VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Please Help: About "Angel Eyes" Video.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:58 am 

What is that double trumpet like instrument that Andy Mackay plays in that video?

Post subject: Re: Please Help: About "Angel Eyes" Video.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:56 am 

http://www.marcoblaauw.com/en/instruments

Double-bell Trumpet

Post subject: Thank you! That's awesome!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 am 

:D I love that song and video. Does Andy Mackay ever play that on any other recording? It was used to such great effect there. He looks like the angel Moroni on those Mormon temple spires, playing that trumpet! :mrgreen:

Thanks again, for the prompt reply and the link. You all are so kind here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:23 pm 

More Eccentric blowing stuff..

I never saw Andy with these, well yet to see anyway.. ;)

Contra-bassoon;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEvY5q_D ... re=related

Bass-Saxophone;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh7TuPsOBUM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:17 am 

Anyone know if Andy actually "plays" the double trumpet? Brass instruments (e.g. trumpet) and reed ones (e.g. saxophone) are hugely different disciplines, so I'd always assumed he was miming in the video (which might otherwise have seemed more like a BF solo single).

Post subject: Good question! It's difficult to tell with music videos.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:13 am 

It was a striking visual effect, either way though. As I wrote before, it's iconic, like Moroni, the angel, blowing his trumpet in heaven.

I've seen Mackay play various shapes of saxophones on "The Thrill of It All" DVD over the years. I don't know enough about instruments to identify them. I'd like to think that he would be able to play the double trumpet, but I don't know for sure.

The lead singer usually gets the spotlight in both music videos and concerts. The audience tends to want to see who is singing over who is not singing in the band. Music with vocals relates to verbal communication. We want to see the person who is talking/singing because facial expressions and gestures give context to the message. Too much has been made of Bryan Ferry's ego over the years. I don't know him personally, but as a performer he would always step back or even walk off the stage while the Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, Eddie Jobson, Chris Spedding, and company took their solos. Take for instance perfomances of "A Song For Europe" where Ferry walks off the stage and Mackay solos on saxophone. Ferry returns only when Mackay finishes and says, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Andy Mackay!" That's good manners. :)

As for, "Angel Eyes," that fares pretty well. There are a lot of close-ups of Ferry while he's singing, but it does show Gary Tibbs, Paul Thompson, Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, and the harpists (who are they?), so you know who plays what in the band. I have a bit of a soft spot for that song and the video because I am a religious person and believe that it's testimony that their music is divinely beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:03 pm 

>As for, "Angel Eyes," that fares pretty well. There are a lot of close-ups of Ferry while he's singing, but it does show Gary Tibbs, Paul Thompson, Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, and the harpists (who are they?), so you know who plays what in the band. I have a bit of a soft spot for that song and the video because I am a religious person and believe that it's testimony that their music is divinely beautiful.<

Yeah, can see your point. My instant recognition was of Wagnerian style, the harp and the trumpet (double-bell) still can't find out which overture. Very significant back in 1979, very appealing. Maybe Lohengrin.

Though Wagner used trumpets and trombones, he also in a broad scale used walt-horns, and Wagner-horns, and of cause, the harp. If you like the latter, you might like the music of Julia Thornton of Andy's band The Metaphors.

Speaking of Richard Wagner.. Andy jazzed up The Ride of the Valyries (from Nibellungenring) the seventies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wTpfQoF1-s

:)

Post subject: Wow, thanks! I did realize the Wagnerian reference.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 am 

I knew that Wagner was a big influence on Bryan Ferry and Andy Mackay. There was a lot of German influences: the Lorelei in "Editions of You," "strasse girls," in "Streetlife," and of course, the German verse in "Bittersweet."
Thanks for the link to Mackay playing Wagner!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:24 am 

and think also Bryan covered a couple of German Kurt Weill songs.

amongst them, "The September Song". I've heard this song covered by many artists, he does it surprisingly well, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjyZTIofxMo

Post subject: Thanks for the link!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:44 am 

I'm glad he did "September Song." Thank you for pointing out Kurt Weill. Weill was part of the inspiration behind "Bittersweet."