VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bryan in "Another Man"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:25 pm 

Seems like a new interview.
He is very critical of his own singing on RM.
"Awful"..! :o

https://www.anothermanmag.com/life-cult ... roxy-music

Post subject: Re: Bryan in "Another Man"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:12 pm 

An interesting read; thanks for sharing, Uwe. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:56 am 

Cher uwe2!

Partly a very interesting article, thanks for that.
The only time I met BF in person, I could tell that he was pleased when I said that his music was like a soundtrack to my life and that Mamouna had a special place in my heart.
Bête Noir is another masterpiece. As BF pointed out himself, it could have been even better with a different soundscape - lush and "green" like Mamouna rather than Madonna-like 80s. So one project for him could be to re-record it with his new band!

Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:19 am 

Limbo, Zamba and the title track of Bete Noire have featured heavily in recent outings so maybe there is scope for re-modelling the entire album. I can imagine Kiss and Tell as a slow , reflective number , Day for Night as a dance track and The Name of the Game as less of the dirge it veers towards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:25 pm 

Great interview. Bete Noire is of its time but still a great album and much more upbeat and positive than anything that surrounds it in the BF oeuvre so leave it as it is I say. BF has the opportunity to give these things a more contemporary touch on his live dates if he wishes, although to my ear his recent live versions of Limbo, Kiss & Tell, Zamba and Bete Noire all stick quite faithfully to the album versions. I also love New Town, Day for Night, The Right Stuff and have recently re-evaluated Name of the Game, which I also now really like. The only disposable track for me is Seven Deadly Sins, although Zamba doesn't do a whole lot for me either tbh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:36 pm 

Hipsters,
At last an interview conducted by somebody who understands our hero’s art and who can actually write !
Tim Blanks ghost this man’s biography now - you get it, understand it and love it. Furthermore you are astute enough to interrogate it.
How refreshing it is to see a real in-depth exchange.
I was touched by the comments that Ferry made about MOP. What a great song and its emotional resonance for many of us is just huge. No wonder he chokes up performing it.
As for the idea of re-visiting ‘Bete-Noire’ I think it’s genius. I love that album for the songs but dislike the production and some of the arrangements. Sometimes when I listen to it I find myself rearranging it in my head. I’m sure if he re-makes and re- models, it will be a killer. ‘The Name Of The Game’ alone has so many possibilities and his interpretation of ‘New Town’ on ‘Bitter Sweet’ surely shows the way.
‘Bete Noire’ refaite Monsieur Ferry, s’il vous plait !
Bravo a Tim Blanks et Bravo a tous - we will fly to Rio and fandango again !
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:17 pm 

Without professing to be an expert, there doesn't sound a whole lot wrong with the production on Bete Noire to me. The Patrick Leonard touches make it unique in the canon and if Ferry were to revisit it then I can imagine it'd end up sounding more moody, in the same vein as Zamba, which would be less interesting IMHO. If this is the type of route Ferry wants to take then why not instead revisit In Your Mind, whose production he has previously labelled as "very square" (something that definitely can't be said of Bete Noire).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:55 am 

Dean wrote:
..... there doesn't sound a whole lot wrong with the production on Bete Noire to me. The Patrick Leonard touches make it unique in the canon and if Ferry were to revisit it then I can imagine it'd end up sounding more moody, in the same vein as Zamba, which would be less interesting IMHO. If this is the type of route Ferry wants to take then why not instead revisit In Your Mind ....

Hipsters,
Dean makes interesting points albeit W2 can’t agree with them.
‘Bete Noire’ is the middle of what Windswept has always considered to be Ferry’s noir triptych, the bookends of which (‘Boys & Girls’ and ‘Mamouna’ ) are timeless .
To W2’s ear ‘Bete Noire’ is, to coin a phrase ‘Of Its Time’.
Windswept has nothing against Monsieur Leonard. Indeed he did some great work with Leonard Cohen towards the end of his (Leonard’s) career.
That said, ‘Bete Noire’ just lacks the depth of sound and texture of the other two yet, the songs are just so strong.
It begs to be re-made, re-modelled and W2 is delighted that our hero appears to agree.
Salutations a tous et bon ‘Lock Down’
Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:30 am 

Chers amis!

After some thinking, I guess Dean is right. Bête Noir as a whole should not be touched. It belongs to a certain time. But a handful songs could be remade/remodelled! Together with some from other albums and a couple of new songs - a kind of collage. Well, loose thoughts. Surely our hero has better ideas!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 am 

Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

After some thinking, I guess Dean is right. Bête Noir as a whole should not be touched. It belongs to a certain time. But a handful songs could be remade/remodelled! Together with some from other albums and a couple of new songs - a kind of collage. Well, loose thoughts. Surely our hero has better ideas!

Mes Amis,
W2 doesn’t think Bryan is considering visiting individual homes to relieve you of your original. It will exist in perpetuity.
If a plan exists it must be surely to turn the canvas and ‘re-make’, ‘re-model’ to complement the bookends of his noir triptych.
Il faut etre honette, the VO sounds a little thin and these great songs need attention.
Salutations et bon lock-down.
W2