King's Place to see the Emperor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 am 

And so dear readers, at the ever so civilized time of 2.30pm, we assembled at the King's Place to witness The Emperor Himself and Manzo take their places along side everyones' favourite bassman, Guy Pratt, and the other regular musicians of the Not So Silent Movies band.

Resplendent in blue suit and new glasses, Andy entered the fray armed with alto, soprano and trusted oboe. Phil, in casual shirt, opted for the obligatory red firebird and white Strat.

What followed was a treat for all present as this group of highly talented musicians improvised and noodled off one another over the duration of two short and, after the break, one longer silent black and whites.

None of your stand-up-rip-roaring-reed-bustin'-Eddie Rifff-tenor-solos here my friends, this was The Emperor in 'Music for The Senses' mode, and beautiful it was too.

Musical humour was provided, as ever, by Guy Pratt, whose fluid bass playing twice dragged the whole ensemble into 'known' quotations, firstly 'Walk on the Wild Side', then, to everyones' delight (not least Manzo's) 'Love is the Drug'!

At show's end, Andy MacKay, still the grave but approachable academic we know and love, said he'd enjoyed the whole experience, that "...it was fun."

Let's hope they do this again soon. For this was Andy playing more in one gig than you'd see him play in four Roxy gigs back-to-back.

A splendid, splendid experience.

Last edited by Stabbs MacKenzie on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: To the King's Place to see the Emperor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 am 

I second that! Really delightful experience; hope we see its like again.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:34 am 

It was a really fun afternoon: either the music or the films would have stood alone as fine entertainment, but together they were wonderful!

It was great, too, to say hello to some VRM stalwarts, including Stabbs, who was seated next to me for his sins...

The first half (an early Looney Tunes and a Chaplin short entitled "The Cure") lasted a relatively brief 35 mins, but the Keaton half, after the interval, was a good hour in every sense.

The core of the group was cello, violin, clarinets & drums, underpinned by Guy Pratt's irrepressible bass. I'm sure Guy was the catalyst behind Andy & Phil's involvement and I really hope it will be repeated (certainly they all seemed to enjoy themselves).

Andy was in splendid form, coming through loud & clear on both oboe & alto (with a little soprano for seasoning), and it must be hoped that this will encourage him into more frequent live performances.

He told me that he might consider a compilation CD, but I encouraged him to consider the full reissue of Eddie Riff & Resolving Contradictions (maybe even as a double pack?), as many fans don't yet own both on CD (I'm missing the latter, for example).

Or maybe we could even persuade him to consider a budget 4CD box including The Metaphors' CD and Music For The Senses (I've never seen the latter...)? What do we think?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 am 

Smudge,

Following a conscious decision to buy all MacKay stuff whenever seen, whether already owned or not, I might be able to help you with the original cd release of 'Resolving Contradictions'.

Don't hold your breath, but I know I've got two spares.

I'll be in touch.

Stabbs

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:53 pm 

I just want to echo your enthusiasm for the suggested compilations, and thanks for all your posts about Andy over the years.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:44 pm 

I noticed this morning, with great interest, that Mott are touring later on in the year, the original line-up, almost. A.M. came to mind right away and I was wondering, if perhaps, there was a window of opportunity somewhere in there? Not that he needs one, I know. Did I read. or hear somewhere he was on the verge of joining Mott The Hoople at some point?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:47 pm 

Stabbs, you're a gentleman & a scholar! :D I'll await further news from you, thank you.

SB, I'd wondered too about the possibility of Andy doing a cameo at the Mott gig.

I think Andy & Phil have both worked with Japanese rocker Hotei Tomoyasu as well and I noticed that he has a SB Empire gig late in 2013. Wondered if we might see a familiar face or two lurking in the wings... ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 am 

As I have said in the other thread I have booked tickets for Mott. Would be ecstatic if AM was there. His solo on All The Way From Memphis is brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:36 pm 

The album version, or the long version of "all the way" is way up there with with my all time favourite's of the blasts from Andy. A broken reed someone mentions. That, along with the sax on Y.A.P. Am away to listen to both. His baritone sax on Mott's "the golden age of rock and roll" is simple, but brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:52 pm 

"Y.A.P."?????

MacKay/barisax/TGAORR...........you sure?