VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Luzern, Switzerland
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:59 pm 

"Liebe bleibt seine Droge: Bryan Ferrys Party ist noch nicht vorbei"

"Easy Listening für Anspruchsvolle"

This article is so full of goodly German ways of putting it that I leave the link bare:

https://www.zentralplus.ch/de/news/kult ... vorbei.htm

Post subject: Re: Luzern, Switzerland
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm 

Vielen Dank, le freak, für den Link zu dem Schweizer Online-Magazin!

I was a little bit tired of reading all those well-known stories about Bryan, his biography, correct details (or not), mostly sympathetic comments - and sometimes the opposite. It became an inflation of reviews during the last years ...

But this one was really outstanding. Only one "fake news" (nine Roxy Music albums - I wish he were right !!!), well-considered views and nicely worded opinions about the concert in Luzern.

I like to google set lists of all my heroes of the past; Collins, Clapton, Dylan, McCartney, Sting, Elton John or whoever. Most of them present more or less a greatest hits show including some gems from their back catalogue. That's what it is all about at the age of 70+.

And the result of the Swiss critic that it's not the worst idea to listen to the king of "easy listening" as he calls it, is absolutely true. If Bryan is back in 2020, perhaps with a new album ( ... ) I will be the first to buy a ticket!

Viele Grüße nach Norwegen! -p-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 pm 

Danke schön! It follows from what you say that we`re witnessing a musician in his swansong. Youtubes from his latest gigs only show his most well known songs. So he`s retireing, step by step.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:18 am 

pianoman wrote:
Vielen Dank, le freak, für den Link zu dem Schweizer Online-Magazin!

I was a little bit tired of reading all those well-known stories about Bryan, his biography, correct details (or not), mostly sympathetic comments - and sometimes the opposite. It became an inflation of reviews during the last years ...

But this one was really outstanding. Only one "fake news" (nine Roxy Music albums - I wish he were right !!!), well-considered views and nicely worded opinions about the concert in Luzern.

I like to google set lists of all my heroes of the past; Collins, Clapton, Dylan, McCartney, Sting, Elton John or whoever. Most of them present more or less a greatest hits show including some gems from their back catalogue. That's what it is all about at the age of 70+.

And the result of the Swiss critic that it's not the worst idea to listen to the king of "easy listening" as he calls it, is absolutely true. If Bryan is back in 2020, perhaps with a new album ( ... ) I will be the first to buy a ticket!

Viele Grüße nach Norwegen! -p-

Fanatical Ferryistas,
For Windswept perhaps herein lies the problem.
W2 has never considered our hero “The King Of Easy Listening “.
He has always considered him “The King Of Avant-Garde”.
Every album or show always included something that shivered his timbers - something that was new, different or better.
Unlike the other musicians that pianoman lists who, with the exception of Dylan, have long been devoid of any innovation or real capacity to interest. Indeed Windswept could have slept through the last Clapton concert he attended and although still a fan of his albums, would have payed to avoid his last Dylan concert show.
By contrast, Ferry, Bowie and Cohen remained quite unique. They retained something of the night about them. They kept that capacity to surprise and seduce - both with their recordings and live shows.
Sadly only Ferry remains from the triumphant trio and today Windswept devotes most of his listening time to Jazz or the odd morsel of soul, blues or rock that works his mojo.
If one of his last remaining living heroes is drained of innovation it would indeed be sad.
Happily ‘Bitter-Sweet’ would offer evidence to the contrary. He just needs to re-hire Colin Good as musical director to re-boot his live act.
More debate after TRAH.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:16 am 

Cher M. Windswept, je vous souhaite un fabuleux concert!

Almost 50 years ago Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music were the "Gods of Avant-Garde" whereas for example Bowie's "Starman" was a simple pop song (with a nice melody, of course). No more and no less than that. "Virginia Plain", "Do The Strand" or AHRAGF were highly innovative music - something you had never heard before at that time.

Later things changed: During his Berlin phase (with a little help from his friend Eno) Bowie's music became more innovative while Bryan created more and more his kind of lounge sound, sometimes very noir as in Boys & Girls or Mamouna, sometimes serene and melodious as in Avalon or Avonmore.

In the 90s Bowie's music in part became very experimental (Trip Hop Sounds, the albums "1.Outside", "Earthling" etc.) while Bryan took refuge in cover songs (Taxi) and Jazz standards (ATGB). At least the Mamouna sound was still experimental (with a little help from his friend Eno).

I think Bryan's concerts of today are extremely entertaining for his public as for me in 2018 or Smudge, Oberon and jeanjean in 2019 to name a few members of this forum. No easy listening but nostalgic entertainment. No more and no less than that 8-) .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:47 pm 

It sure is nostalgic entertainment, smooth as the Frantic album was smooth. For "people who don`t like music", if you know what I mean, even Avalon has enough wry notes to keep people away. Being avant garde is a two edged sword. It`s about either in a good way or in a bad way. David Bowie`s Scary Monsters was in a good way.

For the time being, I stick to soul. White female soul from around 1970 is the thing for me. -Albums where I can sense a subtle interplay between lyrics, voice and instruments, in the same spirit as RM`s Avalon. Albums produced by Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd & Arif Mardin, right?