VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 2019 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:51 pm 

Having seen the setlists from Groningen & Eindhoven, my hopes for Amsterdam were high, but safer options were ultimately chosen on the night. I had a nice chat with a member of Team BF before the show and was advised that no setlists would be given to fans (indeed the crew later tore them to shreds in front of outstretched arms!), as it was still a work in progress this early in the tour. I'm still unsure what is achieved by depriving fans of these souvenirs, but there you go... :?

I was told that there had been some changes since Eindhoven, but not that this entailed the omission of seldom played songs such as Flesh + Blood, Running Wild & Prairie Rose. In their place came more familiar Roxy fayre, whereas many of us ageing tourists yearn for BF's solo back catalogue to be mined for forgotten (at least in live terms) treasures.

Dream Home was a brave, if unusual, choice as an opener (just as it had been at the Hall Of Fame ceremony), but it was very well received, as was OOTB, although Marina's solo was the first indication that the sound levels would be inconsistent throughout the set.

The momentum was lost a bit during The Space Between & The 39 Steps, which suggests that the running order might bear further review. Slave is becoming a little over familiar, but Tom Thumb increased the pulse rate nicely, only for the next handful of songs to return it to a more sedate pace (although I must admit to having a soft spot for To Turn You On).

I'd love more songs from IYM to be included, but BF apparently doesn't share my passion for that album, despite Tokyo Joe getting a good reception as the lead in to the "greatest hits" home lap. Hidden among them was Can't Let Go (my love for IYM applies almost equally to TBSB, but only one song from each is slim pickings from that era) and a rousing Hard Rain; these two were my personal highlights.

I was near one end of the second row, directly in front of Fonzi (who is close to indispensable in supporting the lead vocal) & Tawatha (not Hannah, as misidentified by one Dutch reviewer), both of whom were on fine form, yet a friend in the middle of the front row struggled to hear them or BF.

I had a few problems hearing some of Marina & Spedding's work (they were on the other far side of the stage), while bass and drums were perhaps a little too loud. All of which may prove particularly sad, as some audio recording was in progress; how it sounded to the band or at the sound desk, I don't know, but perhaps it can be remedied at the mixing stage, if there are ever plans to release it.

So, the setlist was rather safe and the sound less than perfect (although far from the disaster portrayed by some on social media), but the audience was very happy and responsive, while BF was generally smiling and relaxed (both during the show and afterwards, as he signed autographs near the stage door). He looks well, if a little thinner this year.

New guitarist Tom Vanstiphout, whom friends had described as a bit nervous during the earlier shows, had a great night, even if it meant less Spedding than last year (not that it seemed to bother CS, who always serves the music above all else). Time will tell, but I think TV could prove to be a worthy successor to Ollie & Quist.

As is often the case, the loudest reception was reserved for Jorja, who does a fine job of recreating Andy's solos; she has become a key member of the band and is consistently good, but let's not confuse fine playing with the creativity and innovation of Mr Mackay which first gave those songs life.

All in all a fun night catching up with Dutch & Belgian friends in a really good concert atmosphere, but I'll still be hoping for some further setlist experiments and revisions before and at the Royal Albert Hall. Here's hoping...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:09 am 

No Prairie Rose but did he ever play Shame Shame Shame during this tour?

No, Pianoman, it was a first airing on this tour for SSS; indeed, I think it may be the song's first outing since 2013... :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:22 am 

Hipsters,

Our intrepid roving reporter - Smudge - has reported back with tales of torn up set lists, sound difficulties and a mediocre set list that was well received by the audience !

Herein lies the problem. Our hero is so loved that he could actually gargle in the bath and receive a standing ovation. His team of fabulous musicians make sure that you are always enthralled. There is always something intoxicating about the whole thing.

That said, hopefully this set list will be quickly refined. There are so many gems that we yearn for and why is it that his great songs from this century are studiously ignored ? W2 is ‘Frantic’ for a little more of the avant - garde.

Windswept will redouble his efforts. He is now praying to Penshaw five times daily.

Salutations a tous,

W2

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 am 

Windswept2: Herein lies the problem. Our hero is so loved that he could actually gargle in the bath and receive a standing ovation.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(PS: Except from gargling IYLSE)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:00 pm 

Oberon: Cher pianoman, no, it´s not a war of words. I know that you are true fan and your posts are always interesting to read.

Thank you, Oberon, I can only return your compliment. Maybe the problem was that my dictionary translated German "Wortgefecht" into English "war of words" ;). But debates on Roxy / Ferry are what it's all about in these "hallowed cyber halls" (™ Windswept2 ??), aren't they?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:47 pm 

If you ever wondered `bout Wrocaw setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bryan-fe ... 1b6fc.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:44 am 

Chers amis!

A great show in Wroclaw. BF was in good shape and more talkative than usual. Personally I was pleased to hear odd songs like 39 steps & Space between, but I guess for the audience they were just fillers. Instead they went wild for Slave to love, Avalon, Oh yeah & Jealous guy. Of course the band has to play these classics. The highlight for me was Boys&Girls. It was not a jazz version, nor in its original form. I don´t have the musical knowledge as the great pianoman, but I always liked BF;s more abstract songs. Another pearl was To turn you on. This poetic song shows that BF is as much an artiste as a musician if not more. The version of My only love was very good, so was Avalon, thanks to the background singer- honestly I don´t know if it was Aleysha or Hannah -; anyway, best performance since Yannick Etienne - the crowd loved it. The seemingly shy MM weavs a golden thread into every song and Jorja, the black panther, is worth the ticket price herself. I also think it is a good idea to have a fairly young, energetic guitar player to assist the legendary CS. So, all in all a very good show. I would love to hear Running wild live, but I fully understand that BF sticks to the standards. After all, it is more important to please the majority than a few eccentrics. Viva the Groundhog set list!
Before the show I talked to a couple who had came all the way from Cornwall since they couldn´t get tickets for RAH. They stayed at the same hotel as the band. They had met all the members in the lobby. Well, perhaps not unsurprisingly, except the man himself.
Bonne journée à tous!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:22 am 

...thanks to the background singer- honestly I don´t know if it was Aleysha or Hannah...

They were both replaced in the band after the tour programme went to print, Oberon. The lady in question is Tawatha Agee, whose BF connection, like Fonzi's, dates back to the Avalon tour (I don't think either of them did the Flesh + Blood tour, but I'm happy to be corrected...). :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:49 pm 

Oberon wrote:
" I would love to hear Running wild live, but I fully understand that BF sticks to the standards. After all, it is more important to please the majority than a few eccentrics. Viva the Groundhog set list!
"

Fanatical Ferryistas,

W2 is pleased that Oberon had a good time and that he enjoyed the show - not to enjoy yourself must never be the objective.

That said, this set list is as dull as dishwater. Since the removal of F&B, RW & PR, the sizzle has been surgically removed from the sausage and if W2 hears JG, LST, STL, OY again he swears to God he will cut up his navy blue Charvet silk tie.

As the hopeless completist Windswept is, he will be at TRAH and he will enjoy the show but he fears it might be with the help of copious amounts of alcohol.

Groundhog could have been great if it had kicked in during the AEWBF tour - now that's a set list Windswept could and does listen to daily. That was peak Ferry, ths one is some way from the summit .

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:17 pm 

There are no surprises anymore. It has become a seemingly random setlist with a hodgepodge of songs. One wonders what`s the philosophy behind that:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bryan-fe ... 1aacf.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next