VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Musikladen Video - Prairie Rose & Three and Nine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 pm 

"New" vintage video has emerged of Roxy Music performing Prairie Rose & Three and Nine on Musikladen in Germany back in November 1974. On the same show they also performed All I Want is You, Out of the Blue and If it Takes All Night which have all been available to view on VHS & DVD for many years but great to see these two new tracks appear, superb footage! :)

https://youtu.be/ZvPlsiBAd84

8-)

Post subject: Re: New Musikladen Video - Prairie Rose & Three and Nine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 am 

This is GREAT footage!!!

This is Peak Roxy at its best. Andy is superb on PR!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 am 

Prior to 2001, I'd say CL was the high water mark of Roxy live. This is fine evidence - tight musicianship and brilliant vocals. A great find - thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:53 pm 

Brilliant find Roxy, well done and thank you.

More proof (as if live at Newcastle City Hall from the same year was not enough ) that this was Roxy Music at their very zenith of both music and style.

Le stomp magnifique!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:22 pm 

Wow, fantastic stuff and the only visual documents of both Three and Nine and Prairie Rose that I'm aware of. Amazing that they've been hidden away in the archives for so long, presumably because they were cut from the original broadcast. They didn't even appear on the Roxy Musikladen DVD release, which at the time I believed to be comprehensive. Maybe raises the argument for a Blu-Ray release, especially in light of the vastly improved picture quality. I do wonder though why All I Want Is You, which was also performed during this session, isn't included here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:15 pm 

I enjoyed this as much now as I enjoyed listening to the album when it came out back then. All the players are superb and Ferry’s vocal style simply excels at Ferryesque.
I do wish the Royal Albert Hall solo gig from the same year could be released as an album.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 pm 

Dean wrote:
Wow, fantastic stuff and the only visual documents of both Three and Nine and Prairie Rose that I'm aware of. Amazing that they've been hidden away in the archives for so long, presumably because they were cut from the original broadcast. They didn't even appear on the Roxy Musikladen DVD release, which at the time I believed to be comprehensive. Maybe raises the argument for a Blu-Ray release, especially in light of the vastly improved picture quality. I do wonder though why All I Want Is You, which was also performed during this session, isn't included here.

The Musikladen Episode dated 13/11/74 which was broadcast had 12 different acts on it with Roxy Music performing AIWIY so perhaps these other four tracks are unused or outtakes?
Maybe some members here from Germany will know more about the format of Musikladen but I assume it was along the lines of TOTP here in the UK. AIWIY is the only "single release" from the five tracks we now know of. Could it be the band are asked to record a few tracks from their latest album with a view of showing them on a future show if they were to be released as singles?

Perhaps PR & TAN were considered to be unlikely single material back then so stuck away somewhere and forgotten about by the show's producers and why we have only ever seen the other three tracks?

Could it be the case that the recent news about the Roxy Music RARHOF induction has prompted TV/photographers/photo agencies to have a check around in their archives in case they have something that they could perhaps earn a bit of cash from?

Just a thought or two.......or three

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:43 pm 

Some good points Roxy. I remember the RM Musikladen DVD booklet had some interesting info about the show itself. It was apparently renowned for allowing bands to showcase some of their more obscure material, a perfect example being when Roxy performed the stunning version of Psalm the previous year. In that sense it was more like the German version of the Old Grey Whistle Test than Top of the Pops. I'm not surprised Three and Nine and Prairie Rose got cut from the original broadcast tbh, they're definitely the weakest of the five performances but they're still a real thrill to watch regardless, particularly as I've never seen them performed live before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:04 pm 

Wow, what a find. The Country Life tour was the first time I saw them live. They opened with Prairie Rose. This has brought back so many memories of that show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:57 pm 

I agree with the general thrust of the thread above. A great find and a real treat!

Thanks for posting, Roxy.