A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New Post: Bryan's 'Sympathy for the Devil' @ roxymusicso
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:58 am 

True2Life wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

To make it even more attractive, though, I think it should be a good idea to present it as a "velo". In other words, to add a collage from 2019 or, perhaps even better, the show from RAH with the orchestra 2013 (-14?).

Salutations à tous!

An excellent suggestion. The 2013 show was a triumph. Such a package is never going to be a colossal seller but perhaps it could be sold via the online shop as Live 2015 was? The back catalogue seems sadly neglected at present - could Team Ferry not be working on it while Bryan is on the road? Or does he insist on doing everything himself?

-?????????

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:43 pm 

Thank you Kevin for another great article. Always a pleasure to read and learn from them

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:50 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

To make it even more attractive, though, I think it should be a good idea to present it as a "velo". In other words, to add a collage from 2019 or, perhaps even better, the show from RAH with the orchestra 2013 (-14?).

Salutations à tous!

An excellent suggestion. The 2013 show was a triumph. Such a package is never going to be a colossal seller but perhaps it could be sold via the online shop as Live 2015 was? The back catalogue seems sadly neglected at present - could Team Ferry not be working on it while Bryan is on the road? Or does he insist on doing everything himself?

Hipsters,
Oberon & True2life make a great suggestion. TRAH Recto/Verso: 1974/2013 would be phenomenal but for reasons W2 will never understand, there doesn’t seem to be anything official to commemorate the absolute triumph that was AEWBF.
This is sad beyond belief because the ‘Tollwood Tapes’ from the German radio broadcast of the Munich show are excellent - surely, team Ferry can get hold of the masters albeit there may be copyright issues to be worked through.
That said it is surely the ‘74 show that is of huge historical significance. It truly presented a nouvelle vague for the presentation of music and contains songs that have never or rarely been performed live since.
Let’s hope we get it and with some great artwork !
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:05 pm 

RoxySiren wrote:
Thank you Kevin for another great article. Always a pleasure to read and learn from them

Thank you RoxySiren - the first solo album has more to it than I'd originally appreciated. Thank you for reading!
Kevin
roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm 

Who knows if the RAH 74 cd will ever be released (sigh), but if it is, then WS2 would be the perfect person to write the liner notes. I mean it. WS2 would do a GREAT job!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 pm 

DCJ wrote:
Who knows if the RAH 74 cd will ever be released (sigh), but if it is, then WS2 would be the perfect person to write the liner notes. I mean it. WS2 would do a GREAT job!!!

Cher DCJ,

I’m more than touched but I think our hero will need a scribe with more lead in his pencil than moi-meme ! That said, I’d certainly offer my services foc.

I’d love to see this album come to fruition because ‘RAH ‘74’ was not only a moment of huge significance in Ferry’s career, it was a tremendously important event in the history of rock and the history of RAH.

By way of context, the first rock act to appear at ‘The Albert’ was Bill Hayley back in the ‘60s but following a number of over enthusiastic performances by both bands and fans, Rock acts were effectively banned in ‘72.

Ferry tried to get a date in early ‘74 on the grounds that he was appearing with an orchestra and his set list mainly comprised ballads but was turned down.

The management eventually relented and he got his December date. So, in a certain way, he was responsible for getting rock back at the RAH.

More than this, the show itself was absolutely groundbreaking.

As those of us of a certain vintage know, music had become incredibly tribal during the late ‘60s. Eclectic tastes were virtually a secret obsession. If you liked the heavy rock of Zeppelin it would be most uncool to acknowledge Jazz or Soul and the sartorial had followed suit - or not ! Most rock musicians had started to dress like refuse collectors and only the soul aficionados had retained any semblance of elegance.

Ferry had already broken the mould in every way with ‘Roxy Music’. Their fusion of influences, the originality of their compositions coupled with a glamorous stage presence had already heralded a new era of art rock.

Not content with this, he started to plough a parallel solo furrow that now, two albums in was truly braking all semblance of tribalism with an achingly cool set of interpretations that were completely genre-crossing.

Now in a series of three shows, culminating at the RAH, he appeared for the first time under his own name and with a full orchestra to showcase virtually the entirety of TFT & ATGB and dressed in a tuxedo !

It was just amazing. It set the standard and really launched a solo career that’s now spanned over 45 years.

I finished up going by mistake (we were supposed to be at the Newcastle gig) but it was a night I’ll never forget and I suspect he won’t either. It was a complete triumph.

I’d no idea that a recording existed but clearly it does and if it’s good he simply has to release it. It will be massively interesting to fans and contains songs that have never been performed live since.

It’s a piece of history that didn’t just launch a solo career, it re-launched one of the world’s preeminent music venues, broke down tribalism in music and brought some much needed style back to things. It made him the boy wonder !

Salutations ,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:57 pm 

Can't help but smile reading WS2's remarks of those early triumphs!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 am 

WS2:
You have even more conclusively demonstrated why you have the skills, knowledge, insight and passion to write the notes for the RAH 74 cd.

A great post!!!

DCJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 pm 

RoxySiren wrote:

Thank you RoxySiren! Lots of fun to write.
/k roxymusicsongs.com