VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: "Hello" Thread-Forum introducrtions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:44 pm 

Thought I might start a "hello" thread, they have been useful in other Forums I have joined.
I am a 50-year old architect from Masschusetts and a Roxy fan since the mid-seventies. I was a huge King Crimson fan and got into Roxy through the Fripp/Eno and John Wetton connections.

Having grown up in a house where I heard equal parts of the Beatles, Mahler and Cole Porter, Roxy made perfect sense to me.

Post subject: Re: "Hello" Thread-Forum introducrtions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:30 pm 

I am glad to find a forum here, well done!!

I'm Irena in Riga, Latvia, I have been on the Avalon list and MSN Roxy before (as Greylagoons).

Hi to everyone that will remember me, I hope everyone is having a great summer (despite the crisis and what not)!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Owner

Cau, Irena Lab diena, ka tev iat.

I have been in Latvia a couple of times Madona and Riga and was at the BF show in 2007. I have a few Latvian friends here in Scotland.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:02 pm 

Hi Irena

Good to see you around. Hope you and Roxy dog are very well.

Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:30 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I have been in Latvia a couple of times Madona and Riga and was at the BF show in 2007.

Oh wow! :shock: I wish I had known you were there too...

Hi Mandy!!

Thank you, we're fine, and the Roxy dog is now Latvian & Lithuanian & Estonian & Russian & Ukrainian & Belorussian & Polish Champion (+ a few field&retrieving qualifications) GRAUSTURM LOVE IS A DRUG (imp. Australia). :D I hope you're well, too! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 am 

Well done Irena. I searched and looked at the photographs.
She's beautiful.
Mandy :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:49 am 

Thank you! She's my pride and joy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 am 

David aka eddieriff from So Cal. I used to have an Andy site and branched out into some Roxy forums. Now, I'm just satisfied to peek in every now and then.

Cheers,
David

Post subject: Roxy addict here.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:01 am 

I got the vinyl albums of "Siren," "Country Life," and "Stranded" when I was a teenager. Unfortunately, I stopped listening for a while and only recently returned to listen. I heard "More Than This" on the radio and was hooked again. I only recently discovered Bryan Ferry's solo work. I had listened to Brian Eno solo as a teenager, as well and his work actually helped me appreciate more what Bryan Ferry is doing solo. I think Ferry's solo work is misunderstood because it is always compared to his work with Roxy, but he is trying different things with it. It shouldn't be compared, it stands on its own. He's a great interpreter of pop standards and a fantastic, emotional singer. "Boys and Girls," "Bete Noire," and "Taxi" should be understood as melding blue-eyed soul music with ambient grooves. It's different than what Eno does, which uses experimental song sequences. I love both Eno and Ferry. Don't make me choose between parents!
I'm looking forward to hunting down the solo careers of Andy Mackay and Phil Manzanera. They are such skilled musicians. Mackay is especially important to me because some of our family is from the clan Mackay. It got shortened to "Mack" and one of my Great Uncles, Jack Mack, used to play oboe for the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra and also ran an oboe camp. I love how Mackay played the oboe on "Ladytron." Haunting. Also, did you all see how he played the saxphone upside down on the Musik Laden DVD during "Re-Make/Re-Model?" Of course, we'll always treasure the time when Ferry walks out at the end of "A Song For Europe" and Mackay steps out on the saxophone. "Ladies and Gentleman, Andy Mackay!"

Thank you for reading.