VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: And so to Limehouse.....
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 am 

…..to see the Emperor Himself.

Troxy, a beautiful Art Deco theatre in Limehouse, East London, played host last night to a preview of Andy's 3 PSALMS as part of the BBC's Friday Night Is Music Night.

Present to pay homage and to be warmly greeted by Andy were Ivor Canning, Jo & Lee Sullivan, Princess Alison and myself.

A smorgasbord of mostly 'show tunes' ( :? ) was punctuated by two exquisite numbers by soul diva Madeline Bell before, in the second half, up stepped Andy and Phil Manzanera to perform 'Praise', with the BBC concert orchestra, from the forthcoming album.

What followed was a righteous layering of sounds, both instrumental and vocal, that delighted and whetted the appetite for November's release.

Andy's playing was strong and fluent, soaring above everything melodiously, I just wish the whole thing had been longer.

The highlight for me, however, was the beaming smile that Andy gave Phil halfway through the piece that simply said, "YES! This really works and is good."

And believe me, it was.

The Emperor Himself is back, long may he reign!

Post subject: Re: And so to Limehouse.....
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:43 pm 

Glad it was well received Stabbs. :)

I bet a whole lot of work went into those 7 mins; I'd been advised that Andy's music probably wouldn't run to more than 10 mins maximum, so the near £30 ticket price, with nothing else to tweak my interest, seemed steep (many of these BBC productions are free of charge, I'm told).

I shall fritter the saving on the CD and vinyl instead, both of which can be pre-ordered from Amazon (and, doubtless, elsewhere):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... 1OLE&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... 1OLE&psc=1

See you at the QEH in November!