VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Happy New Year
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:09 am 

Happy new year - my three Roxy related wishes for 2019 (in descending order of likelihood):

1. Likely - Brief reunion at the RRHOF induction ceremony (suspect Bryan’s current touring band plus Phil, Paul and Andy) – probably play Love is the Drug, Virginia Plain and Jealous Guy

2. Unlikely - A quickly recorded album by Eno + Ferry (and credited as such) consisted of ethereal/atmospheric backing tracks with Ferry vocals and multi layered Eno backing vocals (a bit like Everything that Happens will Happen Today with a more Roxy feel to the music)

3. Highly unlikely - The 2006 recordings returned to and completed with an early Roxy vibe to the sound and released to rapturous acclaim.

Post subject: Re: Happy New Year
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:06 pm 

That's what I like to see Vinny, some well founded new year optimism. In a similar vein I'm off down to the gym! :D
Happy New Year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:35 pm 

Hi Vinny,
I think your third listing is more likely than an album Eno - Ferry.

My feeling tells me that something will come ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 pm 

Uwe wrote:
Hi Vinny,
I think your third listing is more likely than an album Eno - Ferry.

My feeling tells me that something will come ...

Don’t dream, it’s over, you know the song....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 pm 

Hi jeanjean,
It was in 2015 when Bryan Ferry said in an interview that Andy and Phil are highly talented and fantastic musicians. There is always the possibility that one day we will return to the studio and finish the whole thing (The Roxy Recordings 2005-2007).

I have not read to the contrary this statement by Bryan. Must have a reason. He has never officially announced the end of Roxy Music. He always kept this backdoor open ....

And he knows for sure that he will only be able to release one last album with an appropriate tour. After that, the career is over .. Perhaps in connection with his 75th birthday. Either the Roxy album or a last solo album - but without Eno - as Eno has moved farther away from the Roxy Musicans and also Bryan than Bryan from Andy and Phil.

Maybe even with Andy Newmark instead of The Great Paul Thompson (who knows how he's doing ...) on drums.

And anyone who has been following Bryan for the past several decades knows that he is tackling and bringing to a close another material that is lying around somewhere.

It started with Roxy and it ends with Roxy ... and I sense that as well as I thought possible at the time that the chapter of Roxy is not over (Reunion 2001).

Should it be different, then it was at least a nice dream.

Uwe from Germany.

Viva Bryan
Viva Roxy Music

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 am 

Maybe even with Andy Newmark instead of The Great Paul Thompson (who knows how he's doing ...) on drums.

TGPT seems to be doing fine and has been gigging with Lindisfarne again. :D Indeed, he has gigs booked with them for 29-30 March, although I suspect they'll get a deputy in, so that he can attend the Hall Of Fame induction ceremony! ;)

As for a Roxy reunion, I think it's fairly unlikely, especially with regard to the unfinished album sessions. If there was ever going to be even a temporary reunion, I suspect that it would only be for a handful of very lucrative live shows...

Even that seems unlikely, as BF has been happy to fill his recent diaries with solo gigs instead. Who knows, though; if they decide to perform on 29/3, he has the previous fortnight (after his shows in Japan) for rehearsals and seven weeks afterwards before his solo tour resumes...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 am 

As Smudge indicated, TGPT is doing just fine and has been doing well with Lindisfarne gigs for the past 4-5 years. A couple of days ago he posted this "drum cam" video from December 2018 when he played the Liverpool Philharmonic. Enjoy. :)

https://youtu.be/1T3eLu4Vq1g

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 am 

I just can't see it, in fact I'll eat my hat if it happens! Although he's since recanted somewhat, even PM has emphatically stated RM is finished.
Thinking about that other chestnut that gets debated endlessly - 'the voice' - I'm not at all sure I want to hear BF record the follow up to Avalon! The difference would be so marked and unlike any other change in vocal style that had preceded it in RM recordings (whereas any new solo output would sit comfortably alongside recent albums). Above all else I think that's the reason to let the Roxy legacy lie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm 

I've spent the last few days trying to broaden my thoughts on Bryan and Roxy Music.
First of all: Bryan is a sensationally great artist and musician for me. Yes, I love him! And I'm very grateful to him.

With his last tour and the Bitter Sweet album, he is finally on the home stretch, possibly he is just before the finish line ...
What else is to be expected? A third jazz album, Dylan Covers or As time goes by reloded?
When did Bryan make a hit single since Bete Noir?
Yes, I really like the following songs: I Thought, Reason or Rhyme and a few others too.
But I never like songs with the Scissor Sisters or with Todd Terje. That is not the good old Bryan.
Surely there may still be some material lying around for a last solo album. But with what success? Ranked 21th in the UK, 45th in Germany and 41st in France. Is this a worthy farewell to such a great artist?
He has no choice but to bring a last album, combined with a fine and little tour, on the market with Roxy. If the marketing strategy works, then this album will surely be in the top ten of the charts.
It would be a great farewell even with the respect of his other Roxy colleagues
Eno will certainly not support Bryan for a last Album. After all, it was the disagreements between each other that led him to become the band.
And this sting is certainly still deep...
At Night of the Proms, he has certainly noticed the criticism of the journalists, and the audience was not thrilled.
Bryan: say goodbye with dignity! You owe it to yourself. And your Roxy friends too.

VIVA ROXY MUSIC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm 

All I hope is that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction inspires the record label to release more deluxe editions.
The first album box set was amazing, and I'm dying to have a similar set of "For Your Pleasure", and then if they want to follow suit with more albums, that is fine with me.
I just really want to hear "For Your Pleasure" mixed in 5.1 surround by Steven Wilson. That's not too much to ask for, is it?

:)