VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: And so to The Islington (again)..........
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:52 am 

.......to see our hero take part in The Clang Band's album launch. Flanked by a very talented female Baritone saxist (style wise think Davey Payne) Andy played on all but the last number of the band's fifty-five minute set which, as tradition demands, included the usual cameo from the never knowingly under 'refreshed' Suggs!

Loud, tight and clearly well rehearsed, The Clang Band were on top form, with many people, myself included, saying it was the best they'd seen them.

Likewise, The Emperor Himself who played four spine tingling solos that were reminiscent of Roxy in their pomp. As friend and fellow forumeer Smudge so eloquently observed, "He might not blow much, but when he blows like that I'm fourteen all over again!"

Now the apprehensive wait for news of the next appearance?!?!

(Big shout out to my new friend Riddell who coached it down from Birmingham just to see this gig! Respect mate).

Post subject: Re: And so to The Islington (again)..........
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:39 am 

Nice to see Stabbs again and I would echo his comments about this short, but fun gig.

The band was louder and tighter than at previous gigs; quite the best I've heard from them. Some nice baritone sax from Cath Roberts to complement Andy's iconic alto; hopefully he'll guest with the band again.

I pinched his setlist at the end and, given that it was a well attended (for a small room) album launch gig, it was surprising that the band did not return for it's proposed/scheduled encore. No Roxy in the list, so no need for Suggs to forget the lyrics to Love Is The Drug this time! :lol:

Suggs' sole cameo was in the middle of the set (a fine vocal on Had A Nice Night), although he remained in circulation for the rest of the proceedings.

Andy made a fairly prompt discreet exit, but I had a brief chat with his charming wife, so I'm sure he'll be aware how treasured his occasional live appearances are. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 am 

Sorry for late post, been away again!

I felt a disappointed that the set was so short, but man was it good, defo the best of the few I've seen, and Andy was at his brilliant best. Loved the bari as well, nice contrast.

So which one of you was Smudge and which one Stabbs? If I know what you look like I can check you out at a future gig? If there is another? :cry:

I understand Mr. MacKay is unavailable for The Clang's support slot for Madness at the O2 in December, can't imagine Suggs appearing with the warm up either, can you? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:36 pm 

So which one of you was Smudge and which one Stabbs? If I know what you look like I can check you out at a future gig? If there is another?

I was dressed in black: Country Life t-shirt and Roxy 2001 tour baseball cap, among other things. I had a LP sized bag slung over one shoulder too.

If you think you can pick me out next time (and I think Andy will do a few more guest spots, from what I could glean...), Studebaker, do introduce yourself. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:13 am 

STUDEBAKER wrote:
So which one of you was Smudge and which one Stabbs? If I know what you look like I can check you out at a future gig?

Overcoat, nice bit of zhuzh, combed back hair and pointed sideburns; typical sax player really :lol: :lol: :lol: !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:16 am 

Overcoat, nice bit of zhuzh, combed back hair and pointed sideburns; typical sax player really :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Poser you mean? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 am 

Guilty as charged m' lud!!!

As they said of early Roxy, style over substance, that's me ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:40 am 

Errr.....when did this become a dating site?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:07 pm 

TOUCHÉ :lol: ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:42 pm 

Not sure any of us is looking for a date, Rendezvous; a Roxy chat over a beer at the bar sounds a more likely plan. ;)