VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: End of my dream
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 pm 

Thanks for your reply Pianoman.

Personally I am interested in the early Roxy material such as the BF 1974 tour and 1975 Siren tour. I think this was a great time to be a Roxy fan - Roxy, BF, Eno, Phil and Andy all making records that had a certain "Roxyness" to them.

I don't think that we will see a Roxy tour again due to the economics involved. Session musicians are generally paid less than band members and will accept this if they can gain something longer term, such as raising their profile in the music biz. Back in 1977 Chris Spedding (or his management) were pretty savvy in this respect - story goes that he only agreed to the IYM tour if he got his own album (Hurt) and tour out of it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 pm 

[quote="Roger"]Hello Pianoman,

1. The forum is quiet now because it is dominated by a small number of people who think that they have ownership of it. New members with different opinions aren't made welcome.

Roger

I’m not sure how you can justify this statement . There are contributors who comment here more than most but I don’t think anyone has claimed ownership of the forum.

I thought the ‘all styles served here ‘ was rather apt as we are all engaged but I do think we’ve run out of things to say. Roxy Music are now preserved in amber. Ferry is allowing his muse to flourish in touring and In past glories. So it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:08 pm 

Avalon Eyes,

My statement is is based on MY perception of the situation, which I own. How DO YOU account for the lack of new members, which is a fact?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 am 
Site Owner

There has been a problem with registration for new members for a while as there is some technical fault that I don't have the knowledge or skills on how to fix. I pay a company to do all the 'clever stuff'

I will get them involved to see if they can get it sorted.

I aim to freshen the site with a new look etc and any improvements I can make but it does take a lot of money and time to do that and it's just finding the time as I am very busy with a lot of things outside this site.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 pm 

Thanks for that John.

In an ideal world I'd like to see some new, younger members joining the forum, and that they felt able to express their opinions. I don't think there is any need to have been listening to Roxy in their early days like I have to do that. However, the "fans" who became interested around the time of Avalon, by far and away Roxy's worst offering, are the ones that I have little in common with and IMHO don't "get" Roxy. Avalon was essentially a BF solo album with Neil Hubbard the main guitar player and Phil adding his bits later. Phil doesn't even play on one track, just like on F&B.

I well remember Phil's forum around 2000 - 2001. Unfortunately this became dominated by a clique and the rest of us lost interest so the forum died.

As always thanks for your efforts John.

Roger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:29 pm 

Roger wrote:
Thanks for that John.

However, the "fans" who became interested around the time of Avalon, by far and away Roxy's worst offering, are the ones that I have little in common with and IMHO don't "get" Roxy. Avalon was essentially a BF solo album with Neil Hubbard the main guitar player and Phil adding his bits later. Phil doesn't even play on one track, just like on F&B.

As always thanks for your efforts John.

Roger

Pleased to meet you Roger! Although F&B was even worse… In fact Roxy died after Manifesto's East Side...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:05 pm 

Sentimental Fool,

Couldn't agree more! Once TPGT had gone and Neil Hubbard was in (no disrespect to him) that was that. I did enjoy the Manifesto tour with that small, tight band. Funnily enough and much to my surprise, I also enjoyed the F&B tour. No TGPT, but Michael Dawe did a good job and was a much better fit than Andy Newmark (again no disrespect meant).

Thanks for your reply,

Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:24 pm 

Thanks for your reply, John. As long as this site exists, I'll read it each and every day. Still hoping for more posts and new members.

I agree with you, Roger, that the 70ies were the golden years of Roxy/Bryan - an incredible output of fantastic music. Nevertheless I like most songs from Flesh + Blood, Avalon or Bête Noire.

So what's left from my Roxy enthusiasm? I'm looking forward to the 2020 Bryan Ferry show in a South German monastery in July (songs from TFT/ATAP?). And I am still hoping that For Your Pleasure Deluxe will find its way to my post box some day ... 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:48 pm 

Hi Pianoman,

I Britain we have a saying that "All good things must come to an end". For me this applies to Roxy Music touring again. As a (poor) guitar player myself, Phil/Eno and TGPT have always been my focus in Roxy. Phil seems as capable as ever to tour and is still coming up with new, fresh ideas so I am grateful for that :D

Best to you,

Roger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:38 pm 

I don't think that the lack of awareness of Roxy among a younger audience has been helped by the apparent lack of interest in reissuing the back catalogue. Try mentioning to anyone under the age of 30 that you are a fan of Roxy Music and you will encounter blank looks - I have tried it! Apart from the excellent reissue of the first album, albeit which took forever to appear while the accompanying book was completed, nothing has materialised for many years from the vaults. A deluxe FYP has been promised but not appeared. What of the remaining albums and VIVA? They could do with a springclean and polish whilst Ferry is still an actively touring musician and out there working.

A selection of archive shows from the major tours being released, either as physical product or downloads, would be a positive start. I'm assuming both that they actually still exist and are not in an unreleasable decayed state? But does anyone have the inclination to work on this? Bryan tours and any work on the archive would need to be fitted in around it. It's doubtful he would delegate it.

I think it is somewhere in David Buckley's excellent Roxy/Ferry biography that he mentions loving the final three albums but almost with a different part of his brain from the first five, as though they were the work of two different bands. You could argue they were in fact the work of 3 different bands, splitting the 2 albums with Eno and the 3 post-Eno ones.

We all have our favourite Roxy phases just as much as our favourite Bowie ones. Personally I love the Flesh + Blood album (I realise this puts me in a small and select group here) but I love FYP and Stranded too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next