VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame review
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:03 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:
But a Roxy reunion??? Watching those ol' chaps, I'll hope and pray it won't happen. Roxy is history. Over and out...

You need not pray. This will never happen. It`s as over as over can be. This show; so much surface, so little depth, and no seeds for the future. So much about manners and summing things up. A nail in the coffin, that`s all. :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:18 pm 

DCJ wrote:
Here's a clip of BF on CBS This Morning getting some national exposure in the USA.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/roxy-music ... ng-legacy/

It's ostensibly about Roxy and its induction in the RRHOF, but BF gets the solo spotlight (yet again, pit ponies and working class roots...). The original band members get acknowledged (especially Eno) but I don't think I heard any mention of Eddie Jobson.

Watching this interview I don't get a sense that there was much interaction between BF and PM, AM, and EJ as the RRHOF hoopla played out over the past few days...

Of course, the most remarkable aspect of the RRHOF reunion was the involvement of EJ after a hiatus of 43 years. In this context, it would have been nice if BF could have offered some acknowledgement of EJ's violin solo on OOTB - just a simple shout-out like "on violin, Eddie Jobson!" But no, there was nothing...

Beyond rehearsals, did the core four spend any time together in NYC? PM and AM certainly are on good terms, but did they spend any time with EJ? Just wondering...

And at the bottom - the most important quote of them all

On Friday night, Roxy Music finally made it into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, inducted by Duran Duran, a band they greatly influenced, and Ferry reunited with two of his original Roxy bandmates, Andy MacKay and Phil Manzanera.

But it's likely the last time we'll hear Roxy Music.

"I should imagine so," Ferry said. "So you'd better make the most of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:21 pm 

richirama wrote:
It's a shame people are focussing on the negatives.

I have to say as a long time fan of Roxy I am immensely proud of this accolade for the band which is long overdue and well deserved by all.

As a band that has influenced so many other bands of different genres over a long period of time they fully deserve their place in the Hall of Fame.

Let's be grateful that the members of the band are still healthy enough to perform live and still look good doing so.

Well done to them.

Well said

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 pm 

Thanks W2 for a thoughtful and insightful post.

I had no great expectations for Roxy's participation in the RRHOF ceremonies, but upon reflection I'm struck by how cold and concise it all seemed. Yes, BF name-checked all (or at least a whole lot of) the people associated with Roxy over the years but it was devoid of much warmth and/or humanity.

I'm usually skeptical of those who try and decipher "body language," but boy-oh-boy there wasn't much camaraderie among the foursome that accepted the award. I'll be interested to see if PM or AM ever have anything to say about reconnecting with EJ after a hiatus of 43 years. And I wonder if BF had anything to say to EJ beyond some perfunctory "how you doin'?"

In retrospect, it's too bad that Eno's "Green New Deal" prevented him from flying to NYC for the induction, not simply because he would have transformed the performance, but because he would have comprised a Major Media Presence that challenged (and perhaps eclipsed) the preeminence of BF. In Eno's absence, it was relatively easy for BF to take control and treat Roxy as simply "his band." But if Eno had been there, the whole dynamic would have been different, even if he had remained mute on stage as BF blathered on with his laundry list... And imagine if they had played RM/RM and he had contributed some synth squawks along with chiming in on "CPL593H" - THAT would have gotten MAJOR media attention. As it was, AM, PM, and EJ got to sit in with Roxy Lite and run through a few tunes. Nothing wrong with that, but where was the spark???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:07 pm 

Hey, let's throw this interview into the mix.

https://youtu.be/uH4uyUnxxVI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:06 am 

Thanks for the link Robertron!

EJ is very gracious and well-spoken when it's just him and the interviewer. And then PM and AM show up and he alsmost disappears... The AM and EJ handshake is the most fleeting handshake I've ever seen! Blink and you'll miss it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:32 am 

It was Eddie Jobson that brought a tear to my eye... what an absolute pleasure to see him one more time with Roxy playing that iconic solo on "Out Of The Blue" never in a million years did I ever think that would ever happen again. Just class

I'm grateful today for what I can put on the turn table and look back on with happy memories because lets face it with no chemistry and what seems to be no love lost between them, then there simply isn't any point in forcing a reunion just for the sake of it. Roxy are well and truly over.

Hope BF works with EJ in the future, I'm really not ready for seeing the last of him, maybe Bryan could squeeze him in somewhere WHEN he assembles his orchestra and announces the long awaited Bitter-Sweet tour. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:01 am 

Chers amis!

Mais que ce que c´est avec vous?

The roxymaniacs got an award and a reunion; BF released a superb record and he is undertaking a world tour with his great band. And still this doom & gloom! I simply don´t understand you.

Not Prague, instead Wroclaw.. while you counting sheep...

Au revoir!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:24 pm 

https://www.smoothradio.com/news/music/roxy-music-bryan-ferry-hall-of-fame-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnEwm2U1bkg

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/eye-opener-joe-biden-responds-to-allegation-of-misconduct/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:41 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

Mais que ce que c´est avec vous?

Cher Oberon,

W2 pense qu'il n'y a rien de mal.

These 'Hall Of Fame' type things are uniquely American and they are just not Windswept's cup of tea. But hey, if folk like that stuff that's fine.

God knows we have plenty of crass events and programmes over here. W2 just hopes Roxy don't turn up on any of them albeit Ferry did survive an appearance on Cilla Black !

As for other things. Nobody loves 'Bitter Sweet' more than Windswept and he has tickets for TRAH and certainly will appear if there is a new set list.

A Bientôt

W2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next