VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: To The St. Moritz Club To See The Emperor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:28 am 

And so to the St. Moritz Club, Wardour Street, to see the mighty Eddie Rifff's latest outing with The Clang Band.

A tiny basement club, with a stage not unlike a pocket hankerchief, this promised to be even more up close and personal than recent gigs.

Armed with alto and soprano saxes, our hero has settled into his role in this band with consumate ease, blowing some reed busting solos which, once the sound man had remembered that sax in this instance is a lead instrument, delighted the packed audience.

With two guest appearances on vox by Suggs, the second a rip roaring sing-a-long 'Love Is The Drug', this was without doubt the tightest and most accomplished set I have yet seen this band play.

Along with the usual suspects, witnesses also included science fiction writer Robert Grant and film maker Miranda (something?) who is currently making a film about original Roxy bassist Graham Simpson.

Speaking with Andy after the show, he was once again happy and relaxed with the whole scene. Later, a 'tired and emotional' Clive Langer told me that their next outing was on 27th April in "a shit hole in Kings Cross"!!!

This is my third Clang Bash, and I recommend them wholeheartedly.

(Sorry no photo, file too big, apparently?)

Post subject: Re: To The St. Moritz Club To See The Emperor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:10 pm 
Site Owner

I might try and get to the 27th April Gig.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 pm 

Thanks for the review Stabbs, I agree they are well worth seeing and a great live band. I wasn't in London for this gig but will try and get to the next gig at Surya, Pentonville Road - although their website claims it's on Thursday 23rd April! I hope to catch up with others there, although I didn't see anyone at the last gig in Islington.
Miranda Little is the lady behind the Graham Simpson documentary called Mighty and she already has interviews with Andy and Paul in the can. She seems to be working hard to get the film ready this year and deserves all our support for such a worthwhile subject.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:18 pm 

Some great quality film of the occasion courtesy of Miranda at BadLittleCook Productions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkGkNglzqAk

https://youtu.be/KscDNm3EVk4

https://youtu.be/hzOzPptDyBg

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:55 pm 

The clips with Suggs singing LITD are actually quite good. And BF can't complain about someone taking "his" song, because Andy wrote the music for LITD,,,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:35 pm 

It must be hoped that CL's description (even if given while he was "tired & emotional") of the next venue doesn't reach the management there! ;)

The gig was in the band's website yesterday, but not the venue's, but the latter has confirmed by e-mail that the correct date is Thur 23rd April.

With luck, I'll finally get to hear them live at the fifth attempt! Previous gigs, all close enough to my home to make missing them all the more annoying, have clashed with three other events for which I already had tickets, then one bout of illness! :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:14 am 

23rd it is then; tickets secured, new hat obtained, expectations running high, excitement levels peaking!

Thank you for the clarification Smudge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:56 pm 

All part of the service, Stabbs! ;)

Will look forward to finally hearing the Clangers in the flesh and to saying hello again to you and other followers of The Emperor (you & I managed a quick chat over a pint in the Dublin Castle before the debut gig, but it was a late starter and I had to scuttle off across the road to the Bernie Marsden gig for which I'd had a ticket for months...).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:02 pm 

Wtf. Jealous. I missed this...completely off my radar for some reason.
I'm so pleased the Emperor nailed it. But having Roxy mega fan Suggs (national treasure # 326) sing LITD with the Emperor.....That's a 'go to 11' experience.
I'm so pleased some of us got to see it!