VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Royal Albert Hall 2020 Out on Friday
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:12 am 

Thoroughly enjoying the new live release. it seems to me that the Ferry voice is further forward in the mix this time than it was on the Live 2015 release - there's no attempt to conceal the fact that it is weaker than in younger days but Just Like You and Avalon, for example, are in no way diminished by the passing of time on the Ferry larynx.

It seems that the song selection and the arrangements are better suited to the voice this time around, whereas in other recent tours the voice may have been battling to be heard against the full rock band approach and supported by the backing singers. This is very much Bryan's show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:40 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Thoroughly enjoying the new live release. it seems to me that the Ferry voice is further forward in the mix this time than it was on the Live 2015 release - there's no attempt to conceal the fact that it is weaker than in younger days but Just Like You and Avalon, for example, are in no way diminished by the passing of time on the Ferry larynx.

It seems that the song selection and the arrangements are better suited to the voice this time around, whereas in other recent tours the voice may have been battling to be heard against the full rock band approach and supported by the backing singers. This is very much Bryan's show.

Hipsters,
True2Life speaks truth and wisdom.
It is “very much Bryan’s show” and these are very soulful renditions.
The only change W2 would have made on that set list would be to have replaced ‘Make You Feel My Love’ with the absolutely diamond ‘Gates Of Eden’.
Salutations a tous,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:56 pm 

It doesn’t say which night the recordings are from (and somebody must know)

The short answer is "both", Miniluv. They taped both nights and songs from each are included; no idea which songs come from which night, though! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 pm 

My copy of the album arrived yesterday. I decided to sit down and listen to the whole CD without distraction. My wife and I were in the RAH ( for the first time ever) on the last night of the tour.
This is truly a perfect record of a wonderful night. More than any of his previous live presentations there is a sense of 'musical layering'.A true synergy between the musicians creating a real soundscape. Another great album from the maestro!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 am 

I’m quite surprised by the mild comments on this issue. That’s to say, for the few that are posted here (it seems to me RAH74 received a lot more euphoric posts..)

Anyway, what could make the RAH20 edition worth listening? Let’s have a try:

- If you like to hear your former hero struggling with his own songs
- If you like to listen to a voice that’s weak, shaky, insecure and leaning on the backing vocals
- If you enjoy a band of stale sessionplayers
- If you fancy their smooth and polished sound
- If you don’t mind the lack of power, experiment and improvisation

Well, in that case RAH20 will please you… But it hurts me by all means.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:

“… But it hurts me by all means”.

Hipsters,
Something good comes out of everything n’est-ce-pas ?
W2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:06 pm 

Quote:
I’m quite surprised by the mild comments on this issue. That’s to say, for the few that are posted here (it seems to me RAH74 received a lot more euphoric posts..)

Given your castigation of the latest offering, why would the relatively euphoric reception for the 74 recording compared to this one come as a surprise to you? Surely, to your mind at least, you answered your own question?

Quote:
Well, in that case RAH20 will please you… But it hurts me by all means.

I have to say, on a forum for 'fans', this hurts me. I come here to be with fans of the musician I love, not for rants devoid of any objectivity whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:46 pm 

My copy of RAH 2020 arrived yesterday. I love this record

- because Bryan's voice at (almost) 75 sounds better than the years before, even without background singers (e.g. Don't Think Twice - an outstanding track),

- because the set list is more varied than the years before (e.g. The Bogus Man),

- because the arrangements allowed his voice the space it needs,

- because I love stale session players (yes, Sentimental Fool, that's why I am a fan of Toto),

- because it shows what we had and never will have again (Roxy Music, e.g. Same Old Scene, the weakest track on the album),

- because the band was indeed able to play perfect re-makes of perfect (Roxy) music (e.g. The Bogus Man - the best track on the album),

- because songs like Just Like You warm my heart,

- because "all proceeds will be shared between the band and crew members",

- because it carries the signature of my musical hero and

- because - who knows - it could be his last record - at least for a long time.

Thank you Bryan Ferry and band/crew - and stay safe because I hope that my last point won't come true 8-)

- pianoman -

Last edited by pianoman on Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:58 pm 

RAH 2020 has charted in the Official UK Album top 100 at 18 (exactly the same chart position as RAH 74). It is in the Album Sales chart at 5,the physical sales at 6, the Vinyl chart at 8 and 14 in the download chart. I have to say I'm mystified how everything feeds into the main chart!
Amazing to think that the Maestro's solo album chart career has lasted 48 years!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm 

Well said pianoman!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next