VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Tour Set List
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 pm 

W2,
So glad it was a successful night. I am so jealous of you all. What a great setlist. The best of this kind since the Frantic tour. No Wooly Bully though. Would love some one to post a Hiroshima video. I’d love to see/hear that one live. Enjoy Friday’s show all you lucky ones and hopefully things will calm down by the time the tour resumes. Stay healthy and stay cool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:21 pm 

Hipsters,
Sage advice from AZartist but if you are going to pass away, pass away at a fandango. What a way to go !
Meanwhile, Ferry on. This too shall pass.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:57 am 

Quote:
but the absolute highlight was a blistering rendition of ‘The Same Old Scene’

I agree entirely (from my Manchester experience). Along with 'More Than This', this is surely the hardest of all BF/RM songs to pull off live given the pace and high production values on the record. However it was done brilliantly - I loved every second of this classic.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:01 pm 

I did not see this review of the Wednesday night Albert Hall concert posted anywhere on the site...so apologies if it is already here and has been posted. I have to say it concurs exactly with my feelings with the performance I witnessed on the Friday night.Mrs Manifesto and I flew in from Belfast to our first ever concert in The Albert Hall. It was truly a night to remember.:

Daily Telegraph review : 5 stars
Bryan Ferry, Royal Albert Hall, review: the ageless designer pop star cruises magnificently on

Neil McCormick, Music Critic

12 March 2020 • 12:56pm

'Is Bryan Ferry a time traveller? Now 74 years old, after five decades of stardom, he arrived onstage at the Royal Albert Hall as if untouched by such temporal forces as age or fashion. Immaculate and stylish in designer suit and tie, he appeared out of the darkness to lead his 11-piece band in a dazzling display of skill, art and musicality, then glided off with a flamboyant wave of one arm, acknowledging the roar of the crowd like a mythical Matador who has completed a great ritual sacrifice.

Nothing was said, and nothing needed to be. This was a master in his element. This was an audience being treated to the best that pop music has to offer.

When Roxy Music arrived on the scene in 1972, they presented a startling pop-art vision of the future. Now we are actually in the future, the shock of the new has faded, yet somehow the Roxy frontman still looks and sounds like he belongs here. It is not because Ferry has made any great effort to keep up with trends. It is because he operates outside of them. The sinuous flow of groove and melody allied to the cinematic sweep of his virtuoso ensemble concocted something that remains eternally modern because it is essentially timeless.

It is perhaps to Ferry’s advantage that the oddly shy former art student never particularly strove to push his charismatic presence to the fore. Even in his chart glory days, that strange vibrato vocal was only ever an element of a layered widescreen sound. Indeed, his voice has dropped a bit, sliding down the scale from fragile tenor to wobbly baritone, but rather than putting it under strain to compete with nostalgic memories of his younger self, Ferry simply lowers song keys and slips into the overall sonic picture as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

Which, of course, it is. As veteran rock stars go, Ferry sets a standard more should follow, ageing so gracefully it doesn’t seem like ageing at all.

On Wednesday evening, he played almost everything ardent admirers might want to hear and some nuggets they probably hadn’t expected to. The first half of the set featured Roxy oddities such as The Bogus Man and Casanova, their alien qualities preserved in otherworldly melodies. Two keyboard players and a limber rhythm section establish a mesmeric texture that saxophone, violin, backing vocals and two fluid lead guitars weaved in and out of, while Ferry tossed his head as if utterly lost in the music. It was intricate enough to be compared to jazz yet never sacrificed focus for noodling cleverness, remaining rooted in song craft and emotion.

Another aspect of Ferry’s oeuvre was on display during an intimate interlude of two Bob Dylan songs, Don’t Think Twice and Make You Feel My Love, backed by picked guitars, with Ferry conjuring hauntingly nuanced harmonica solos. He has always been an unabashed admirer and bold interpreter of other great songwriters, and the emotional intent he brought to these ballads of love and regret was breathtaking. You won’t hear better versions anywhere, certainly not from Ferry’s idol.

Dylan was the source of another highlight as the second half dynamic shifted to a punchy dive into the hits, with Ferry leading his vocal trio through a gusty blast of A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall. A song he first performed at the Royal Albert Hall back in 1974, this sounds newly relevant in these days of coronavirus paranoia. Yet its apocalyptic message was lost on a section of Ferry’s grey-haired audience, who giddily abandoned any lingering attempts at self-isolation to rush the stage, reaching towards their hero’s outstretched hand.

If public gatherings are indeed to be temporarily discouraged, then these old glam rockers were intent on making the most of this night out, dancing and singing along to such Roxy belters as Love Is The Drug, Street Life and Virginia Plain.

“Come on, come on let’s stick together!” Ferry crooned on a barnstorming version of his famous Wilbert Harrison cover. Still sound advice, 44-years since Ferry first delivered it. Pop fashions may come and go, but Ferry cruises magnificently on.'

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:39 pm 

Cher Manifesto,
Thanks for posting this.
Neil McCormick sums it all up quite beautifully.
What a fandango !
W2 in Lockdown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6