VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bitter- Sweet Forum Member Reviews
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:50 am 
Site Owner

Now that the new album is out, it would be interesting to see some reviews from the forum members.

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Bitter- Sweet Forum Member Reviews
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm 

I would be interested to know which tracks - in some form or other - are leftovers from 'The Jazz Age' sessions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:03 pm 

Beautiful.Majestic and dark. So far stand out tracks for me are 'New Town', 'While My Heart Is Still Beating'(I prefer it to the 'Avalon' version) 'Limbo'( I always felt this was a stand out track on 'Bete Noire' but that the single version was let down by removing all the quirkiness and adding too strong a drum track) and 'Chance Meeting'.As with all things Ferry, my choices will change as I listen to the album more and more.

Some of the tracks are almost sinister in their atmosphere and would fit with imagery from Bela Lugosi's 'Dracula'. I can see why 'Sign Of The Times' has no vocal track but it is extremely interesting and engaging.
Bryan seems very comfortable with the vocals and very much works within his new range. There is no sense of strain. The musicianship is truly excellent- I'm a big Enrico Tamasso fan.
A beautiful,beautiful album.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:42 pm 

Not bought the album yet but have heard all of Boys and Girls and snippets of the likes of New Town, both of which have really piqued my interest. Must be nearly 30 years since Ferry performed the latter - one of my faves and delighted its been revisited.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:26 pm 

Discerning Hipsters,
The ever tasteful 'Manifesto' has nailed it. This is an absolute masterpiece and any self respecting Ferryista who hasn't already got this in their collection should pull their forelock in shame !
The whole production is just sublime. The arrangements and musicianship are off the richter scale.
There isn't a bad track on it but for Windswept, particular standouts include: 'Reason Or Rhyme' (the best version yet), 'New Town' (boy is it dark),Limbo (the instrumental take is magnificent),'Bitter-Sweet (the song was written for this treatment) and 'Zamba' (a perfect interpretation).
Of course, this band comprises some of the best musicians around - any genre - and the whole thing both takes you back and moves you forward at the same time.
To top it all off it is beautifully packaged with great sleeve notes by Simon Morrison who explains the music in a very emotive fashion.
Windswept could go on and on. The LP is just magnificent and what a testimony to creativity.
It's such a privilege to follow his career - W2 will be playing this incessantly.
Salutations a tous and bravo a Bryan.
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:59 pm 

A really nice and fine album.

Personally, Boys and Girls is outstanding.

Much better than the Jazz Album in 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:18 pm 

Even for a Brymoaner like myself this album has it's moments ... But for me it will never capture the excitement I felt when I first heard the Post Modern shenanigans of ' The Jazz Age ' the original deep and jolly jape which looked backwards to look forward. Some of the songs on Bitter Sweet do seem as if they were written for this other time and place .. A mischievous 'New Town' still kicks it's height, 'Chance Meeting' is as dark as a 4:00 am encounter in a back room in the Eldorado and a beautiful and forlorn 'Boys and Girls' emerges from the fog like a forbidden Pleasure boat in the port of Hamburg ... However,I can't help thinking that for all it's moments this album also risks becoming another "Lets Stick Together" an album of Roxy songs which became B sides which became bits and pieces which were found lying around on the Cutting room floor ..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:33 pm 

This record is full of surprises, both in the arrangements and in mood and texture but for me it’s Ferry’s vocals that stand out... along with the musicianship. An intimate and rewarding piece for all of us.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:41 am 

Gardner wrote:
Even for a Brymoaner like myself this album has it's moments ...... However,I can't help thinking that for all it's moments this album also risks becoming another "Lets Stick Together" an album of Roxy songs which became B sides which became bits and pieces which were found lying around on the Cutting room floor ..

Hipsters & Fellow Arbiters Of Good Taste,

Whilst W2 loves Le jardiniere’s appreciation of individual tracks, he can’t for a minute go along with his assertion that it risks being “bits and pieces which were found lying around on the cutting room floor.”

If anything has ‘concept’ written all over it, it is this amazing album.
One only has to listen to the whaling saxophone on ‘Boys & Girls’ whilst reading the sleeve notes to realise that this is an unadulterated piece of concept art and yes, avalon_eyes is correct, Ferry’s vocals are sublime.

Windswept’s abiding wish is that he plays the album in its entirety at next year’s RAH show.

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:49 am 

Also following this thread avidly.
I’m pleased that Ferry has not repeated the vocal style of Back to Black and Love is the Drug from The Great Gatsby soundtrack.
And , Cher Windwept, I’m very keen to listen again to the whaling saxophone on Boys and Girls. A unsual faux pas from you , sir, or an evocation of the trans-atlanticism of this record?